Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

achadh gallain

Watched The Hurricane last night - absolutely brilliant film, denzel washington is brilliant in it. A real "feel good" movie..

Also just started watching the Godfather trilogy.. have never seen it before an my da made me watch it on saturday night, half way through the second one now, an im very impressed!
It's great bein a student an havin all this free time to do nothin!!

longball

went to see Sex Drive last nite it was very funny two thumbs up.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

ONeill

Quote from: achadh gallain on January 19, 2009, 05:44:18 PM
Watched The Hurricane last night - absolutely brilliant film, denzel washington is brilliant in it. A real "feel good" movie..

Also just started watching the Godfather trilogy.. have never seen it before an my da made me watch it on saturday night, half way through the second one now, an im very impressed!

Sat down to watch the trilogy last month - great films but slightly less effective now if you were a Sopranos fan.

Watching Revolutionary Road tonight - a thoughts on it from those who've seen it?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Main Street

I've remarked on Rev Road before and thought that Kate Winslet put in a superb performance.
Thought it would have made a brilliant stage play.
Thought that the final scene between them exemplified with suitable intensity the climax of a relationship being shattered to pieces.

Like looking at another time in history, another world altogether, when a woman was supposed to find fulfillment within the 4 walls in a society that was (about to) undergoing shifts in social conciousness. A man's world extremly limited outlook and conservative.
A film where the insane was the voice of intelligence,  lobotomised and shut down.

I'll easily watch it a few times more before I get a better appreciation.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: achadh gallain on January 19, 2009, 05:44:18 PM

Cannot watch The Hurricane the same anymore since I read a website which tore the film to shreds...

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Main Street on January 19, 2009, 06:23:14 PM
I've remarked on Rev Road before and thought that Kate Winslet put in a superb performance.
Thought that the final scene between them exemplified with suitable intensity the climax of a relationship being shattered to pieces.

Like looking at another time in history, another world altogether, when a woman was supposed to find fulfillment within the 4 walls in a society that was (about to) undergoing shifts in social conciousness. A man's world extremly limited outlook and conservative.
A film where the insane was the voice of intelligence,  lobotomised and shut down.

Gonna have to download this... Don't think I would pay to watch it in the cinema...

Carmen Stateside

Taken, very good film with Liam Neeson.  Not being released until end of January, great copy on Torrent pond!

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 19, 2009, 06:36:28 PM
Taken, very good film with Liam Neeson.  Not being released until end of January, great copy on Torrent pond!

Saw it on pirate dvd, ok film, wouldnt say great, very predictable I thought

Main Street

In Taken, the plot was entirely predictable the action scenes enhanced by jittery camera work which is supposed to add to the effect but just camoflages the imposibility.
But Liam Neeson, you can't take your eyes off him, a natural performer, with every gesture fine tuned to perfection with effortless ease.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 19, 2009, 06:31:45 PM

Gonna have to download this... Don't think I would pay to watch it in the cinema...
Couldnt see you lasting 15 minutes with it Naill.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 19, 2009, 07:07:30 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 19, 2009, 06:31:45 PM

Couldnt see you lasting 15 minutes with it Naill.

I can be intellectual when I want to be... I will just have to put my serious head on before I sit down to watch it, maybe read the recession thread for a bit...

pintsofguinness

You dont need to be intellectual but it is quite....deep.  Have you got a deep side you've been hiding from us?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 19, 2009, 07:15:40 PM
You dont need to be intellectual but it is quite....deep.  Have you got a deep side you've been hiding from us?

You trying to tell me my deep side has not been shining through my back collection of posts??

I think I will like this film, and I will give an in depth review once I have seen it, analyse all the little nuances etc...

This thread is in for a treat!

pintsofguinness

QuoteI will give an in depth review once I have seen it, analyse all the little nuances etc...
Cant wait.

Rav67

ONL you're about as deep as a puddle in a paddling pool!