Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Exactly. I despair at the hate for him. Not sure how people who hate him for his views have friends that don't have exactly the same views as themselves. If so rather hypocritical.

trailer

Some of the stuff on here and other social media is embarrassing. Like I said he actually went up in my estimation.

magpie seanie

I quite like Rory but I lament the fact he seems to get in his own way and fails to get the most out of his amazing talent. I think he's ill equipped for the fame his career brings and often falls between stools trying to please people and not being himself.

Shane is an extremely likeable character. I felt really sorry for him after the US Open but always felt he would see it out if the same opportiunity arose again and did he ever. It actually suited him to a tee yesterday. Showed exactly how to play links golf, especially with a lead. The Americans just can't function in those conditions.

It's a great moment.

armaghniac

Quote from: Mario on July 22, 2019, 02:31:30 PM
Quote from: dec on July 22, 2019, 02:25:08 PM
Quote from: square_ball on July 22, 2019, 01:28:47 PM
He put a fantastic post up on Instagram about Lowry.

Haters gonna hate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0NyOchoFp-/
People just hate McIlroy no matter what he does. He blew the biggest weekend of his life, was done by Friday and obviously devastated yet people thought he should hang about until Sunday just in case Shane Lowry managed to put together 2 good days on Sat and Sun to win the open.

why shouldn't he support Portrush which probably helped him get where he is today?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on July 22, 2019, 02:48:52 PM
Quote from: Mario on July 22, 2019, 02:31:30 PM
Quote from: dec on July 22, 2019, 02:25:08 PM
Quote from: square_ball on July 22, 2019, 01:28:47 PM
He put a fantastic post up on Instagram about Lowry.

Haters gonna hate.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0NyOchoFp-/
People just hate McIlroy no matter what he does. He blew the biggest weekend of his life, was done by Friday and obviously devastated yet people thought he should hang about until Sunday just in case Shane Lowry managed to put together 2 good days on Sat and Sun to win the open.

why shouldn't he support Portrush which probably helped him get where he is today?

He's from Hollywood. He probably played Portrush a dozen times in his formative years.

That lad a few years older than him in school who stopped for a chat once, would have had as much influence on his career.

JimStynes

This thread is embarrassing.

Great seeing Shane Lowry winning yesterday and good seeing Portrush getting good reports.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2019, 02:52:42 PM
He's from Hollywood. He probably played Portrush a dozen times in his formative years.

That lad a few years older than him in school who stopped for a chat once, would have had as much influence on his career.

I know feck all about golf, so I am in no position to make a case, but I had the impression that the Open in Portrush was something of a showpiece for golf generally and likely supported by Ulster golf generally. If this impression is wrong then fair enough.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewobbler

Quote from: armaghniac on July 22, 2019, 03:15:05 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2019, 02:52:42 PM

I know feck all about golf, so I am in no position to make a case, but I had the impression that the Open in Portrush was something of a showpiece for golf generally and likely supported by Ulster golf generally. If this impression is wrong then fair enough.

That might be fair enough.

What's not fair enough is attempts to turn any tenuous, misunderstood, badly-researched thought processes into ammunition to use on McIlroy. All because he was brought up in a part of Ireland that doesn't think the same way as other parts.

If McIlroy had have spent the next 2 days in Portrush, it would either have been in restricted company - when he would have been described as an arrogant, pompous **** - or else surrounded by the media and/or fans who would have had the same conversation on repeat with him about the first hole, the 16th hole putt, and whether he has the cojones for major golf - which would have driven him mad and filled the papers too, which then would been misconstrued as him stealing Lowry's thunder.

He can't win with some people. It's brutally unfair.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: thewobbler on July 22, 2019, 03:27:05 PM

What's not fair enough is attempts to turn any tenuous, misunderstood, badly-researched thought processes into ammunition to use on McIlroy. All because he was brought up in a part of Ireland that doesn't think the same way as other parts.

He can't win with some people. It's brutally unfair.

He's from only place in Ireland to have a May pole!

Like us all he is a product of his background and upbringing which makes him very different from 99% of posters on this Board.

Hardy

Newstalk sports report after the hourly news this afternoon told us Shane Lowry was back on Irish soil after his victory and celebrating in Dublin.

Main Street

He's just been over the moon.

Hardy

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Hardy on July 22, 2019, 06:07:21 PM
Newstalk sports report after the hourly news this afternoon told us Shane Lowry was back on Irish soil after his victory and celebrating in Dublin.

Christ.

dec

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.