Documentaries

Started by 5 Sams, July 14, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

QuoteSuperb documentary tonight about Johnny Giles on @rte....he needs a few lessons on Amhrán na bhFiann though..😬

Absolutely outstanding programme. Great insight into our best ever footballer

Billys Boots

Quote from: Declan on July 04, 2017, 08:14:58 AM
QuoteSuperb documentary tonight about Johnny Giles on @rte....he needs a few lessons on Amhrán na bhFiann though..😬

Absolutely outstanding programme. Great insight into our best ever footballer

Missed it last night, hope to get my hands on it for tonight. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

T Fearon

Was fortunate to see Johnny Giles play live in the flesh,up against Platini and he was on the winning side too at 36!Excellent programme though I was intrigued to hear John say he always felt less than Irish,and grew up to despise the GAA fraternity for looking down on him because he preferred soccer.One of Ireland's greatest ever sportspeople.

balladmaker

Superb Johnny Giles documentary.  He comes across as a decent fella, no airs or graces with him.  Definitely fair to call him Ireland's greatest ever player.

Syferus

Hard to see how you'd rate him above Brady who went to Italy at its height and became a legend or Keane who was the engine of a team that dominated English football for longer.

Main Street

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on July 04, 2017, 12:47:25 AM
ELEVEN MILLION Germans
Were Murdered AFTER WWII
By Richard K. Mariani
5-10-9

The book "Gruesome Harvest," should be on the mandatory highschool and college reading list for history and sociology. ......etc etc
More of your sniveling around this thread with your pro nazi hail good fellow Hitler cráp.
This is not a book discussion thread and
the documentary on the subject of ethnic Germans post WW2 has already been referenced here as well as that holocaust denial documentary ('Nazis were actually a benevolent force for humanity').
This is not a forum for blatantly furthering a political agenda, never mind a fascist nazi political agenda.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Syferus on July 04, 2017, 01:40:10 PM
Hard to see how you'd rate him above Brady who went to Italy at its height and became a legend or Keane who was the engine of team that dominated English football for longer.

Ok, I'll bite.  He was a craftsman of the passing game, like Brady, but was a ball-winner as well.  He was a ball-winner and motivator, like Keane, but had a passing and finishing game that was better. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ziggy90

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 04, 2017, 02:01:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 04, 2017, 01:40:10 PM
Hard to see how you'd rate him above Brady who went to Italy at its height and became a legend or Keane who was the engine of team that dominated English football for longer.

Ok, I'll bite.  He was a craftsman of the passing game, like Brady, but was a ball-winner as well.  He was a ball-winner and motivator, like Keane, but had a passing and finishing game that was better.

Indeed Billy. And as much as it pains me, I'd put Paul McGrath at the top.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Main Street

Giles was a ball winner because he could tackle like a combine harvester and emerge with the ball.
I think Giles had shins the size and strength of Cuchullain's.
Both Brady and Giles were the supreme professionals. Apart from that, Brady had more skills in his repertoire, both would be in my best ever Irish team at cm with Roy on the subs bench.
Could Roy even take a penalty? Afair, he never took a (scorable) free kick. ;D

I'd love to see the Giles' documentary. 

Taylor

Better than Keane & Brady?

Cant agree.

Brady had a skillset that was unrivalled IMHO. Keane was one of the top players in Europe for almost 10 years

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: T Fearon on July 04, 2017, 12:42:26 PM
Was fortunate to see Johnny Giles play live in the flesh,up against Platini and he was on the winning side too at 36!Excellent programme though I was intrigued to hear John say he always felt less than Irish,and grew up to despise the GAA fraternity for looking down on him because he preferred soccer.One of Ireland's greatest ever sportspeople.
He gives a good account of it here.
https://books.google.ie/books?id=dnTRzl3Uoe4C&pg=PT27&lpg=PT27source=bl&ots=NzfRzGjrps&sig=hK6mIzAPgeZbEkAo4poAg3dp9Ss&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjv9IS79u_UAhUHIlAKHeXQAfA4ChDoAQg6MAQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

T Fearon

Giles head and shoulders above Brady and Keane.He helped transform Leeds from a second division team to one of England's finest (after winning the FA Cup with Man Utd),equally as skilful as Brady,infinitely more skill than Keane,a better ball winner than Brady and as good a ball winner as Keane.He would have been brilliant in any era.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

T Fearon

Also saw Giles playing in Portadown in a friendly for Shamrock Rovers in 1980,where he received an excellent reception from the natives.

5 Sams

Joanna Lumley's India on ITV. Absolutely superb. So is the documentary ;) ;) EDIT: jaysus just noticed she's 71. Fine looking hen.
The Aristocrat Years