Station Masses

Started by Puckoon, February 14, 2008, 04:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Does anyone still do these? I remember being at one when I was very young, and everyone was all excited about the sandwiches and the cream buns. I know this is the time of year for them, does anyone frequent them or even host them in their house?

ziggysego

Been a while since I was at one, but they have quite regularly. At least around Greencastle anyway.
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on February 14, 2008, 04:50:48 PM
Does anyone still do these? I remember being at one when I was very young, and everyone was all excited about the sandwiches and the cream buns. I know this is the time of year for them, does anyone frequent them or even host them in their house?

Oh yeah. Stations are still big enough. Cue mass spring cleaning, Painting of rooms, buying of curtains, 3 calves being killed, four pigs and 6 lambs.

Bord na Mona man

Certain dioceses still have them and others don't as I recall.
Ardagh and Clonmacnoise still do, whereas I never recall them in the Meath diocese.
Some lads only go to them for the soup and sandwiches after.
They were great craic for you young lads.
The hallways and bedrooms were great places for tittering and laughter during the solemn proceedings down in the kitchen!

Drumanee 1

still happen round our way(bellaghy),usually new houses take them and ye have every nosy fcuker in the parish there just to get a gaw at the house ::)

Puckoon

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on February 14, 2008, 05:13:57 PM
still happen round our way(bellaghy),usually new houses take them and ye have every nosy fcuker in the parish there just to get a gaw at the house ::)

What do you mean take them? Offer to host? Or get directed to?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

gerry

heading to one on friday night in omagh, missing a game of cards due to it.    :'( :'(
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

The Real Laoislad

I thought this was going to be a thread about over crowding in train stations
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rossfan

Still going strong in Ros thankfully.
We do our bit to keep the old ways.
For example we also still have bonfire night on 23rd June. A lot of people from all over the country never even heard of this old Irish custom :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

stephenite

Quote from: Rossfan on February 14, 2008, 09:07:38 PM
A lot of people from all over the country never even heard of this old Irish custom :o

Serioulsy? Still a big thing in North Mayo also, but I thought it was quite common, up and down the Western seaboard in particular.

Blacksheep

Would it be a good place to meet anice catholic girl?
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

gerry

Quotea nice catholic girl?

do you know were to get one.

she wouldn'y even have to be a catholic or even nice
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Blacksheep

Well if shes going to something like this she should be catholic.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

ziggysego

Quote from: Blacksheep on February 14, 2008, 10:19:33 PM
Well if shes going to something like this she should be catholic.

Could be Mrs. EG spying on us ;)
Testing Accessibility