Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: WT4E on January 15, 2018, 02:31:17 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 14, 2018, 10:12:59 PM
Who are the likeliest candidates to nail down a place this season. At the close of last year we had a pretty settled side.

Morgan
McCrory
McNamee
McCarron

T McCann
Hampsey
Harte
C Cavanagh

C McCann
McGeary
Sludden
Mulgrew/McClure
Bradley
S Cavanagh
Donnelly

The ones in bold are nailed on starters for me, the ones in italic I feel Harte will stick by them but I think they should be under serious pressure to maintain their place. The other players are the ones who I think will really have to fight for their spot. I expect McAliskey will start this year and take Sean Cavanagh's spot, I think Cassidy, McKernan and Rory Brennan will push hard for places in the back line while Meyler should be pushing hard for a place too. I think Conall McCann is too passive, I'd much rather see Richie Donnelly or McClure in the middle of the pitch as I think they bring more of a presence there.

Rory Brennan and Meyler are two guys who always seem to be picking up niggly injuries of some sort and I think if they get an injury free run they will both establish themselves as starters. I also feel Cassidy really deserves a run at corner back, he's tough, pacey and brings the ball out of defence at speed. I hope he gets a run during the league, he will bring more to the table than McCrory.

McCarron has looked like his legs are going and I think McNamee has really failed to play to his 2015 levels in the past couple of seasons.

Not a bad summary - however McKernan hasn't a chance this year - he still as to do his years penance on the bench/squad

This is generally true however there is the occasional player that bucks the trend. I'm thinking of Conor Meyler (came in half way through 2015 and started 3 or 4 championship games), Niall Sludden and even McClure last year.

There is definitely be a corner back spot up for grabs this year - personally i think McNamee and McCarron will still start at 3 and 4 whilst McCrory, Hugh Pat, Cassidy, McKernan, McLaughlin, Brendan Burns and Rory Brennan will all be competing for the other corner. 

redhandefender

Has Rory Brennan not generally played wing half back for Tyrone? I wouldn't have him in corner back.

Early days yet lads, like hard to get up for a game like that yesterday it was grim as f**k in that swamp! Also Fermanagh and their supporters were going on like it was their ulster final!

I would have Morgan everyday over o'neill. There is no way O'Neills kickouts are better, maybe a better shot stopper but kickouts are crucial and Morgan is very safe on the ball.

McNamee will be playing full back but the 2 corners I think are all to play for. I gather he will have another look at Cassidy and Kiernan v top tier opposition. It will be a tough squad to cut down.

Can't wait for another year of Southfermanagh Slabber on this thing!

driveherin

Quote from: The Bearded One on January 15, 2018, 02:37:33 PM
Quote from: driveherin on January 15, 2018, 02:22:31 PM
Would you be from Clonoe by any chance bendyerback?
All this talk about how SO'N has transformed Tyrones attack and they score 0-08 against FERMANAGH!?

Are you for real? The conditions were horrible; wet and windy. They faced a wall of 14 green jerseys the whole game and found it impossible to move the ball at pace through the hands due to said conditions. If you are seriously judging O'Neill's input after that, then you need to wise up. the jury is still out, obviously, but give it a chance.

McKenna Cup is a farce. People were building him up for racking up big scores against Antrim and St Mary's!! Same applies!!

Dire Ear

The Bearded One

If the McKenna cup is a 'farce' why are you judging? Against Antrim and Cavan, Tyrone met no resistance worth talking about.

Ricey was Ricey. Smiling one minute, growling the next. He was very involved on the line, I wish him well with Fermanagh and hopefully his experiences gained will stand to him when he gets involved with Tyrone some time down the line.
It is what it is. Presumably.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: redhandefender on January 15, 2018, 02:49:13 PM
Has Rory Brennan not generally played wing half back for Tyrone? I wouldn't have him in corner back.

Early days yet lads, like hard to get up for a game like that yesterday it was grim as f**k in that swamp! Also Fermanagh and their supporters were going on like it was their ulster final!

I would have Morgan everyday over o'neill. There is no way O'Neills kickouts are better, maybe a better shot stopper but kickouts are crucial and Morgan is very safe on the ball.

McNamee will be playing full back but the 2 corners I think are all to play for. I gather he will have another look at Cassidy and Kiernan v top tier opposition. It will be a tough squad to cut down.

Rory Brennan generally has played wing half back for Tyrone but is this much different from playing corner back in the modern game? Not many teams bar Dublin leave 3 men inside so generally one of your corner backs will be out the pitch. For us this player is usually McCrory so I think it playing Brennan instead of him makes sense since Brennan offers alot more on the ball. Brennan is also well capable of a man marking job as he has shown on Ryan McHugh.

redhandefender

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 15, 2018, 03:31:40 PM

Rory Brennan generally has played wing half back for Tyrone but is this much different from playing corner back in the modern game? Not many teams bar Dublin leave 3 men inside so generally one of your corner backs will be out the pitch. For us this player is usually McCrory so I think it playing Brennan instead of him makes sense since Brennan offers alot more on the ball. Brennan is also well capable of a man marking job as he has shown on Ryan McHugh.

Aye fair enough, you're spot on. Injury permitting he has proved himself when it matters

Club boi

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on January 15, 2018, 03:31:40 PM

Brennan much better all rounder

O'Neill was my preference a few years back but Morgan has improved massively while O'Neill has stayed the same, still probably the better shot stopper but The way the game has gone now, the Kickouts are a massive tactic and Morgan is far superior in this role and I now believe Morgan is better under the high ball

southtyronegael

interesting match report in irish news today for donegal/monaghan game yesterday. both teams set up very attack minded. even monaghan played with a 3 man full forward line for most of the game. bonner came out and said after that he had no intention of going back to 13 or 14 men behind the ball.

redhandefender

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 15, 2018, 09:26:10 PM
interesting match report in irish news today for donegal/monaghan game yesterday. both teams set up very attack minded. even monaghan played with a 3 man full forward line for most of the game. bonner came out and said after that he had no intention of going back to 13 or 14 men behind the ball.

Go an start supporting them the ye tool until your native fermanagh start playing all out attack

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 15, 2018, 09:26:10 PM

You seriously must be the only person in Tyrone who would give one ounce of a shite about what Declan Bonner says.
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

ha wouldnt you know, benny and redhand all defensive jumping down my throat. you boys are as predictable as mickey hartes tactics.

Bendyerback

Quote from: driveherin on January 15, 2018, 02:22:31 PM
Would you be from Clonoe by any chance bendyerback?
All this talk about how SO'N has transformed Tyrones attack and they score 0-08 against FERMANAGH!?

It's not really a matter of where I'm from, I just think that McClure is possibly our best option and could accompany Colm Cavanagh very well in the middle of the park.
What I've seen on McKernan to date has been impressive. He has some engine in him and I would start him over McCrory and McCarron. He's not afraid to go forward and returns back to his position quickly.
It's early days yet lads, we'll know better after the first league game. We need to wait and see what type of game Tyrone are going to play. I'm hoping that it's not that defensive carry on that we've become renowned for.

redhandefender

Quote from: southtyronegael on January 15, 2018, 10:23:08 PM
ha wouldnt you know, benny and redhand all defensive jumping down my throat. you boys are as predictable as mickey hartes tactics.

People on trying to talk about actual football and you're on spouting absolute dung! Quoting decky bonner? Decky Bonner is a poor manager. Everyone knows your position and they are sick of hearing ye.

Back to football, how many does harte roughly have to cut out of the panel? will he leave the moys boys out until that's over or do they count. There isn't rwally anyone who stands out as not making the cut atm

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: redhandefender on January 16, 2018, 08:03:06 AM
Quote from: southtyronegael on January 15, 2018, 10:23:08 PM

People on trying to talk about actual football and you're on spouting absolute dung! Quoting decky bonner? Decky Bonner is a poor manager. Everyone knows your position and they are sick of hearing ye.

Back to football, how many does harte roughly have to cut out of the panel? will he leave the moys boys out until that's over or do they count. There isn't rwally anyone who stands out as not making the cut atm

None I'd say. We have 5 out since last year - Cavanagh, McMahon x2,  Munroe and McCullagh and 4 in - Burns, McKernan, McDonnell, McLaughlin.

Munroe and Joe Mc both left the panel after the league last year so I don't think there is a need to cut anyone.