The Open 2017

Started by Boycey, July 17, 2017, 01:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

This ones not likely to be a putting contest for the boomers.

Paudie, Lee the chokemonster and big Reedo for me.

ONeill

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 17, 2017, 06:16:47 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 17, 2017, 04:45:35 PM
Sky are live from the course every afternoon this week, they just gave a not very positive weather forecast with it getting gradually more windy and showery over the weekend..
Big Dazza nailed on again. O'Neill will be lumping on.

Stuck a quid on him in Portstewart. Think he finished last but one. Slowly paying back the £800.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

highorlow

Speith all the way for me.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Low and Hard

Love to see Harrington go well this week. His new crazy swing seems to be working.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Boycey on July 17, 2017, 02:50:46 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2017, 02:18:00 PM
The British Open.

Nope just the Open Championship

I suppose you're one of these Irish people that talks about "The Queen" as well.

Boycey

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 18, 2017, 09:04:43 AM
The British Open.

I suppose you're one of these Irish people that talks about "The Queen" as well.

What a really strange thing to say.

Orior

Quote from: Boycey on July 18, 2017, 09:22:10 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 18, 2017, 09:04:43 AM
The British Open.

What a really strange thing to say.

To be fair, its the old british empire arrogance thing that means the British Open is called the Open.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thewobbler

Let's not have this discussion.

It's the Open Championship because it's the original open championship in golf. It's entitlement, not a sense of entitlement.

Hardy

Quote from: thewobbler on July 18, 2017, 10:24:04 AM

It's the Open Championship because it's the original open championship in golf. It's entitlement, not a sense of entitlement.

Ah no. Let's have it anyway. I'll put the argument for the opposing view. It's another (OK, tiny) example of the cultural imperialism that makes a security guard at Manchester Airport feel free to abuse Irish people on the assumption that the British way of doing things is right by default and the Irish one wrong for the same reason. Even though the truth is the opposite. 

Only, in that case, Seanie's wife not being a forelock-tugging peasant who would stand for such shite, the casual assumption of superiority wasn't facilitated by the responding cultural cringe that compels some Irish people to refer to the Irish army, for instance, when they mean the army - our army. Or the mainland, when they mean Great Britain. Or even to think the term 'Great Britian' means that the UK state is great.

There - whooda thunk the name of a golf tournament was related to the behaviour of a security man? Everything's connected.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2017, 10:59:43 AM

Ah no. Let's have it anyway. I'll put the argument for the opposing view. It's another (OK, tiny) example of the cultural imperialism that makes a security guard at Manchester Airport feel free to abuse Irish people on the assumption that the British way of doing things is right by default and the Irish one wrong for the same reason. Even though the truth is the opposite. 

Only, in that case, Seanie's wife not being a forelock-tugging peasant who would stand for such shite, the casual assumption of superiority wasn't facilitated by the responding cultural cringe that compels some Irish people to refer to the Irish army, for instance, when they mean the army - our army. Or the mainland, when they mean Great Britain. Or even to think the term 'Great Britian' means that the UK state is great.

There - whooda thunk the name of a golf tournament was related to the behaviour of a security man? Everything's connected.
But Boycey's from NI, so by that logic would he not be OK to say the Open?  ;)

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Orior

More importantly, who the hell is Dazza?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DennistheMenace

Even The Open thread isn't immune to political rubbish.  ::)

magpie seanie

Enjoyed that Hardy.  ;D

Boycey

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 18, 2017, 11:04:55 AM

But Boycey's from NI, so by that logic would he not be OK to say the Open?  ;)

I'm appalled that someone could think I'm from NI unless you think Ulster and NI are the same thing  ;D.

If I'd put the thread up any other week I probably would have called it 'The British Open 2017' just to distinguish but I think this week it's obvious what I'm talking about. Boylesports have coupons for 'The Open Championship' Sky certainly think that's what it's called, even the US PGA App agrees..

Rory probably calls it the British Open though?

Sky's live show in the afternoons was brilliant yesterday, John Rahm playing out of green side bunker with a 4 iron and Padraig being Padraig.. fantastic entertainment..

Tony Baloney

Luckily The Queen isn't opening The Open or there would be hell to pay.