Donal Og's Book

Started by passedit, October 18, 2009, 11:24:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

It's probably my instinctive distaste for Donal Óg and all his works and all his deeds, but my initial reaction was 'big deal, who gives a rat's ass in this day and age?'. Then I thought about all the openly gay active male athletes, and offhand I can't think of any. A few players in America have come out after they retired and the reaction from their former colleagues has ranged from mild irritation to outright disgust. It's a macho culture and anything which undermines that is going to be frowned upon. So fair play to Donal Óg. Someone had to be first and I admire his courage.

Going off on a tangent, was it really as widely known as people seem to be suggesting?

kevmy

I think it's wrong to say he's just coming out to make money from it.

Sure he has a book coming out - it's autobiography - in which people usually write about themselves, who they are and what they did - in their own words.

And I think its fair to say that being gay is a large part of who he is so it's completely fair to write about that.

If he hadn't said anything about it in the book people would be on here accusing him of dodging the issue. Some people have there minds made up about him and he'll never win them over

theskull1

Don't be so niave kevmy.

The media and publishing industry is a business. Telling stories to them is a business. The more interesting the story the more potential to be of interest to the media because they can make money from relaying them. Donal Og and his agent know that the "oh did I ever tell you I'm gay" story will have legs as they say and they will be able to make money from it because the media industry craves shite like this. Get ready for TV appearances and glossy mag articles on top of the book and serialisations in the mail as he tells "his story" to the dumb masses

Of course it's not "just" the only reason I'm sure but the timing of it makes it obvious that he's making hay with his revelations.

He's no dozer
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 21, 2009, 11:47:53 AM
Don't be so niave kevmy.

The media and publishing industry is a business. Telling stories to them is a business. The more interesting the story the more potential to be of interest to the media because they can make money from relaying them. Donal Og and his agent know that the "oh did I ever tell you I'm gay" story will have legs as they say and they will be able to make money from it because the media industry craves shite like this. Get ready for TV appearances and glossy mag articles on top of the book and serialisations in the mail as he tells "his story" to the dumb masses

Of course it's not "just" the only reason I'm sure but the timing of it makes it obvious that he's making hay with his revelations.

He's no dozer

Jesus Christ ! This will be unbearable !

deiseach

Don't be so niave kevmy.

He's no dozer

You make it sound like he's decided to be gay for the purposes of selling his book.

Minder

He is on the Late Late show on Friday
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

Quote from: deiseach on October 21, 2009, 12:10:11 PM
You make it sound like he's decided to be gay for the purposes of selling his book.

If I tell you I'm not do you believe me?  :)

Read what I said again. I'm simply saying that he's taking full advantage of "his story" to benefit himself financially. The "I'm gay" story. The Frank Murphy saga. The Gerard McCarthy saga. The GPA and my role within it...etc etc

And I wouldn't doubt for one minute that creating controversy over the years wasn't in some way motivated by his own interests in creating incidents to write about later, as well as building a media profile for himself which he could benefit from. Rather than dealing with things behind closed doors ...theres no money in that. Some of course will say thats very cynical..but chat to any person in the PR industry about how that business works and you'll get you eyes opened. People do work the system and they will be encouraged to do so if the stories will be there for the media to benefit from as well.

Billys Boots

It would take a Cork hurler to want to make money out of his sexual inclination.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

orangeman

I had a chuckle at this :

Carey defiant on Cats' GPA stance after Cusack jibes

By colm keys

Tuesday October 20 2009

DJ Carey has defended his former Kilkenny colleagues for their lukewarm support for the Gaelic Players' Association, a criticism raised by the association's chairman, Donal Og Cusack, in his forthcoming autobiography 'Come What May'.

Carey, a founding member of the players' body and one-time president, admitted he couldn't disagree with Cusack about Kilkenny's involvement with the GPA but added that Donal Og had to appreciate the different backgrounds they were coming from.

Carey said he condemned any personal abuse directed at Cork hurlers during the league game in Kilkenny earlier this year when the home side won by 27 points and got a standing ovation coming off the field.

Cusack claims a member of the Cork backroom staff heard a supporter in the stand roar, "Where's the nigger now?" in the first half, an apparent reference, he says, to Sean Og O hAilpin.

"I would challenge any supporter, from Kilkenny or anywhere else, if I heard that remark at a game. Of course it is unacceptable but abuse comes with the territory. I've been spat at myself coming off the field at games in Kilkenny."

Cusack is scathing in his criticism of Kilkenny and some of their high-profile players for not putting their collective shoulder to the GPA wheel in a much more meaningful way over the last decade.

"I always think that Kilkenny could have driven it on as much as we (Cork) did but maybe they were just genuinely happy with their own lot. That's their choice, but even they have benefited along the road," he wrote.

"We have made different journeys. We struggled and Kilkenny left us out there to walk the path alone. Through all the troubles we have had we have often thought how much easier and how much more effective for all players this would be if Kilkenny and Cork were marching together. Fine, let's flake each other on the pitch but let's pull together off it.

"It hasn't happened like that though. The more strife we have in Cork, the more pointedly 'of the establishment' Kilkenny seem to become. The more disorder there is in Cork, the more Kilkenny likes to be thought of fondly as the land of milk, honey and contentment.

"The GAA's version of 'The Stepford Wives'," writes Cusack.

"They went their way I suppose and we went ours. They are a great team but I wouldn't be gone on them bar say Eddie Brennan, who I know stands up for the GPA in a tough dressing-room environment.

"I understand they have their different ways and who am I to say which way is the best or right? We all have to take our journeys and do what we have to do, but Kilkenny? I wouldn't be gone on them. I imagine the feeling runs both ways."

argument

Carey said the backgrounds of both teams and their respective counties had to be factored in to give Cusack's argument about Kilkenny a perspective.

"Donal Og is someone who I have a lot of time for and without the input of the Cork players coming together, there wouldn't be a GPA. That's a fact. Their strength of unity in 2002 made the GPA. And I am still wholly supportive of the GPA even though I earnestly feel it is an organisation for current players, not past players.

"But prior to 2002 Cork didn't have a huge involvement in the Gaelic Players' Association. When they had their own troubles later that year it galvanised them, gave them the confidence to know that strength in numbers could get them places. They carried that to the GPA.

"At that time many of the current Kilkenny players were young; Tommy Walsh, JJ Delaney, even Henry (Shefflin) was still in his early 20s. They were more concerned with making the Kilkenny team.

"There were no problems in Kilkenny. The players got everything they sought and more. And that's the environment they came from, which was wholly different from Cork. That has to be taken into context too.

"I agree that if Kilkenny had been more supportive, as Donal Og says, the GPA would have been stronger.

"But Kilkenny were so well looked after in their own county it was hard for these players to be militant against their own board, a unit of the GAA. There were never battles with the board. Brian Cody, and in particular Ned Quinn, made sure of that," said Carey.

"Cork were more conditioned to it because of what went on in their own county. And I admire them greatly for it. But in Kilkenny Ned Quinn made sure we never had to go public on anything. I always stood square with the GPA and I suffered in my own county for that. I took some abuse for it.

"But I had spent my time travelling the country listening to complaints from players in other counties. That's why I became so immersed in the GPA."

Carey said that if Cusack felt Kilkenny was a land of milk, contentment and honey, that's because it was.

"Because they were successful and so well looked after by the board, the Kilkenny players would have felt loyalty to the board and that factored in to the approach to the GPA. Every county is different." Carey admitted he too turned down a lucrative offer from Lucozade Sport because of respect for C&C and Club Energise.

Cusack holds up Sean Og O hAilpin as an example of GPA solidarity for turning down Lucozade Sport for Club Energise (ironically O hAilpin did a Volkswagen promotion last week despite Opel's sponsorship of the GPA awards scheme).

On the subject of the abuse last April, Carey is sure it came from a minority.

"There is a minority in every county. I've suffered from it in Kilkenny. I think genuine hurling people in Kilkenny and other counties appreciate Cork for the hurlers they are."

- colm keys

Irish Independent

Maiden1

Don't be so niave kevmy.

He's no dozer

Of course he is writing the book to make money, most people would write a book if they thought enough people would buy it to make it worthwhile.  Having a few personal stories, or a different line on a few fallouts in the camp makes it more interesting.  I have a read a few autobiographies where a player goes on about 1 match after another the whole book without mentioning how they got on with the manager or there team mates and it is boring as f&*k.  Kenny Dalglish autobiography was the worst, we won 1-0 in Anfield, then played 1 up front in the away leg in Moscow where we scrapped a 0-0 draw after they hit the post in the last minute, that got us through to the last 32 ...
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Tubberman

QuoteAnd I wouldn't doubt for one minute that creating controversy over the years wasn't in some way motivated by his own interests in creating incidents to write about later

:D Ah now you're taking it to a different level!
So you honestly think the strikes, the GPA, the homosexuality, the Gerald McCarthy and Frank Murphy run-ins were all cunningly conceived by Cusack 20 years ago when he planned out his life so that it would make a good book that he could earn fame and fortune from.  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Reillers

Don't be so niave kevmy.

He's no dozer

Where do you think we are, America, England?
FFS. You really most hate the guy to say that he came out just to make money.
He's pretty thick skinned, I think we all know that by now, but the level of abuse he's gotten in some games, will be nothing compared to what he gets now, and it'll be from a lot of people, including I guess a few on here. If they hate him enough..
Or if they just think of what they're doing/saying is only a joke..
He's the first (that I can think of) Irish sports person to come out and openly say it, something that goes against the way of the GAA, it's culture..you think he did all that for the money?

To say that he's said what he's said, just for the money is ridiculous, no amount of money that he'll get will compare to the abuse he'll get on the field.
He wouldn't do it to himself, his family or the guys next to him on the pitch.

Many people bring out biographies, and you don't have a go at them, books that are usually full of this and that, bullshit basically. Donal Og actually comes out and writes something meaningful and pretty courageous, and you think it's just for money, and a story for the dumb masses.
Why am I not surprised..not with your type anyway.
Hopefully there'll be a clamp down on abuse in the terraces, because in a lot of games, even the KK one for example now, it's gotten out of hand lately, especially last season. You'd think it'd be just young men, teenagers..sadly it's not most of the time.

theskull1

Quote from: Reillers on October 21, 2009, 03:35:36 PM
FFS. You really most hate the guy to say that he came out just to make money.
He's the first (that I can think of) Irish sports person to come out and openly say it, something that goes against the way of the GAA, it's culture..you think he did all that for the money?

To say that he's said what he's said, just for the money is ridiculous, no amount of money that he'll get will compare to the abuse he'll get on the field.

QuoteOf course it's not "just" the only reason I'm sure but the timing of it makes it obvious that he's making hay with his revelations.

I count 25 words there. Could you read them slowly this time Reillers

EddieMerx

Reillers you are not much of a hurling supporter if you are saying this is the first you heard about it! I am from Wexford and was told almost 2 years ago that Donal was Gay.

deiseach

Quote from: EddieMerx on October 21, 2009, 04:11:43 PM
Reillers you are not much of a hurling supporter if you are saying this is the first you heard about it! I am from Wexford and was told almost 2 years ago that Donal was Gay.

Darn. I must not be much of a hurling supporter then . . .