Ulster Club Hurling Championships

Started by Lecale2, October 08, 2007, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Conaghy Shamrocks 4-15 Glen Rovers 1-10
Armoys run over the winter came to an end against a very impressive Conaghy Shamrocks. The game was tight enough for the first ten minutes but two Conaghy goals in the next five minutes opened up a 2-3 to 0-2 lead which they never looked like relinquishing. Playing with the breeze in the first half Conaghys full forward line got a lot of possesion and used it well notching some fine scores. Conaghy were also well on top in their full back line meaning that when Armoy did manage to clear the ball it was coming back into them almost as quick. By half time the score was Conaghy 2-8 Armoy 0-5. Armoy continued to compete well around the middle of the field in the second half but struggled against a good full back line. Allied to this when Conaghy did go forward the two corner forwards were superb, taking scores at will. armoy battled away, none more so than Martin McErlain who contributed four points from play from midfield but it was not enough as Conaghy finished a game they never looked like losing with a goal in the last minute. Despite the gap in the scoreline, which was a little harsh, the Armoy players were applauded off the pitch for giving us all a great run over the winter and doing all they could today against a superior side.

Sandy Hill

I heard Keady were beaten by 4 points.
"Stercus accidit"

Whitehair

Ulster Club Senior Hurling Championship
  Kevin Lynchs (Derry)  2-13 2-16 Ballycran (Down)  Casement Park Belfast Antrim

Ulster Club Intermediate Hurling Championship
  Middletown (Armagh)  2-13 1-11 Liatroim (Down)  Casement Park Belfast Antrim   

Ulster Club Junior Hurling Championship
   St Marys Rasharkin (Antrim)  1-10 1-8 Burt (Donegal)  Dungannon   
Lisnaskea (Fermanagh)  1-4 4-12 Naomh Colum Cille (Tyrone)  Dungannon

Many down at Casement today? Fair play to Ballycran, I thought KL's played the better hurling in the first half against the wind even though they trailed at half time. Defensive switch 20min in shored Ballycran up a bit after KL's missed a bagfull. Ballycran with James Coyle getting 2.5 or so from play and Aidan Clarke winning 4-5 pointed frees were a threat up front. KL's miss a scoring forward or two, Paddy Mc Closkey caught some great ball though. Michael Ennis, Michael Hughes, and the two cornermen were the Cran pick of the bunch, while Hinpheys, Herron and Mark Craig are class hurlers, they could have down with switching there corner backs before they did. Finals on the 25th.

In the Intermediate, Middletown came from 1.8 to 4 down at half time to finish strongly with the wind at their backs 2nd half

ha ha derry

ray matthews best ref in ulster. pity there isn,t more like him.

milltown row

Ulster Council Preview of Hurling finals

This weekend's Ulster Club Senior Hurling Final brings together Dunloy of Antrim and Ballycran of Down for the first time in the Provincial decider since 1995 when the Antrim champions ran out winners on a 2-18 to 0-09 score line.

Ballycran have won the title twice, in 1976 and 1993, but have been beaten finalists on five occasions.  Dunloy won their first title in 1990 and since then they have never been beaten in an Ulster final, winning nine titles to date, including four in a row between 2000 and 2003.

Today's meeting will see Dunloy starting as slight favourites having defeated last year's champions Ruairi Og Cushendall in the Antrim Final.  Few would have anticipated that victory as Dunloy struggled to overcome challenges from Glenariffe and Ballycastle en route to the Antrim final.  However a dominant performance, particularly from goalkeeper Gareth McGhee and some of the more experienced members of the team, led to a comfortable 3-14 to 1-13 victory.  McGhee scored a penalty and pulled off several excellent saves while Liam and Paddy Richmond, Gregory O'Kane and Malachy Molloy turned in superb performances to oust the reigning Antrim and Ulster champions.

Ballycran on the other hand had to put in a mighty performance to overthrow Ballygalget in the Down final.  Ballycran have been rebuilding over the past number of years after a highly successful run at underage level.  Team manager Eamonn Blaney has developed a very young panel, which is complimented by the experience of Simon Wilson, Gary Savage and Mick Braniff.  However, this may be a year or two too early for this squad who will surely have a bright future if they continue to make progress at the rate they have done so far.

A close encounter can be expected with Dunloy probably continuing their winning ways in Ulster Club Championship finals.

The Intermediate final which takes place in Pairc Esler, Newry brings together two teams that will be contesting their first ever Provincial Hurling final.  Although better known for their football exploits St Galls will be no pushover and can boast three Antrim County stars in Karl Stewart, Kieran McGourty and Conor McGourty.  Armagh champions, Middletown will look to Cathal Carville, Ryan Gaffney and Kieran McKernan for inspiration.  A tough one to call but the Armagh men may just claim their first Provincial title at Intermediate level.

The curtain raiser to the senior decider in Casement Park sees the Junior final between two new finalists with Naomh Colum Cille from Tyrone facing St Mary's, Rasharkin from Antrim.  Ironically both teams were beaten at the semi final stage of Division 3 of the Ulster Senior Club Hurling League but have now battled on to win their county titles and now contest their first Provincial final.  This will be a close encounter with the Antrim men starting as slight favourites.

Lecale2

I expect Dunloy to have too much experince for Ballycran on Sunday. I won't be easy so I'll go for them to win by 3.

I've seen both Rasharkin and Naomh Colum Cille in the championship this year and Rasharkin are by far the better hurling team. If they can settle and control their nerves I'd expect them to win by 7/8.

Middletown did very well beating a strong Keady in the Armagh championship but St Gall's will be a step too far for them this year. St Gall's to win by 2.

Colonel Cool

Ballycran are avery young team with a couple of older heads. Dunloy have all the experience of years at the top in Antrim, Ulster and the All Ireland series and must be short priced favorites.

Ah sure we'll go along and give it our best shot. We'll maybe keep her tight till half time and you never know on the day how it will go.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

Skull i think you'se have a better subs bench than Ballycran. watched them v Dungiven and they didn't have much on the bench that came on and changed the game.

should be a tight enough game but Dunloy will come through.

Whitehair

Quote from: milltown row on October 23, 2009, 05:45:27 PM
Skull i think you'se have a better subs bench than Ballycran. watched them v Dungiven and they didn't have much on the bench that came on and changed the game.

should be a tight enough game but Dunloy will come through.

Ballycran having Conor Woods back for the final should be a big boost and good to see my mate Benny Ennis back playing after doing his Cruciate last January, maybe get a run out.

Lecale2

Good luck Ballycran. Hope you can do it.

orangeman

Last Man

Great result for Colmcille but thought Sharkin really did leave it behind them. Where  was their usual system of support play, not trying to clear under pressure then getting blocked/hooked. The lay off option was frequently there but the player in possession mostly chose not to use it. They fought back to level it from 6 down at one point though so maybe deserved a draw. A fairly toothless inside forward line which they have managed to cover up all year didn't help either.
Thought Dunloy were very assured against the Crans, performed well to a man, especially the Cunning bros., Mickey McClemments, Sean Dowds. Dick and Nancy's decision making was second to none, 2 cute hoors.

maxpower

Delighted with the result, think its an incredible achievement to win an Ulster title without 5 key players (4 of whom have represented Ulster in recent years)

Great for Sean Dowds to get MotM, he was very close to it in Antrim final
What happens next????

theskull1

I thought we had some really solid performances yesterday. Sean's touch was sublime yesterday and was steady as rock on the dead balls but thought skinny, cathoir and mickey also had great hours. Also thought woodie was solid throughout without standing out but knew that he'd a job to do and done it brilliantly. Many more stood out with no one below standard.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera