2017 AFL Season

Started by Aerlik, March 16, 2017, 03:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

This season had thrown up major upsets practically every week. While the Swans beating the Bulldogs well might not be regarded as an upset most seasons it is this time.  Swans on their day can beat or be beaten by anyone.  Freo snapping brisbanes losing streak was a shock but the the if the round was 2nd bottom Carlton beating 2nd from top and flag favourites the Giants by a point. This game was great viewing for the neutral with a lot of end to end action.

Other notable result was Essendon handing Port a real hiding to nice into the top 8. Essendon have some real stars in Hurley, Fantasia, Tippet Woody and Daniher and if the likes of Hepple, Watson and Hooker continue to improve after t their enforced year of they could make a real impact in September. Connor McKenna was outstanding as well and got rave reviews. Great moment in the commentary where one of the local commentators said McKenna was from Northern England and was quickly (and sharply ) corrected by co-commentator Tadgh Kennelly

The Subbie

Quote from: TabClear on June 12, 2017, 09:44:39 PM
This season had thrown up major upsets practically every week. While the Swans beating the Bulldogs well might not be regarded as an upset most seasons it is this time.  Swans on their day can beat or be beaten by anyone.  Freo snapping brisbanes losing streak was a shock but the the if the round was 2nd bottom Carlton beating 2nd from top and flag favourites the Giants by a point. This game was great viewing for the neutral with a lot of end to end action.

Other notable result was Essendon handing Port a real hiding to nice into the top 8. Essendon have some real stars in Hurley, Fantasia, Tippet Woody and Daniher and if the likes of Hepple, Watson and Hooker continue to improve after t their enforced year of they could make a real impact in September. Connor McKenna was outstanding as well and got rave reviews. Great moment in the commentary where one of the local commentators said McKenna was from Northern England and was quickly (and sharply ) corrected by co-commentator Tadgh Kennelly

Correct.  This round in particular was shock after shock, beginning with Swans/ Western Bulldogs & ending  with Melbourne/ Pies game last night.
McKenna was in super form , I've seen him a few times this year and he is improving game by game, his handling in particular is outstanding.
On a seperate note is Kennellys accent becoming more annoying ? He seems to put a more "straya " 
Twang on when a microphone is put under his nose , maybe it's just my hearing.

JimStynes

Quote from: The Subbie on June 12, 2017, 11:16:48 PM
Quote from: TabClear on June 12, 2017, 09:44:39 PM

Correct.  This round in particular was shock after shock, beginning with Swans/ Western Bulldogs & ending  with Melbourne/ Pies game last night.
McKenna was in super form , I've seen him a few times this year and he is improving game by game, his handling in particular is outstanding.
On a seperate note is Kennellys accent becoming more annoying ? He seems to put a more "straya " 
Twang on when a microphone is put under his nose , maybe it's just my hearing.

Probably so they can understand him and also he has been there a long time now. Annoying how the Aussies can't understand our accent but we can understand them perfectly fine!

Aerlik

Firstly, thank you to the many who sent me emails, text messages, and for the phone calls, and flowers and chocolates.  Your concern for my absence was welcome.  I have had the diagnosis.  Win-itis, a condition brought on by your team's...ummmm....slump in form.  You'll get my drift.

Round Ten – Indigenous Round, a celebration of the contribution our indigenous players have made and are making to the game of Aussie Rules.

Geelong 81-79 Port Adelaide
When the going gets tough...well, it is often the big name player who wins the day and in Patrick Dangerfield, Geelong had precisely that.  A superb performance from the Brownlow medallist capped off by the winning goal in the last minute or so.  Tuohy had a very solid game and is having a great season.  But the game will be forever remembered as the Charlie Dixon debacle when the big man had a shot for goal with time running out.  However he forgot about the 30-second rule and got tackled before he could get his kick in.  Oh dear....

Hawthorn 81-75 Sydney
Talk about the big name player...step forward Jarrod Roughead.  This time last year he was battling the fight of his life against cancer so it was appropriate I suppose that the small matter of taking a kick for the winning goal in front of tens of thousands and millions more on TV was chicken feed.  And so it proved.  The ball never changed trajectory after it left his boot.  A sensational finish to a great game.  Dislike both teams but wouldn't have minded which team won after that game.

Western Bulldogs 90-50 St. Kilda
Oops the Saints are not flying as well as earlier in the season.  The bulldogs are ticking over.  Not a great game, I must say.

Melbourne 122-87 Gold Coast
Great win for the Demons.  Certainly much improved from the past 10 years.  God they were woeful.  Questions are being asked about the merits of both the Gold Coast as a playing unit and the boss, Rodney Eade.  Fair call.  They must be seething at the success of GWS.

Richmond 81-66 Essendon
Dreamtime at the G.  A celebration of Indigenous Culture at the home of the AFL.  However, I didn't see a single kick of the ball.  Richmond's best season for quite a while continues but the Bombers slipped up.

Adelaide A lot-A lot less Fremantle.
Don't want to even talk about it.  Shite, balderdash, garbage....oh, I should stop being so complimentary...I'm serious.

Collingwood 129-84 Brisbane.
Didn't see the game  but the win meant just a little less pressure on Buckley, the Collingwood coach.  Brisbane are still firmly anchored to the bottom. 

North Melbourne 113-96 Carlton
Another game I didn't see but it was a fair game according to the reports.  Still the roos are in average state and have been a monumental flop this season.  As for Caaaaaaalton, the shite continues.

GWS 98-90 Themmuns
Oh there is nothing as sweet as a Freo shocker followed by the Drug Kings stuffing up at home and throwing away a victory.  The game isn't over until it is.  Some need to learn that.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Aerlik

Week Eleven – Bye round

Port Adelaide 98 – 47 Hawthorn
What a difference a week makes.  This game was dire.  It was so bad.  It has to have been the worst prime time game of the season so far.  I actually switched off at half time.  Shite.

Geelong 96-74 Adelaide
Take a bow Zac Tuohy.  Great performance from the Laois maestro as he kept the usually brilliant Eddie Betts to a single goal and very little influence.  This was an enjoyable game to watch and you can't help thinking that providing they stay injury free, the Cats could be the business this year.

Gold Coast 80-77 Themmuns
Didn't I just say in the last round that the game isn't over until it is?  Hahahahahahahahaaaa, jaysus this was an enjoyable last five minutes to watch.  The rest of the game was dismal. 

Greater Western Sydney 117-101 Essendon
A gallant effort from the Bombers it has to be said.  But the Giants midfield was just too good.

Richmond 101-66 North Melbourne
While not one of the classic rivalries, these two have developed an healthy disrespect for each other, or at least as far as the fans go.  Didn't see the game...

Collingwood 105-85 Freo
...but I did see this.  Grrrrrr.  Not a happy chappy.  Week Two without our big ruckman and the midfield fell apart.  Not auguring well for the 2019 season onwards as the big man has signed on for one more season while he grooms our new ruck, the 6'9" 19 year-old Sean Darcy.  Wonder if he has Derry ancestry?  Could do with him in our midfield, too.  The game was interesting as it was close until the last 5 minutes but some abysmal kicking by Freo game the game to the pies.  Third win in a row and the premiership is Collingwood's or so you'd think, listening to the Melbourne meeeja.

Aerlik

WEEK TWELVE (and so began my worst week of footy tipping...)

Sydney 88-42 Footscray
Jaysus I didn't see this one coming.   And it was abysmal to watch.  Switched over the tv at half time.  I missed nothing thereafter.

Adelaide 111 – 54 St. Kilda
Yup, as predicted.  The crows resumed business and the poor saints suffered as a result.

Gold Coast 95-79 Hawthorn
Not even Alastair Clarkson's indirect reference to poor umpiring (for which he got substantially fined – the umpires are a protected species in the game) could take away from this effort.  Credit to the Suns and to Gary Ablett Jr.  The wee maestro (relatively speaking of course, he is around 6-foot) had a superb game.  Clarkson has conceded that the Hawks are in a rebuild and will not play finals this year.  Boo-fekkin-hoo.

Brisbane A lot – A lot less Freo
Don't want to talk about it.

Essendon 131-61 Port Adelaide
What a win for the Bombers and what a game from their resident bushman, Conor McKenna.  That first half was one of the best halves of footy I've watched in a long time as the Bombers were so dominant.  But I want to talk about the interview afterwards.  Firstly, Tadhg Kennelly is a bollix. Couldn't he have just said Conor was from the north of the country?  Secondly, much much credit to Conor for his reply to being from "Northern Ireland".  I paraphrase "Well it's all the same country to us."  Suddenly, a bushman I have time for. Good man Conor.  I know you read this segment.

Carlton 71-70 GWS
The shock of the round when second from the top lost to second from the bottom.  Even Freo's first minute and subsequent capitulation didn't even register on the shock scale compared to this win. 

Melbourne 104-100 Collingwood
Damn, I forgot all about this game.  It was on Monday, traditionally a public holiday in Victoria when the Mexicans honour some English queen.  Hmmph, stupid Victorians.   A great win for Melbourne, and the rest of Australia celebrated with them as the blatantly pro-Collingwood Vic meeeja are getting annoying.

Well there you have it...that is why I missed the updates.  Freo were the fault.  Again.   :'( Bwaaaawaaaawaaaaa.  :'( And we play Geelong next.  BWAAAAAWAAAAWAAAAA.  :-[ :'( :( :-\ :'(

However, Mini-me saved my soul with a stunning goal from the the corner pocket with the outside of the right peg.  I couldn't believe it and am still in disbelief, but apparently he does it all the time at footy training.

Aerlik

Round Thirteen

Themmuns 83-70 Geelong
Chrissakes, every game I tip the trash to win this season they lose, and every time I tip against them...well, they fekkin win.  Aaaaagh.  And I won't even begin to comment how not as bad as usual they played.  Jaysus I am choking on this.  This is not pleasant.  Shocking kicking by the Geelong forwards didn't help matters.  And to add insult to injury, the fekkin Match Review Panel let both Shuey and Selwood off deliberate and intentional striking charges.  Fukkin joke.

St. Kilda 89 - 72 North Melbourne.
St. Kilda almost did a Richmond (more on that next, lol) and threw away the game in the last quarter.  Only watched the highlights of this one so my critique is somewhat limited.  Shite season for the Roos continues.

Sydney 80 - 71 Richmond
Yep, the tigers throw yet another almost certain win away in the last quarter.  They were up by 36 points late in the second quarter and proceeded to lose.  Oh how the melbourne meeja are loving this.  God they're vultures.  The swans are continuing their rejuvenation and perhaps, just perhaps my prediction of a Swans Grand Final might come to fruition.  Maybe against Freo.  Maybe not.

Port Adelaide 121 - 81 Brisbane
Yep, as expected. Dear God that thumping of last week is really hurting now.  If only....ah fekkit, the power of retrospect.

Carlton 83 - 73 Gold Coast
I now have more reasons to dislike Cyaaaaaaaaltin.  Ok, first things first, their deliberate antagonising and targetting Gary Ablett Jr's injured shoulder was simply reprehensible.  Is that sport? Sure in martial arts it's accepted but the Melbourne meeja have been noticeably silent on this.  However, the game was marked by the awful injury to ex-Freo and one of my favourites, Michael Barlow.  Sickening.  He broke his leg again.  Up to that point, the Suns had been staging a great fightback and were within a kick of the blues.  But the injury meant a 10-minute delay and they lost their momentum resulting in the blues kicking two more to seal the win.
Not impressed, at all.

Melbourne 113 - 56 Western Bulldogs
Oh dear, the Fitzroy Grand Final hangover continues.  Shocking first quarter with a meagre one point versus 4.1 for the Demons set the win up for what is becoming a pretty reasonable year for them.  There wasn't a single game on normal TV this weekend and that was a damned shame as I would've liked to have watched this game.  Oh well, the insiduous tentacles of the Murdoch empire stretches.

This was the last of the bye-rounds and it's back to normality next weekend.  For Freo, it's Geelong in Geelong.  And there was every pun intended in my use of "normality"  (Groan!)

Another massive win for mini-me's U-16 Belmont Bombers, and he kicked a few himself. 

TabClear

Good to have you back Aerlik for your "impartial" views on all thing eagles! ;D How has Sam Mitchell been received in Perth? Was always one of my favourite players and any games I've seen this year he seems to be still playing at a very high level.

When you see 3 weeks results and summaries posted together like that you realise just how f**ked up this season had been. Bookies must be loving it as picking an accumulator is practically impossible every week.

Fuzzman

Good man Aerlik
I saw the video on here and it made me laugh. I think the Aussies can't understand a word he says.
Sounds like he's playing some stuff our young McKenna lad and doesn't sound like he's too homesick so I can't see him returning to play for Tyrone any time soon. Good luck you ya Conor

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/conor-mckenna-australian-tv-interview-367024

Taylor

McKenna is a real gem - wish he was still here

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Taylor on June 21, 2017, 04:06:45 PM
He is a fine player.  Played very well again today against the Swans and were very unlucky to loose 86 - 85 to a last second goal - it was a fantastic game of football. 

stephenite

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on June 23, 2017, 01:25:56 PM
Quote from: Taylor on June 21, 2017, 04:06:45 PM
He is a fine player.  Played very well again today against the Swans and were very unlucky to loose 86 - 85 to a last second goal - it was a fantastic game of football.

Great game from McKenna last night, it was a great game to watch.

Still not clear on the Hawkeye interpretation - that monster kick from Buddy looked a dead cert goal to me?

The Subbie

Yeah McKenna is improving with every game , looking more comfortable and composed as the season progresses, the Aussies both media & fellas I work with are raving about his kicking but what has really impressed me is his handling.
His anticipation and reading of the game and the ball along side his handling constant impress me and I can see constant improvement every time I see him.
Fair play to him and the best of luck to him, as a Monaghan man I'm glad to see him playing AFL !!!!

An Astrail

Quote from: stephenite on June 24, 2017, 12:14:25 AM
Great game from McKenna last night, it was a great game to watch.

Still not clear on the Hawkeye interpretation - that monster kick from Buddy looked a dead cert goal to me?

Hawkeye is simple - there is a blind man in the box and his labrador picks the outcome of the review at random.  ;)

McKenna has that ability to run the ball out and dodge the tacklers that Kennelly used to give the Swans. Fair kick on him too for the goal he got.

Fuzzman

Great stuff lads. Can you watch these games online anywhere? I mean not live but on youtube etc?