Automatic cars

Started by nifan, May 16, 2008, 04:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 16, 2008, 08:28:52 PM
Switched to a Saab 93 Auto 2 years ago and I will never never never never buy a manual car again.

That's just because you have what is viewed as a 'new' car in Longford.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: ONeill on May 16, 2008, 08:36:35 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 16, 2008, 08:28:52 PM
Switched to a Saab 93 Auto 2 years ago and I will never never never never buy a manual car again.

That's just because you have what is viewed as a 'new' car in Longford.

Since when do they have cars in Longford ?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

tyssam5

Automatics are a lot easier for city driving and are OK outside of that if you live in a fairly flat place with minimal corners (so no Ireland). Very annoying for rural driving, especially on hills, ie. can't switch down to assist braking coming into a corner, constantly underpowered on hills.

Never tried the tiptronic, apart from a test drive I think that would be good if you got used to it though.

ONeill

QuoteI'm at an age where getting an automatic gearbox was very high on my list of items when getting my current car.

Why?

Minus15

Quote from: ONeill on May 16, 2008, 08:23:33 PM
Drove an automatic in 96/97 and thought she was great. An oul Nissan Sunny estate. It was 15 yrs old though and drove her to Belfast once as I was curting a girl there and when I turned her off in CastleCourt she started herself again as I walked off. Reminded me of that Stephen King novel-cum-film Christine and freaked me out.

Had a bumpy relationship with her after that but I liked her cheeky nature and the way she's clip cyclists or maim dogs. Oh how we laughed.

was that the woman or the car o'neill? she sounds filthy! ;D

ONeill

Aerlik

I went for a spin in a new Toyota Aurion  a few weeks back.  It doesn't have the traditional handbrake but uses a foot pedal where the clutch would be in a manual car.  All was well in the automatic mode as I've been driving a Commodore over here (3.8L).  So I decided to change to the semi-automatic mode much the same as the auld Ulsterbuses used to be/still are.   Well Jayzus if I went and forgot it was an automatic, pressed the left foot lever and the thing slammed to a halt.  Funny now, but not for my son in the back seat at the time.  It seems the days of the big V6 and V8 in Oz are numbered with the fuel prices.  I was told the reason why so many large-engined cars are automatic is because they would burn through clutches otherwise in around cities.  Big v6 manuals are still around in the bush.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Fluffy Che

Big v6 manuals are still around in the bush.  Nice..

Great for town driving, smooth and relaxing. But if you still like to give her the old heave-ho, manual is the way to go..
Midnight to Six..

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThat's just because you have what is viewed as a 'new' car in Longford

Quote[Since when do they have cars in Longford ?

Jazes - you wouldn't want to be sensitive 'round these parts.

And for clarification the 93 Saab is not a 1993 Saab but the Nine-Three model as opposed to its bigger sister the Nine-Five.

It's actually 2001 reg and was originally owned by Daniel Day Lewis's 'butler'!

So there  :P

J70

Quote from: Aerlik on May 17, 2008, 06:49:47 AM
I went for a spin in a new Toyota Aurion  a few weeks back.  It doesn't have the traditional handbrake but uses a foot pedal where the clutch would be in a manual car. 

You find that a lot in American cars, particularly jeeps and large cars.

Roseyland

Quote from: J70 on May 17, 2008, 05:07:41 PM
Quote from: Aerlik on May 17, 2008, 06:49:47 AM
I went for a spin in a new Toyota Aurion  a few weeks back.  It doesn't have the traditional handbrake but uses a foot pedal where the clutch would be in a manual car. 

You find that a lot in American cars, particularly jeeps and large cars.

Driving a chevrolet impala in the states, has the same handbarake configuration (where the clutch would be) and the bloddy gear selector thingumebob is by the steering wheel. The car handles like a boat

nifan

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 16, 2008, 09:19:52 PM
I'm at an age where getting an automatic gearbox was very high on my list of items when getting my current car.

I have a 2.0 TFSI Audi A3 with a DSG gearbox.  It can be used as an automatic, a semi-auto by using the gear stick to move up and down the 6 gears or a paddle shift which can over-ride the automatic at anytime.

I think its brilliant, the gear shifts are very fast and with 6 gears it changes without over-reving the engine like most autos tend to do.  I can fully recommend it.  The fuel economy is not affected and due to the DSG box it can do 0-60 in less time than the manual  equivalent, 6.9 seconds compared to 7.1, not much but an illustration of the quality of the gearbox.  Great for town driving or long distance and the paddle shift adds a bit of fun for overtaking!

Same auto is available in a few other Audi models as well as VW, SEAT and Skoda models.  Try it before buying.

That Audi is the very model I was looking at! A good job all round you think then?

Billys Boots

I've an Audi automatic, and it's grand, have the tiptronic too, but never use it (and you won't either).  Manual will only save you on juice if you drive carefully - you won't save any fuel by ripping up to max revs before changing up (for instance  :P).  I drive manual cars a good bit too, and I don't have a major preference for either.  On a long journey, I find I'm less tired if I drive the automatic.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

We had a pool of cars in an old job and one of them was an Audi A4 Automatic.  I had rarely used it and one day I was coming out across the junction at the end of Castle Street heading for the Westlink.  I was coming to the lights and as they had turned amber and I was in a hurry I went to drop a gear to speed through them.  Forgetting it was an automatic I went to put my left foot on the "clutch" and nearly broke my neck with the self induced whiplash!!!!  Be careful is what I say and get used to it before you drive it in traffic!

Blacksheep

I drove one once on holiday and it takes a bit of getting used to. I didn't know they are harsder on the juice. what sort of % difference is there?
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!