Ref cam

Started by andoireabu, August 11, 2013, 03:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andoireabu

I was watching tg4 earlier and the ladies match between Meath and Laois was on. The ref had a camera strapped to his head which gave live feeds that you could see on tv.  Anyone know why?  And why is it that the ladies game can try things like this just to see if they will work but the men's game have to go through hoops to get anything done? The ladies have the clock counting down out of the refs control which most would agree is a good idea, yet on any Sunday through the year arguments will be had about how much extra time should have been played. If a big decision had to be made but the ref was unsighted then at least someone could stand up and defend him with evidence.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

trileacman

Seen this tried in rugby league.

The Ref looks like a tit.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

AZOffaly

The ref looks like a cyborg.

Eamonnca1

Ah, the old Irish attitude.

"Look at your man wearing a hat. Dick!"

"Look at your man wearing a scarf. Dick!"

"Look at your man hearing a camera. Dick!"

To answer your question, the ladies are always more innovative and progressive. If Camogie and ladies football were part of the GAA you'd find a lot of common sense rule changes having an easier passage at congress.

AZOffaly

Eamonn, you are very bitter towards all things Irish and Ireland, unless you happen to be a cheerleader, like your college hurling in the states. I suspect college hurling is way cooler than that old stodgy GAA hurling in Ireland too.

Seriously, you're an awful downer sometimes.  I think cyborgs are cool.

Eamonnca1

There's plenty of people in Ireland that are sick listening to traditional Irish begrudgery and small mindedness. It's by no means unique to ex-pats, but maybe we just find it more noticeable.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 12, 2013, 04:17:26 PM
There's plenty of people in Ireland that are sick listening to traditional Irish begrudgery and small mindedness. It's by no means unique to ex-pats, but maybe we just find it more noticeable.

I lived abroad for 4 years. There's plenty of people, both in Ireland and abroad, who love Ireland, while at the same time recognising that there are a fair few flaws as well. Of course every country has flaws, and some of Ireland's are fairly minor in comparison.  However, a certain portion of ex-pats seem to be desperate to prove that their life is so much better now because they live abroad and have such open minds and a fantastic view of the world that they couldn't possibly have in backwards Ireland. It's a bit sad I think. It's very negative energy, and quite tiresome as well. But I digress from the subject matter of the thread. Cyborgs are still cool.

Eamonnca1

So it's okay for people in Ireland to point out the country's shortcomings but ex-pats have to shut up?  I don't think so. I find plenty of faults in my host country as well, and I'm not averse to bringing them up when the subject arises, but being an Irish centered forum this isn't the kind of place you're likely to see that subject coming up.

In any case the "look at your man" comment comes from this at 1:28: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZbaz3Wlfw

Do you find that tiresome too?

ziggysego

As trileacman said, I seen it trialled at the rugby league game. I found it interest and added another dimension to the game for the viewing audience.
Testing Accessibility

Itchy

Ladies football isn't "ruled" by the gaa, they are their own organisation and that's why they often try things out.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 12, 2013, 05:09:08 PM
So it's okay for people in Ireland to point out the country's shortcomings but ex-pats have to shut up?  I don't think so. I find plenty of faults in my host country as well, and I'm not averse to bringing them up when the subject arises, but being an Irish centered forum this isn't the kind of place you're likely to see that subject coming up.

In any case the "look at your man" comment comes from this at 1:28: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZbaz3Wlfw

I never said ex-pats have to shut up. As I said, I was an ex-pat for a while myself. I do object to the constant negativity and smart-arsedness that *some* ex-pats seem to engage in, in what appears to be some sort of self congratulatory exercise that they've managed to leave such a place. That gets old pretty quick.

rrhf

They would need one front and back particularly when visiting the Windmill.  Also in Urney the camera would need to be waterproof. 

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2013, 09:07:56 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 12, 2013, 05:09:08 PM

I never said ex-pats have to shut up. As I said, I was an ex-pat for a while myself. I do object to the constant negativity and smart-arsedness that *some* ex-pats seem to engage in, in what appears to be some sort of self congratulatory exercise that they've managed to leave such a place. That gets old pretty quick.

Got old with this ex-pat and awful long time ago.  I wouldn't mind but no-one bloody objected to the ref cam, just that he would look silly.  Nothing wrong with that but, hey they do it better in the good ole US of A and we troglodytes should learn seeing as we are still back on the old sod!! 

BTW lordy lordy.... :P

AZOffaly

Yeah cheers. I'm beginning to think that county recall mightn't be coming!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 13, 2013, 10:16:40 AM
Yeah cheers. I'm beginning to think that county recall mightn't be coming!

Never say never!