Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Quote from: thewobbler on September 09, 2015, 02:27:08 PM
PaulD, re teams meeting again so soon, personally I don't think any attempts should be made to manually control a draw. It should be random.

Take this scenario: Kilcoo and Burren meet in round 1, and a pre-ordained rule means they could not meet again unless they both make the final. Being the best two teams in the county, they've drawn a win-win situation, and there's really no point in bating the shite out of each at this stage. So they put B teams out in round 1 and don't care which side they manoeuvre along from there; for on either side of the draw they should both make the final.

- - -

Super Reds, I'm glad you enjoyed the game, but any minor team that is insistent on playing 15 v 15 attacking football is playing for second place this year, as Burren are streets ahead. If all a club wants is to make an MFC final, then fair play. But if the intention is to win the thing, then playing to a system isn't just something that can be turned on. Your management team might regret not practicing it earlier!

- - -

Re the £50 ticket, I'd suggest that wrapping hurling and football into one package, and using it as an excuse to justify the large pricepoint, is a blunder from the county board. As competitions they've a lot less in common than the GAA traditionalists would like us believe, especially so among spectators.

At a push I'd maybe take in two SFC quarter finals, the two semis, and the final. That's not going to more than £55 individually (I hope).

So the ticket isn't being aimed at me. Who is it being aimed at?

- - -

Re the conversation about playing JFC matches in Newry, I really don't understand why anyone would want to play those games in Esler. It's not Croke Park, not even close; it's not a field of dreams. If any man wants to play that badly in Newry, join a D3 team next years and face up to the Rocks. The stand is great, no doubt, but the rest of the facilities are no better /worse than a dozen grounds around the county. I've played reserve and ACFLII football in Esler and can tell you that is vacuous, eerie and soulless unless there's a crowd.

- - -

Re the Poacher chat. I play 5-a-side with him most weeks, and will happily boot him to the ground at anyone's request - so long as that someone will put their name against their handle. Nobody loves an opinion more than Poacher, but at least it's his name going against it.

If you tell me where and when I ll come kick him myself! Here s one, spoke to a player who played under him and he said great coach & all the players loved playing for him so I don't know why he acts like a cxxt along the sideline, on the down side also heard today he spat on a county board official on Saturday night after the game when ballyholland were asked to leave the field so the 2nd game could take place which is truly shocking behaviour. Any truth in that Wobbler?

thewobbler

It didn't quite happen like that. It was much worse.

First he went into the media room and exchanged their sugar pot for one filled with salt and little bits of dandruff.

Then he went to the referee's room, and, using his own blood, inscribed on the wall in 12 foot high letters the Latin for "just blow against us again, just once, I dare you. Signed, the reaper".

He then broke into the county board's ticketing van and changed all the numbers on the dials, meaning that next week's tickets can only be sold at €1.00, with sterling not welcome.

Eagle eyed, he spotted Sean Og's famous hat in the van, and quickly remoulded it into a crown of thorns, with an accompanying pouch filled with pieces of silver. He was going to leave a note for the Runai, but let's be honest Sean Og would put 2 and 2 together quickly. Only one man is capable of these deeds.

But the lowest moment came when, just before the throw in for the next match, the machete he was using to lacerate every tyre in the official's car park suddenly slipped from his hand. A series of "accidents" when he continually plunged the sword in peoples' sides when trying to explain to newcomers what had happened, culminated in 11 young people losing either their eyesight, or the power of speech.

He doesn't even feel guilty about this either.

thewobbler

Quote from: Down Follower on September 09, 2015, 03:48:15 PM
Nice and brief there wobbler.
Agreed on open draw - this, A cant play B and C cant play D crap make a mockery out of the draws in the AI qualifiers at times.  Once you bring in a back door there is going to be a chance of the two teams meeting again and thats just that.

The 4 minor teams (assuming Warrenpoint get through) who are through to the semis are def the 4 strongest teams.  Clonduff did have a shout to be amongst that but Rostrevor put paid to that.  The semi finals should be cracking games with Burren favourites based on results to date.
Are many of these minors playing for the senior teams at the moment?

Mark Harte, Jody McGovern and Jack Mallon all been playing regularly with Shamrocks this year and last.

Conall Gordon is recently playing for Rostrevor.

I'd be surprised if Aron D'Arcy and Paddy Murdock aren't pushing onto CPN.

wobbller

Quote from: SamFever on September 09, 2015, 04:37:03 PM
Quote from: Down Follower on September 09, 2015, 03:48:15 PM
Nice and brief there wobbler.
Agreed on open draw - this, A cant play B and C cant play D crap make a mockery out of the draws in the AI qualifiers at times.  Once you bring in a back door there is going to be a chance of the two teams meeting again and thats just that.

The 4 minor teams (assuming Warrenpoint get through) who are through to the semis are def the 4 strongest teams.  Clonduff did have a shout to be amongst that but Rostrevor put paid to that.  The semi finals should be cracking games with Burren favourites based on results to date.
Are many of these minors playing for the senior teams at the moment?
Are CPN not already through to the semi finals?
Saul didn't travel according to Abbey ones in School today and Warrenpoint players didn't find out
until late afternoon yesterday. Bad form to leave it so late.

Hedgehunter

Did Ballyholland not beat Burren quite convincingly a few weeks ago in a minor friendly? Albeit a friendly I know.. Ballyholland won the south down league quite easily but suffered a shock championship defeat at the hands of st Patricks. Would an open championship draw not have created a few upsets among the all county teams? I'm sure Ballyholland,Glenn,Longstone and Bosco would be capable of springing a few surprises.

supersub

I'd say the best 4 teams are left.

Burren's to lose ;-)

T O Hare

Yes , four best teams left in MFC. We had chances last night v Shamrocks but they seemed to have more experienced players and Jody Mc is a lethal finisher. During the league the point probably looked the strongest outfit we played. But Burrens forwards are very good especially Declan Murdock and Liam Kerr. Rostrevors results in recent weeks suggest they are moving in the right direction and should be feared.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

GreenGiant

Have to say i was over at the Glenn 3rds game last night. They nearly overturned a strong Mayobridge side, their player/manager Michael Murtagh really is one to keep an eye out for.

ExtraTime

In relation to the Ballyholland Minors its dissapointing that they were in a 13 a side league as I feel they would have provided a challenge to the the better teams in the A league i.e Burren / Warrenpoint.

I seen a few of their league games and most were dead and buried before half time. They have so much firepower up front in Tiernan Rushe and to be honest he was at walking speed most of the time!

whitegoodman

Quote from: ExtraTime on September 10, 2015, 10:44:28 AM
In relation to the Ballyholland Minors its dissapointing that they were in a 13 a side league as I feel they would have provided a challenge to the the better teams in the A league i.e Burren / Warrenpoint.

I seen a few of their league games and most were dead and buried before half time. They have so much firepower up front in Tiernan Rushe and to be honest he was at walking speed most of the time!

Was there any specific reason why Ballyholland didnt go into the all county? Did they think they were not strong enough?  Are they struggling for numbers on their panel?

Quote from: GreenGiant on September 10, 2015, 10:15:43 AM
Have to say i was over at the Glenn 3rds game last night. They nearly overturned a strong Mayobridge side, their player/manager Michael Murtagh really is one to keep an eye out for.

This boy is good value, "have to say"

ExtraTime

Was there any specific reason why Ballyholland didnt go into the all county? Did they think they were not strong enough?  Are they struggling for numbers on their panel?

Struggling just the same as other teams in their league. Be lucky to get 15 for match days, sometimes just bang on 13.

Had the potential to be a force in the all county if you could get minimum 20 players to matches / training. The talent is there.

DownFanatic

Week in week out Burren are cleaning up at all the U8, U10 and U12 tournaments across the county. Their B and even C teams are claiming silverware at South Down level. They are becoming a dominant force at underage and the culture is there at senior level to usher in a new period of dominance.

Down Follower

Sometimes you forget that Rushe is still a minor given the waves he has made at senior level this year. Some talent.

SamFever

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 10, 2015, 11:04:55 AM
Week in week out Burren are cleaning up at all the U8, U10 and U12 tournaments across the county. Their B and even C teams are claiming silverware at South Down level. They are becoming a dominant force at underage and the culture is there at senior level to usher in a new period of dominance.
Never mind their U16 and Minor teams who could repeat their
AllCounty Double from last year. Heard also that they are drawing on children
from the catchment area of 11 other Clubs.

T O Hare

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 10, 2015, 11:04:55 AM

Not under 8 ;)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"