Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Was Luke Shaw not a right full back at Southampton?  He just does noy look comfortable at left full
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: TabClear on October 25, 2018, 12:17:06 PM
Quote from: Boycey on October 25, 2018, 12:08:37 PM
They ALL buy players Seanie

Guardiola 22 at City (despite inheriting by far the best squad)
Klopp 19 at Liverpool
Poch 22 at Spurs
Mourinho 10 at Utd......

ZZ only bought 6 at Real but the riches he inherited meant he didn't need to.

Where did you get the figures from Boycey? Only looking at Klopp but I cant think of the 19 player he signed, I'm probably in the low teens?

I make it 13 players bought by Klopp.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 25, 2018, 11:47:32 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 25, 2018, 11:19:59 AM
Going into November its clear Mourinho is not walking at this stage. Knocked out of the league cup by an average championship club,10th in the league and out of the title race by early October,Champions league qualification hanging by thread,only 2 home wins all season and manager that prides himself on defence has his side defending so poor.

It's his 3rd season with United they have regressed badly from last year, If he was managing another big named club in Europe he would be sacked by now but it seems the business men owners are going to let the season run until its mathematically impossible to reach the top 4 of the league.

All that Pocchetino would bring is better football to watch is that enough? a club of Uniteds size and wealth should at the very least challenge for the league title and i can't see that happening under Pochettino.

Spurs put in two very credible title challenges under him with miniscule resources compared to what United have. It's crazy to suggest he couldn't at the very least challenge for a title. Players improve under him. As they have done under Guardiola, Klopp, Zidane to name but a few. A coach is supposed to work with players to get the best out of them.....not just buy lads when he can't get others to do what he thinks is right. I'm not saying Pochettino is the answer but wasting the rest of this season definitely isn't the answer either.

Manchester United has always been a step forward from Spurs and I can't see that changing.

I wouldn't call 2015/16 finishing the season on 70 points and 11 points behind Leicester City as a credible title challenge. Man United is a big step up for any manager and IMO they need a better fit maybe some like Laurent Blanc who already has managed a big European club winning 3 league titles,won a league title for Bordeaux and he has played of United so should know what the club are about and what they stand for.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 25, 2018, 12:30:59 PM
Was Luke Shaw not a right full back at Southampton?  He just does noy look comfortable at left full
No, always a left back. He has been one of United's most impressive players this year and just signed a new contract. He's one of about 3 players who i'd keep in the team. Not sure what you're watching to be honest.

snoopdog

Poch plays good football yes. But is he a winner? He failed miserably.when leicester city won the title. Is he the bottler or is it a spurs tradition.
New stadiums dont give teams enough capital anymore to compete. A fraction of uts income comes from gate receipts and they have the biggest stadium im the PL. Do you thimk if match day income was the main source of income utd would still be in a 76k capacity stadium. No chance it would be 100k plus

tommysmith

Quote from: snoopdog on October 25, 2018, 03:37:06 PM
Poch plays good football yes. But is he a winner? He failed miserably.when leicester city won the title. Is he the bottler or is it a spurs tradition.
New stadiums dont give teams enough capital anymore to compete. A fraction of uts income comes from gate receipts and they have the biggest stadium im the PL. Do you thimk if match day income was the main source of income utd would still be in a 76k capacity stadium. No chance it would be 100k plus

How exactly did he fail?

snoopdog

Quote from: tommysmith on October 25, 2018, 03:39:54 PM

How exactly did he fail?
He is lauded as one of the best managers around yet he has won nothing and lost out to a team like leicester. Glorious failure the tottenham way. Ranieri won a league title yet gets absolutely no praise.

gawa316

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 25, 2018, 12:37:21 PM
Quote from: TabClear on October 25, 2018, 12:17:06 PM

Klopp 19 at Liverpool
Poch 22 at Spurs
Mourinho 10 at Utd......

Where did you get the figures from Boycey? Only looking at Klopp but I cant think of the 19 player he signed, I'm probably in the low teens?

I make it 13 players bought by Klopp.

I think it is 19 but includes players like Phillips, George and kabara also Manninger who never played a competitive game. Of the others, Karius is the only one you would not consider to have been a success. All the others have shown progress, become better players with varying degrees of success.

Of the 10 signed by Mourinho, who could you say the same about?

Boycey

Lads yis are turning this into something I wasnt intending its not a comparison or a competition I was just countering a point that Seanie made that I took to mean Mourinho was a buying manager and the others werent..

But since you asked :)

Zlatan - huge success, pity he rushed back from injury too quick as we could have got more from him (still might  ;))
Mykitryan - poor, gone
Bailly- young for a centre back, too injury prone, has potential
Lindelof- same as above without the injury bit
I'd suspect both were bought to replace 2 of Jones, Smalling, Rojo and be paired with a big name world class centre back who still hasn't arrived..
Pogba - Decent, has certainly improved United's chance creation stats from midfield but in terms of being a World record transfer has a lot of room to improve.
Sanchez - a disaster thus far, is he even Mourinhos signing though?
Lukaku - A level below the very best strikersbut good enough for United currently. Good first season, terrible at present. Suffers from poor service, people have this expectation of him being a Drogba type player but he's not, he's a box striker like an Andy Cole..
Matic - Was very good for a lot of last year, tailed off and I don't think playing in the World Cup helped, poor this season.
Fred - worrying I suppose that he's not in United team but a bit like Fabinho could be taking time to settle in England. To early to say.
Dalot-19 and recovering from surgery definitely one for the future couldn't possibly grade him..

tommysmith

Quote from: snoopdog on October 25, 2018, 04:06:03 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on October 25, 2018, 03:39:54 PM

How exactly did he fail?
He is lauded as one of the best managers around yet he has won nothing and lost out to a team like leicester. Glorious failure the tottenham way. Ranieri won a league title yet gets absolutely no praise.

Lost out they were 9 points behind at Christmas and 11 at end of season?

yellowcard

Klopp 19 at Liverpool
Poch 22 at Spurs
Mourinho 10 at Utd......

That's just another example of confirmation bias.

Designed to paint a picture that Mourinho has been given limited resources when most rational people know that this is clearly not the case.

I could equally throw out another stat about gross spend, net spend or wage bill which would paint an entirely different picture. And it predates Mourinho's appointment, it began under the Woodward regime with some of the ludicrous contracts offered to the likes of Rooney, Falcao, Di Maria, Ibrahimovic etc which has caused a spiralling of wages which has culminated in the lucrative Sanchez deal. That's not Mourinho's fault but it is a recipe for creating ill feeling within a dressing room if the level of wages are not in line with actual performances. 

Boycey

Did you read my last post?

rodney trotter

Quote from: Denn Forever on October 25, 2018, 12:30:59 PM

Not sure how he doesn't look comfortable when he is left footed playing at left back. He was always a left back. He has made some turnaround from not getting a run and out of form, to signing a new contract and back with the England squad

Bord na Mona man

There are different transfer strategies at work. Liverpool's model targets younger promising players who should recoup a decent transfer value if they move on. Every 4 or 5 years they might come to the boil and have a decent heave at winning a title.

For the last 5 years United have probably felt they were a magic bullet signing away from winning the league again. It worked in the past with Cantona and Van Persie. Hence the short termism recruitment of star names like Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Ibrahimovic and Sanchez, whose best days were behind them as it turned out.