Documentaries

Started by 5 Sams, July 14, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilkevan

Quote from: Declan on July 04, 2017, 08:14:58 AM
QuoteSuperb documentary tonight about Johnny Giles on @rte....he needs a few lessons on Amhrán na bhFiann though..😬

Absolutely outstanding programme. Great insight into our best ever footballer

Did it go into his relationship with Clough at all? I'm not particularly interested in Giles himself but am somewhat obsessed with Brian Clough and would be curious to know the story from Giles' point-of-view.

Quote from: balladmaker on July 04, 2017, 12:50:09 PM
Superb Johnny Giles documentary.  He comes across as a decent fella, no airs or graces with him.  Definitely fair to call him Ireland's greatest ever player.

Never having seen him play I wouldn't be able to give him a fair assessment but was he seriously arguably better than George Best?

Syferus

I don't remember George Best ever playing for Ireland..

magpie seanie

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 20, 2017, 09:54:37 AM
QuoteSuperb documentary tonight about Johnny Giles on @rte....he needs a few lessons on Amhrán na bhFiann though..😬

Did it go into his relationship with Clough at all? I'm not particularly interested in Giles himself but am somewhat obsessed with Brian Clough and would be curious to know the story from Giles' point-of-view.

Superb Johnny Giles documentary.  He comes across as a decent fella, no airs or graces with him.  Definitely fair to call him Ireland's greatest ever player.

Never having seen him play I wouldn't be able to give him a fair assessment but was he seriously arguably better than George Best?

A true gael if ever there was one.

Kilkevan

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 20, 2017, 03:40:57 PM

Ah anti-English xenophobia... how refreshing...  ::)

Quote from: Syferus on July 20, 2017, 03:14:01 PM

Don't actually recall ever reading Giles played for a team called "Ireland". If my memory serves me, and I believe it does, he represented a team called "the Republic of Ireland". George Best played for "Northern Ireland"... Oh look, Ireland in both... Best was born in Belfast, Giles in Dublin, both Irish cities, both part of Ireland and hence both men were/are from the same country.

Syferus

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 20, 2017, 06:56:42 PM

Don't actually recall ever reading Giles played for a team called "Ireland". If my memory serves me, and I believe it does, he represented a team called "the Republic of Ireland". George Best played for "Northern Ireland"... Oh look, Ireland in both... Best was born in Belfast, Giles in Dublin, both Irish cities, both part of Ireland and hence both men were/are from the same country.

Giles played for the country whose name is Ireland. George Best played for the national team of Northern Ireland. Two separate entities. At least you know now so you won't make the mistake again in the future.

armaghniac

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2017, 12:15:44 AM

Giles played for the country that whose name is Ireland. George Best played for the national team of Northern Ireland. Two separate entities. At least you know now so you won't make the mistake again in the future.

Stop trying to act the troll.

The country does not have a team, the Football Association of Ireland has a team called the Republic of Ireland
http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/member-associations/index.html
and Giles both played and managed this team.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kilkevan

Giles played for the country that whose name is Ireland. George Best played for the national team of Northern Ireland. Two separate entities. At least you know now so you won't make the mistake again in the future.

Nope, Giles played for 26 counties of Ireland, Best played for 6 counties of Ireland (I don't know what history lessons you've had, but mine told me Ireland was 32 counties)... neither played for Ireland as an entire entity... Both were as Irish as one another... I know Free Staters like yourself think the North is some peculiar land up by where Santa Claus lives but it's as much Ireland as Roscommon, Kilkenny or anywhere else on this island.

I can't claim to have seen either play but know plenty who did and Giles v Best... sorry, there's only one winner as Ireland's greatest ever player (and I am certainly no Manchester United fan so I have no incentive in this), and he was (the) Best!

I might finish, as you pathetically tried to school me on what's Ireland and what isn't, by raising the point that the Irish passport is embossed with "Ireland" and "Eire" on the front... the only problem with your daft ideas is that anyone born on the island of Ireland, you know people from Dublin, Galway, Kilkenny, Cork, Limerick, even out of the way places that nobody cares about like Roscommon can carry that passport... but then people in Belfast, Derry, Newry are just every bit as entitled to it as we are... Sorry to wreck your bourgeois ideal of Irishness there, but how and ever.

armaghniac

Giles did organise the all Ireland team against Brazil, which was called Shamrock Rovers XI, so he did not share the small mindedness of some posters here.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kilkevan

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2017, 01:56:30 AM
Giles did organise the all Ireland team against Brazil, which was called Shamrock Rovers XI, so he did not share the small mindedness of some posters here.

Tis fair gas how some believe themselves to be true Irishmen... as long as that Irishness stops just north of Dundalk!

Syferus

Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2017, 01:34:33 AM

Stop trying to act the troll.

The country does not have a team, the Football Association of Ireland has a team called the Republic of Ireland
http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/member-associations/index.html
and Giles both played and managed this team.

I'm sitting here laughing at the idea that I'm the troll in this equation.

dec

When George Best and Pat Jennings made their international debuts.

magpie seanie

I'm not anti-English or xenophobic and quite admire Brian Clough actually. It's just I'm surprised that someone with your aversion to big balls and love of true gaels is so interested in soccer. Though maybe you were just talking shite to get a reaction.

Kilkevan

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 21, 2017, 08:10:50 AM

I'm not anti-English or xenophobic and quite admire Brian Clough actually. It's just I'm surprised that someone with your aversion to big balls and love of true gaels is so interested in soccer. Though maybe you were just talking shite to get a reaction.

I've no aversion to big balls when the idea is to get it past another team and into a small goal... I'm not entertained by a sport where you can win simply by hoofing a big round ball thirty feet into the air... The fact that you're still touchy about the subject only means you know there's truth in what I'm saying.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 21, 2017, 09:13:21 AM

I've no aversion to big balls when the idea is to get it past another team and into a small goal... I'm not entertained by a sport where you can win simply by hoofing a big round ball thirty feet into the air... The fact that you're still touchy about the subject only means you know there's truth in what I'm saying.

Did you enjoy Jack Charlton's era as Republic of Ireland manager?

Have you watched any gaelic football since the 1970's? People could say if they were being as childish as you that they're not entertained by a sport where you can win simply by lashing a little ball 90 yards down a pitch (people even give out loud cheers for it). Do you have a problem with points being scored in hurling? You seem very confused.......or a poor WUM.

Kilkevan

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 21, 2017, 09:18:50 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 21, 2017, 09:13:21 AM

Did you enjoy Jack Charlton's era as Republic of Ireland manager?

Have you watched any gaelic football since the 1970's? People could say if they were being as childish as you that they're not entertained by a sport where you can win simply by lashing a little ball 90 yards down a pitch (people even give out loud cheers for it). Do you have a problem with points being scored in hurling? You seem very confused.......or a poor WUM.

The fact that you're ssstttiiillllll going on about it suggests either I touched a nerve, and you don't like the truth behind what I said, or I've wummed you good and proper... Your choice...