Should a club pay for, or subsidise its coaching costs?

Started by GrandMasterFlash, January 20, 2017, 03:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

So it's that time of year when we're (i.e. coaches/mentors) all trying to get tooled up for the coming season.. I'd like to gauge your thoughts on whether the club should pay for (or partly subside) it's coaching costs e.g. foundation/level 1/coaching conferences etc. I'm not talking about providing expenses to travel to/from said events but merely the participation cost.

Thanks.

magpie seanie

In my view absolutely 100% the club should pay the course fees. If a person has indicated that they're willing to coach within the club then I think the club should pay the 50€ or whatever to complete the course.

AZOffaly

Ideally yes Seanie, but if you have a fair number of lads doing it, then the costs can be quite prohibitive, especially for the more advanced courses.

Croí na hÉireann

Agree with Seanie, money should fund internal coaches before external managers/hangers on are paid. I'd put in a caveat though that you have to help out coaching in the club though in the near future. If you want to get skilled up to go in search of dollars elsewhere then you should have to pony up.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 20, 2017, 05:26:56 PM
Agree with Seanie, money should fund internal coaches before external managers/hangers on are paid. I'd put in a caveat though that you have to help out coaching in the club though in the near future. If you want to get skilled up to go in search of dollars elsewhere then you should have to pony up.

Oh sorry, absolutely I agree with that! I didn't realise it was an either/or question.

manfromdelmonte

Clubs can redeem a lot of coaching costs from their local sports partner

delgany

Small issue can arise when young lads , do foundation /level 1 because it looks good on university applications . They never actually coach. Therefore it's 50/ 50 for costs

Wildweasel74

Pay coaches" G i though they did it for the love of the game;

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 20, 2017, 06:39:19 PM
Pay coaches" G i though they did it for the love of the game;

I see 'the love of the game' and a cost to my pocket as two different things.

Thanks for the responses lads, it has definitely helped. I'm the U8.5 head coach in our club, I've been around the club for years and have 3 sons coming through so intend to be around for many years to come, to put some context around it..

Cheers.

munchkin

excuse my ignorance, but what would the costs actually be ?
I mean, are these basic courses not provided by the county board for free or minimal charge, or is it an issue of getting some € per km in travel expenses to go to a course thats the issue.

I would have thought it'd be a basic requirement of the county board to provide referee and coaching training, at least at the basic levels in order to have juvenile refs and coaches in place for the future of GAA in the county. 

AZOffaly

I presume the lads are talking about coaching courses. I think our foundation ones are free, but I know the Award 1 and Award 2 are more expensive. Now, that said I think it's €40 and €100 respectively.

screenexile

For our club we would see if there was much interest in running one of these courses and if there were 10 or more we would get the CB  to send someone to the club to do it and the Club would pay for it then.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 23, 2017, 10:55:19 AM
I presume the lads are talking about coaching courses. I think our foundation ones are free, but I know the Award 1 and Award 2 are more expensive. Now, that said I think it's €40 and €100 respectively.

The foundation one is €10 and is usually spread over 3 nights. Award 1 is €40 and is spread over 7 nights. Haven't done Award 2 yet.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: screenexile on January 23, 2017, 11:17:55 AM
For our club we would see if there was much interest in running one of these courses and if there were 10 or more we would get the CB  to send someone to the club to do it and the Club would pay for it then.

This is exactly the set up. I'm referring specifically to the running cost of the course, not expenses to get you to/from it should you have to travel. Down county board are charging £200 (AFAIK) to run a foundation level course this coming weekend at our club. We're hoping to get 10/15 in attendance @ £10/head.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 23, 2017, 12:49:10 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 23, 2017, 10:55:19 AM

The foundation one is €10 and is usually spread over 3 nights. Award 1 is €40 and is spread over 7 nights. Haven't done Award 2 yet.

And is the status quo to pay in full yourself?