Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

What was frustrating was the lack of movement from the 2, sometimes 3, forwards who moved into FF when Tyrone attacked. They were so static, putting their hands up for the ball but standing behind their man. Surely lads like McCurry are expert enough in that position to create space. Andy Moran, until he tired and McCarron got the upper hand, found space time and time again with clever runs. There was just nothing for the other lads to hit, so they had to recycle the ball and try again.

Some bad wides though.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

teaminamillion

Quote from: randomusername on March 26, 2017, 09:24:13 PM
Quote from: teaminamillion on March 26, 2017, 09:17:10 PM
Peter Harte and Aidan Mc Rory have played the most times for Tyrone behind Cavanagh. Says it all really. To think what players have slipped through the net. Who remembers Brian Robinson of Donaghmore. A regular corner back for Tyrone in 2001, 2002 and was All star nominated in 02. As soon as Mickey arrived out the door he went.

Well Brian how's it going?
well Mickey ye well I'm not.

skeog

Cavan be happy heading to div 2 Tyrone challenging for league final.

nrico2006

Tyrone going nowhere again this year, forward unit is useless (has been for a while) and still haven't got a half decent free taker, not like this fact has only been identified either.  Time for a change.  Harte has had his favourites over the years and there are different factors in how Coney, Mulgrew and O'Neill etc have not hit the heights they maybe should, but surely some of that has to come down to Hartes management.  New players to a team, especially forward players, need a run of games to gain confidence and not to be looking over their shoulder awaiting the curly finger.  But in this Tyrone team forwards aren't going to thrive anyway.  There have been other extremely talented players who have slipped through the net due to limited opportunites, and as mentioned there have been others favoured by Harte and given a run of games with seemingly the condition that irrelevant of performances they will continue to play (Peter Harte, Ciaran McGinley, Cathal McShane etc).  As for McShane, there seems to be a lot of hypocrites on here as people give off about the low risk tactics employed by Harte yet criticise McShane for his 'wild' shooting.  The man takes risks, which aren't always going to pay off but his unpredictability is more exciting to watch than some of the other robots we have on the team. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Up The Middle

You boys need to take a look at Tyrones more experienced players instead of having a go at the younger ones. Matty Donnelly and Peter Harte just seem to do their own thing. Durcan scored 2 from play of Harte and Parsons got the goal after Donnelly took a wild shot of his left foot in the 1st half, he then never bothered tracking back. I understand that any man can have an of day, but that doesn't mean they cant be replaced if they aren't putting a shift in.  McCrory offers nothing either going forward or in defence. Mark Bradley was very good in the 1st half when he was played close to goal, but the 2nd half he spent more time in defence and wasn't able to get forward. Surely there are better options to be covering in the half back line than your main scoring threat.

As someone else pointed out it seems nothing has been learnt from last years defeat to Mayo, same game plan same result. Anyone expecting it to change before championship time is deluded. This game plan is here as long as the manager is.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

redhandofgod

Complete joke not to close out that game yesterday. 15 wides and 3/4 into keepers hands.

McCurry was awful, he's the type of player when you are winning well would be kicking points from everywhere, however, when the pressure comes on he is a bottler!! The chance he had with a few minutes to go with match level, after Sean Cavanagh broke play up and the break was on summed him up. He didn't know whether to shoot or pass and then done neither played a stupid floated ball in that the keeper punched clear.

Matty Donnelly was very poor yesterday too. Sooner we forget about McShane the better, I don't know what anyone sees in him, never seems to make the correct decision on the ball. Bradley showed some glimpse's of what he can do but spent most of the game too deep.

The amount of hand-passing we do in tight spaces in the forward line is serious, completely overplay the ball.

nrico2006

Mattie Donnelly needs to stay away from the gym for a while, getting bigger and bigger as well as slower and slower.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

The Trap

If Tyrone would change JUST ONE THING I think it would help the whole situation.........PUSH UP ON KICK OUTS! Dublin played Donegal last year after the Tyrone Mayo game and they put FOUR players into their full forward line on Donegal kick outs to force them long..........I think Tyrone don't do this because their whole plan is based around taking on the Dubs..........however the only time I have seen the Dubs in trouble is when a team puts pressure on Cluxton.

If Tyrone would push up on kick outs I am sure the public would welcome this and start going back to games.........there is nothing worse that seeing a team take a short kick out and all the men in white sprinting in the other direction!!!!!!

tothetop03

Ah feck went to Omagh yesterday it what proved to be a very frustrating day... i do think the players are not playing for the management due to the system i could be wrong but the body language of at least 5/6 players yesterday was poor.... i was asked last night would a new management team bring anything different... i really do think for talk sake if Malachy ORourke was the Tyrone manager we would be playing a different system that possibly would suit the type of players we currently have... this current system is not working and wont work if 5/6 players seem not to be playing it....

Gaafan2

Mattie Donnelly frustrates the hell out of me! Constantly walking about with his chest out and flexing his biceps. Slows the play down too much and runs down blind alleyways, losing the ball on too many occasions!

tiempo

Quote from: gaafan2 on March 27, 2017, 10:16:31 AM
Mattie Donnelly frustrates the hell out of me! Constantly walking about with his chest out and flexing his biceps. Slows the play down too much and runs down blind alleyways, losing the ball on too many occasions!

Could we not just give Mattie an All-Ireland for his biceps and be done with it?

redhandefender

Very disappointing. The scary thing as people have pointed out is we do not seem have learnt, changed or brought anything new to the table since AI semi last year.

I don't care what the situation is harte should go with lee brennan now. McCurry has had far nore shots than he ever should have got. Brennan may not be the answer but mc curry certainly isn't.

The panic when a free was missed to start chopping and changing the kicker must ruin their confidence. why did mc curry hit a 45 then morgan come up and hit one just after. Just go short and work it in! We seem to do it with every other aspect of our game.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: The Trap on March 27, 2017, 10:10:50 AM
If Tyrone would change JUST ONE THING I think it would help the whole situation.........PUSH UP ON KICK OUTS! Dublin played Donegal last year after the Tyrone Mayo game and they put FOUR players into their full forward line on Donegal kick outs to force them long..........I think Tyrone don't do this because their whole plan is based around taking on the Dubs..........however the only time I have seen the Dubs in trouble is when a team puts pressure on Cluxton.

If Tyrone would push up on kick outs I am sure the public would welcome this and start going back to games.........there is nothing worse that seeing a team take a short kick out and all the men in white sprinting in the other direction!!!!!!

it is very frustrating to watch us retreat on every kickout and invite the opposition on to you give them a free run to the 50 yard line. Mayo didn't punish us much in the second half yesterday for it but Donegal did the previous week. We pushed up at times in the first half and got caught on the break and I think that's why he changed it but for me the reason we got caught for the goal for example was because players didn't track the runners, not that we didn't have enough men back. Playing like that means the only chance you have of winning the game is in a close match which can go either way.

If you push up on the opposition kickout and can win the ball it is the best chance of creating scores as the opposition aren't fully set up to defend. You can knock up a big score in 5 or 10 minutes if you get on top and win the kickouts. It is risky but if you put enough effort on being good at winning primary possession it can be very effective.

The other problem for me is our attacking play is still too slow. For some reason we aren't attacking at pace in 3 and 4's which is an effective way of breaking down a blanket defence.

It is still only March and we look a good bit of top fitness so hopefully the aim is to peak later in the year. The championship is what the team will be ultimately judged on so no point getting too carried away yet.

Club boi

Yeah go with Lee Brennan now so we can all flog him when he spends more time behind the brother taking short kickouts instead of up the field. Its the system thats flawed and continues to fail

I really cant get my head around teams giving a keeper an easy option for the kick out. Push Up, it nearly worked for Kerry v Dublin last year. Last week they done the same and Im not saying was the only contributing factor but Dublin finished with 11 points I think. Roscommon retreated Saturday Night and let Cluxton pick his man, Dublin hit 2-29

the goal was on

I think your being a bit harsh on tyrone, yes there is a need to get a bit sharper up front, but every other county bar dublin has that problem even the ones with the marquee forward or 2. Tyrone certainly have enough of the ball to create chances and i'm sure the management will be looking at ways of adding to their method of attacking. Sludden going off was a big loss. Having watched majority of games tyrone have pushed up in most games but sometimes its just not possible if a keeper gets it out quick. Tyrone yestereday did seem to let them kick it short but they probably felt they could bottle mayo up and hit them on break like cavan did. Mayo though were a bit cuter this week in terms of use of the ball and also protection at the back. I think they have a decent chance of beating Kerry this weekend and thats not a bad position to be in.