Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2008, 08:23:17 AM
I sat up untill 2.30am this morning watching 'The Deer Hunter'. What a shit movie >:(

:o  WHAT?  Thats one of my favourite movies of all time.
Keep 'er lit

bridgegael

dunno if these have been mentioned,  watched Rendition and Kiterunner both very good shows.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Zapatista

Quote from: The Gs Man on July 09, 2008, 09:54:53 AM
I sat up untill 2.30am this morning watching 'The Deer Hunter'. What a shit movie >:(

My house mate said that too but after we watched it lastnight I said to him it was shit and he said "fcuk that was pretty crap alright".

Dinny Breen

Saw The Mist at the weekend, surprisingly good and very jumpy, all in the head mind...
#newbridgeornowhere

The Claw

Saw wanted, absolutely ridiculous craic goin on it in. Some bits entertaining but in general, poor, not worth the admission fee. 3/10
Also saw Hancock, had the potential to be good, again, some parts are good, good storyline, action and acting but there was just something missing to make it a good film. 6/10

Onion Bag

Watched American Gangster at the weekend, thought it was brilliant!
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The Gs Man

Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2008, 10:00:56 AM

My house mate said that too but after we watched it lastnight I said to him it was shit and he said "fcuk that was pretty crap alright".

:o  Maybe it's just because Im big into stuff about the Vietnam War, but I thought it was a great way of showing the aftermath of the war and how it mentally affected those in it.  Although it's not a Vietnam Film as such.  Maybe you were expecting it to be like Platoon or Apocalypse Now?  Both class films.
Keep 'er lit

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: The Gs Man on July 09, 2008, 11:46:19 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2008, 10:00:56 AM

:o  Maybe it's just because Im big into stuff about the Vietnam War, but I thought it was a great way of showing the aftermath of the war and how it mentally affected those in it.  Although it's not a Vietnam Film as such.  Maybe you were expecting it to be like Platoon or Apocalypse Now?  Both class films.

Platoon is class, Apocalypse Now... very hard to watch! (2 versions though?)

Zapatista

I did find the stuff set in Vietnam Good. I hated the start with them leaving work and going on the piss, it was drawing out to long with terrible dialog. I hated the wedding scene which lasted for an irritating 30 mins with little dialog and finally established very little. The Vietnam stuff was good and the aftermath was OK, it too was drawing out with poor dialog. Neither the Vietnam or post Vietnam made up for a terrible first hour/hour and a half.

I didn't even know it was about Vietnam. Perhaps it was break through when it was released but the idea has been done a lot since and that might have taken away from my view.

Platoon and Apocalypse Now are fantastic the latter in particular.

The Gs Man

Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2008, 12:13:48 PM

I did find the stuff set in Vietnam Good. I hated the start with them leaving work and going on the piss, it was drawing out to long with terrible dialog. I hated the wedding scene which lasted for an irritating 30 mins with little dialog and finally established very little. The Vietnam stuff was good and the aftermath was OK, it too was drawing out with poor dialog. Neither the Vietnam or post Vietnam made up for a terrible first hour/hour and a half.

I didn't even know it was about Vietnam. Perhaps it was break through when it was released but the idea has been done a lot since and that might have taken away from my view.

I know what you mean about the start being kinda slow, but I enjoyed that part.  For me, it helped develop the characters a lot more and so by the time you got to the Russian Roulette scene I knew them better and it affected me more.  As I said earlier it's not a Vietnam Film as such.  it's more of a social commentary on war.....you could change the scene to any war and it would have the same psychological impact.

Ah well, different Strokes for different folks and all that.

I seen Juno on Saturday night.  Enjoyable wee film.
Keep 'er lit

Over the Bar

QuoteI sat up untill 2.30am this morning watching 'The Deer Hunter'. What a shit movie

you cant say that to a generation who   fell asleep and nearly missed ALI V Spink (open to correction long time ago ) because of it, fond memories

Pretty sure that you are spot on there.   I also recall that at the min-point of the film, the bit where they are in the cages with rats, the film started from the beginning again.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: The Gs Man on July 09, 2008, 12:25:47 PM
Quote from: Zapatista on July 09, 2008, 12:13:48 PM

I know what you mean about the start being kinda slow, but I enjoyed that part.  For me, it helped develop the characters a lot more and so by the time you got to the Russian Roulette scene I knew them better and it affected me more.  As I said earlier it's not a Vietnam Film as such.  it's more of a social commentary on war.....you could change the scene to any war and it would have the same psychological impact.

Ah well, different Strokes for different folks and all that.

I seen Juno on Saturday night.  Enjoyable wee film.

Yip...Juno is very good. Great dialogue in it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

5 Sams

Quote from: Over the Bar on July 09, 2008, 12:34:07 PM
QuoteI sat up untill 2.30am this morning watching 'The Deer Hunter'. What a shit movie

you cant say that to a generation who   fell asleep and nearly missed ALI V Spink (open to correction long time ago ) because of it, fond memories

Pretty sure that you are spot on there.   I also recall that at the min-point of the film, the bit where they are in the cages with rats, the film started from the beginning again.

Sorry lads but yiz are way off...it was "The Great White Hope" Gerry Cooney V Larry Holmes in 1982.....fcuk I'm getting old :'(
The Aristocrat Years

nrico2006

I only got around to watching Deer Hunter about 2 months ago and thought it was excellent.  As for Apocalypse Now - pure tripe!

Juno was a good show with your man Bateman again enhancing his profile - I hadn't seen him really since Teen Wolf Too!  I see he is in Hancock aswell.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

The new Indiana Jones movie imo is crap as is No Country for Old Men ????? , the multi oscar winner by the Coen Bros (who I usually like).
There have been some great westerns on TG4 recently with the great Lee van Cleef.