Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redhandofgod

wise up, we were beaten by Sligo in 2002, we were beaten by the 3 in a row all-Ireland champions this year!!

southtyronegael

Quote from: redhandofgod on September 19, 2017, 04:33:54 PM
wise up, we were beaten by Sligo in 2002, we were beaten by the 3 in a row all-Ireland champions this year!!
alright that's ok then.

southtyronegael

And lads why are yous comparing Tyrone to Armagh and Derry? I'm sure if they had won the amount of underage all Irelands we've won in the 10 or15 years they wouldn't be where they are either.

Club boi

southtyronegael - Before I start, I am no longer a fan of Mickey Harte. I used to be, His legacy is untouchable, what he done for Tyrone will never be forgotten. I believe its time he went before he ruins what people remember what he brought to Tyrone

But

For a long time I agreed with what you said, we were on a similar wave, but nowadays your just plain annoying. Hartes going no were, I dont like it, but I have to accept it. Either shut up with your constant hatred or leave the thread. You offer nothing these days and I for one am sick hearing the same cr@p day in day out from you

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on September 19, 2017, 02:45:11 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on September 19, 2017, 12:40:13 AM
Did any of you see Kilkenny's stats in SF v Final? He had 66 possessions in our game and 8 against Mayo!!! Holy f**k!!

Now I fully understand that we don't have a Keegan type player but Christ almighty that is shameful and a total reflection of all that was wrong in our gameplan. We aren't as well set up to match the Dubs than Mayo but feck me pink we should have done a whole lot better.

Petey Harte?

Jesus Wept!

In hiding

Quote from: longballin on September 19, 2017, 05:02:29 PM
Quote from: redhandofgod on September 19, 2017, 04:33:54 PM

beaten? we were humiliated and disgraced. The worst Ive seen
This continued argument about harte in or out is tedious as fcuk. However just to further annoy some people here's a fact. In 2002 the all Ireland champions of that year beat us by a point or two in a game we should have won had Richard Thornton goaled when he had the chance. In 2017 the all Ireland champions beat us a fair bit more comprehensively. So the obvious logic is that we were closer to winning the all Ireland at the end of 2002 than we are at the present minute

In hiding

Also, to man mark Ciaran Kilkenny, Kieran mc Geary, Conor Meyer or Rory Brennan could all do a decent job. Have a bit of belief in the players we've got

Club boi

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on September 19, 2017, 02:45:11 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on September 19, 2017, 12:40:13 AM
Did any of you see Kilkenny's stats in SF v Final? He had 66 possessions in our game and 8 against Mayo!!! Holy f**k!!

Now I fully understand that we don't have a Keegan type player but Christ almighty that is shameful and a total reflection of all that was wrong in our gameplan. We aren't as well set up to match the Dubs than Mayo but feck me pink we should have done a whole lot better.

Petey Harte?

Ach now ye serious!!!!!!!

Did P.Hampsey not mark M.Murphy out of the game v Donegal, got the better of him and scored a couple himself. Only man wouldve been fit for Kilkenny

southtyronegael

Club boi, if I'm annoying you its because I'm annoyed. And you shouldn't just'accept' things. Every man on here is entitled to have his say wether we agree with it or not.

BennyHarp

Quote from: southtyronegael on September 19, 2017, 04:43:18 PM
And lads why are yous comparing Tyrone to Armagh and Derry? I'm sure if they had won the amount of underage all Irelands we've won in the 10 or15 years they wouldn't be where they are either.

Both these teams in my view would be our biggest rivals and around 2001 (your era for comparison)we would have all been at a reasonably similar level. Yes, we've had good minor success since but only 1 U21 win. Armagh have won an All Ireland U21 championship too, in 2004 and an All Ireland minor championship in 2009. Derry have been in 3 minor finals since 2002 and won 1. Both consistently produce good players at school and college level so there is no shortage of talent in either county with both producing outstanding club teams at national level too. You are comparing Tyrone with 2001/2 and my point is that in comparison to our greatest local rivals we are significantly better. We can't compare ourselves to the 2003-08 era as we just don't have the players of that level currently. There's loads of reasons for that and Mickey may just be one of them. Your constant and incessant view that one man and one variable is the sole reason why Tyrone aren't winning All Irelands anymore is utterly blinkered and tiresome at this stage. Do think if Mickey leaves we will win the AI within the 3 year timeframe?
That was never a square ball!!

southtyronegael

Benny, I think it could take 3 years to make Tyrone competitive against the top teams never mind win an all Ireland. No matter who is manager. I'm not expecting any all Irelands, god knows we in Tyrone know how hard they are to win. I'd just like to be able to go to Tyrone games and watch our lads play football the way it should be played and see where it takes us.

Gaffer

Quote from: Club boi on September 19, 2017, 05:11:35 PM
southtyronegael - Before I start, I am no longer a fan of Mickey Harte. I used to be, His legacy is untouchable, what he done for Tyrone will never be forgotten. I believe its time he went before he ruins what people remember what he brought to Tyrone

But

For a long time I agreed with what you said, we were on a similar wave, but nowadays your just plain annoying. Hartes going no were, I dont like it, but I have to accept it. Either shut up with your constant hatred or leave the thread. You offer nothing these days and I for one am sick hearing the same cr@p day in day out from you

And he s not even from Tyrone. He is a Fermanagh man.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Il Bomber Destro

Debate on Harte is irrelevant, he's here for next year anyway so what needs to be built on?

I do think a change in approach is needed, I think the we need to be able to trust our backs a bit more to do marking jobs, I think we need more size and aggression in the team and will need to leave more players up the field at all times.

I thought defensively we were hugely exposed against Dublin - McNamee, McCrory and McCarron in particular. McCarron looks like his legs are gone, he's probably beefed up a bit too much in the past couple of years, I think he could still have a role to play marking bigger and more static men but it should be horses for courses. McNamee is a guy who should be under pressure, he was superb in 2015 and very unlucky I felt to miss out on an all star, I thought he had a few iffy moments this year. McCrory fits into the system well but if we are to move away from it then I don't think he offers an awful lot as a destroyer or as a footballer, his whole game is really based on support play and he has his limitations.

The problem is who are the better options?

I know HP McGeary has been on the panel for a while and has never really been given a shot, even this year Cassidy overtook him as the bench option for corner back. From the little I've seen of him I don't think he's up to it but who knows.

Michael McKernan will almost certainly be on the panel next year but whether he's physically up to it, I'm not sure.

Cassidy is a player I really like, he looks like he has filled out in the past few years, he has bags of pace and aggression and is a quality footballer too. I'd like to see him get an extended run in the league next year at corner back.

Rory Brennan is a very sticky marker and we're stacked as it is in the half back line so I would have no real probelms with him being tried at corner back for a while.

I've seen Gary Wallace's name been mentioned but I think he's really just a solid club player and won't be any upgrade on what's there currently. Munroe would be a good option but he's put himself out of the picture as would Mullan but he's also dropped himself. Could Loughran do a job in the full back line?

Has Conor Clarke made any return to form this year? He certainly has the physicality to give us something extra, even moreso now Justy is gone but his mobility and injury problems were halting him.

Apart from that I can't really think of any options, Ruairi Kelly of Trillick might be worth a look. I think this is the area that we need the most new fresh ideas in.

Not really too many other players further forward that will offer us much more than we have at the minute, McAliskey will be a big boost for us in the forward line. Possibly Ruairi Sludden could be worth a look and give McCullagh and McHugh more of an opportunity but I think or forward line is what it is. McNulty is a player who doesn't deliver enough from play for me and he's quite static.

I'd like to see something like:

---------------------Morgan

Cassidy------------McCarron--------------Brennan

---------------------Cavanagh

McCann------------Hampsey--------------Meyler

--------------McClure------R Donnelly

Harte----------------Sludden--------------M Donnelly

------------Bradley----------------McAliskey

Cavanagh playing his normal role of midfield cum sweeper and Mattie given a free role to drop back and roam. Try and keep Harte and Sludden operating between the middle area at all times and leave the two inside lads as closes to goal as we can for longer stages.

rrhf

I think we need to talk to Munro again. Coney amongst others.

skeog

Gary Wallace are you on drugs wouldnt make the Tyrone masters team.Conor Clarke hardly making the Omagh team.