Any update on King Henry's injury?

Started by Man Marker, August 09, 2010, 12:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Kilkenny boss Brian Cody will have to wait another day to find out whether Henry Shefflin and Brian Hogan will be available for this year's All-Ireland final.

Both Shefflin and Hogan picked up knocks in the Cats' victory over Cork on Sunday and both will have scans with a local consultant on Tuesday.

Shefflin is struggling with a knee injury, while Hogan appeared to hurt his shoulder.

And manager Cody will be hoping that Shefflin's injury is not a repeat of the cruciate ligament damage he suffered in the 2007 All-Ireland final.

Both Shefflin and Hogan underwent a session of cryotherapy chamber treatment on Monday morning.

AZOffaly

I'm hoping Henry might just have jarred his knee. It wasn't a particulary violent movement which you associate with ligament tears, so hopefully it might just be a strain and he'll be fine.

Win, lose or draw, King Henry deserves to be there when the drive for five reaches D-Day.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 12:34:50 PM
I'm hoping Henry might just have jarred his knee. It wasn't a particulary violent movement which you associate with ligament tears, so hopefully it might just be a strain and he'll be fine.

Win, lose or draw, King Henry deserves to be there when the drive for five reaches D-Day.

Agreed.

Looking at the replay last night the knee didn't "buckle" as was mentioned in yesterday's commentary.

The physio made him do a wee run after he got up and wasn't able to but walked off freely. Hope he's ok - as you say he deserves to be there on AI final day and has more than earned the right.

Can we read anything into the fact that both were sent to the cryotherapy chamber straightaway ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: orangeman on August 09, 2010, 12:41:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 12:34:50 PM

Agreed.

Looking at the replay last night the knee didn't "buckle" as was mentioned in yesterday's commentary.

The physio made him do a wee run after he got up and wasn't able to but walked off freely. Hope he's ok - as you say he deserves to be there on AI final day and has more than earned the right.

Can we read anything into the fact that both were sent to the cryotherapy chamber straightaway ?

Maybe they are being frozen to bring them out in 2050?

johnneycool

Hogan got his shoulder injury on his run up the Cuack stand sideline when hit well with a fair shoulder. I think he's had shoulder bother before in the league against Tipp a few years back. If it's a proper dislocation he'll not be able to do any training other than a bit of bike work and that'll leave him short in a months time if its even close to ready.

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on August 09, 2010, 01:28:26 PM
Hogan got his shoulder injury on his run up the Cuack stand sideline when hit well with a fair shoulder. I think he's had shoulder bother before in the league against Tipp a few years back. If it's a proper dislocation he'll not be able to do any training other than a bit of bike work and that'll leave him short in a months time if its even close to ready.

To be fair Gardiner hit hit some thud. Didn't he do the collar bone in this year's league in April against Tipp ?.

AZOffaly

That's what it looked like to me when he went off, collar bone. Maybe a 'stinger' because he shouldn't have been able to 'roll' his shoulder if it was dislocated shoulder or broken collar bone.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 09, 2010, 02:27:23 PM
That's what it looked like to me when he went off, collar bone. Maybe a 'stinger' because he shouldn't have been able to 'roll' his shoulder if it was dislocated shoulder or broken collar bone.

Five minutes afterwards he caught a scud missile from Donal Og but looked in a lot of discomfort afterwards. He mightn't be too bad.

Milltown Row2

having dislocated the shoulder many times i can understand what it feels like. the recovery depends on how bad he 'popped' it. he seemed fine for a bit then he more than likely felt it go a bit later when catching the ball.

4 weeks is plenty time for him to be physically right but its mentally right is the main concern, your always thinking its going to pop in the next tackle so he may miss out as the training leading up to the final is relentless. I'm sure Cody wont risk him

As for Henry, i hope he will be grand for the final he was brilliant up to getting injured and his run and pass to Eddie was top drawer.

should both miss out it could lead the door opened for the other finalist but i'd still expect Kilkenny to win by 6
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2010, 02:53:12 PM
having dislocated the shoulder many times i can understand what it feels like. the recovery depends on how bad he 'popped' it. he seemed fine for a bit then he more than likely felt it go a bit later when catching the ball.

4 weeks is plenty time for him to be physically right but its mentally right is the main concern, your always thinking its going to pop in the next tackle so he may miss out as the training leading up to the final is relentless. I'm sure Cody wont risk him

As for Henry, i hope he will be grand for the final he was brilliant up to getting injured and his run and pass to Eddie was top drawer.

should both miss out it could lead the door opened for the other finalist but i'd still expect Kilkenny to win by 6

I'd say they'll win by ten to four. :D

orangeman

Reillers

Not supposed to be too bad, they both are racing against the clock, but fingers crossed they make it. They've both gone for scans today and it's a matter of waiting and seeing.
They were rushed off into the cryotherapy chambers in Wexford, apparently at half time, it's a matter of waiting to see how they react and a boat load of deep freeze.

orangeman

Quote from: Reillers on August 10, 2010, 12:00:46 PM
Not supposed to be too bad, they both are racing against the clock, but fingers crossed they make it. They've both gone for scans today and it's a matter of waiting and seeing.
They were rushed off into the cryotherapy chambers in Wexford, apparently at half time, it's a matter of waiting to see how they react and a boat load of deep freeze.

No messing around there.

Shamrock Shore

Henry's cruciate is gone.

Just announced so he's out for the final plus some