Sligo v Roscommon. June 20th

Started by sligoman2, June 12, 2015, 03:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

I decided to open a new thread for this game as the Connacht championship one had "gone off track" to say the least.

Roscommon are obviously big favourites and deservedly so.  A div 1 team against a middle of the table div 3 team.

Sligo play best when massive underdogs and I wouldn't be surprised if we gave Ros a good run for their money.  Any news on challenges, injuries etc..

If we can hold our own at midfield we could do okay, can/will Murphy and Brehony get enough posession if that is who we pick?

Looking forward to this game, it could be a good game and much closer than people might think.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Itchy

Roscommon are no great shakes in midfield but can your backs hold their forwards?

Rossie11

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 12, 2015, 03:18:13 AM

I decided to open a new thread for this game as the Connacht championship one had "gone off track" to say the least.

Roscommon are obviously big favourites and deservedly so.  A div 1 team against a middle of the table div 3 team.

Sligo play best when massive underdogs and I wouldn't be surprised if we gave Ros a good run for their money.  Any news on challenges, injuries etc..

If we can hold our own at midfield we could do okay, can/will Murphy and Brehony get enough posession if that is who we pick?

Looking forward to this game, it could be a good game and much closer than people might think.

Most people actually think it will be close
Bookies have it 2-3pts on the handicap which is same for instance as Armagh V Donegal or Tipp/Lim in hurling.
There has rarely been much between them regardless of when they played. The home advantage should be worth a few points to Sligo.
Our last game up there was a disappointing U21 loss when we were pumped up as raging favourites.
Nobody (bar a few headcases) are looking any further than this game and I for one wouldnt put a cent on Ross at 2/5.

Rossfan

I expect we'll get plenty of it from Sligo which should bring out the best in our lads.
That ought to get us through.
Any laziness or thinking we have it won etc and it's " what qualifier section are we in"?
Murray back will improve the defence which is badly needed, Higgins out means midfield problems continue while questions have to beasked up front if Cregg and Donie start.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

commonman

9 meetings in my lifetime 1981(S), 1982(R), 1987(S), 1989(R), 1997(S), 1998*2(R) 2004*2(R), 2007(S) and 2010(R).

Apart from a facile win for Roscommon in 1989, there's never anything in it, and of those 11 meetings its 5 ros 4 Sligo and 2 draws. Worryingly from a Roscommon point of view, its often the perceived underdog going into the game that comes out on top. Losing Ultan Harney and Kevin Higgins in an area where ros are struggling is a huge blow for Roscommon. And with home advantage no doubt the likes of breheny marren Kelly murphy know where the posts are. And i'm sure theres a few new names in Sligo we don't yet know about. It could be another uncomfortable sat evening for us in that venue in as many months.

sligoman2

Quote from: commonman on June 12, 2015, 11:07:46 AM
9 meetings in my lifetime 1981(S), 1982(R), 1987(S), 1989(R), 1997(S), 1998*2(R) 2004*2(R), 2007(S) and 2010(R).

Apart from a facile win for Roscommon in 1989, there's never anything in it, and of those 11 meetings its 5 ros 4 Sligo and 2 draws. Worryingly from a Roscommon point of view, its often the perceived underdog going into the game that comes out on top. Losing Ultan Harney and Kevin Higgins in an area where ros are struggling is a huge blow for Roscommon. And with home advantage no doubt the likes of breheny marren Kelly murphy know where the posts are. And i'm sure theres a few new names in Sligo we don't yet know about. It could be another uncomfortable sat evening for us in that venue in as many months.
lets hope we even the score on Saturday week.
What are the odds on Sligo ?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Syferus

Larryin's been busy I see. And it's a fake account in case any of you are that slow to think it was real.

Put Up That Flag

Was in Sligo earlier and I was told the Connacht council have a company in reprogramming the electronic scoreboards ahead of Saturday,  they are afraid with the current configuration it won't be able to record all that the Roscommon galactico forwards will score Saturday.  Kilbride,  Shine,  Murtagh and Cregger, how can any defence expect to keep these at bay due to the picture that has been painted of them on this forum.

Goin Down

Could well be a close game with Roscommon surely not aiming to reach their peak until August and the challenge of the Dubs in the semi final.
Remember This.

gibbs32

Ive always had a soft spot for sligo.cold hard reality is roscommon are working off a different dimension. I do worry about our midfield. Full back line as well. Overall we will beat sligo and have a riot in castlebar if we are bet following game..home of the blue shirts are mayo.a mean dirty depression

Farrandeelin

Quote from: gibbs32 on June 15, 2015, 09:36:19 PM
Ive always had a soft spot for sligo.cold hard reality is roscommon are working off a different dimension. I do worry about our midfield. Full back line as well. Overall we will beat sligo and have a riot in castlebar if we are bet following game..home of the blue shirts are mayo.a mean dirty depression
gibbs you have me fascinated, who's going to start off the riot if you lose to Mayo. Should I buy a baseball bat in case ye do lose? I don't like FG much myself either, aand sure FF are in control of Mayo Co Council!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on June 15, 2015, 06:09:37 PM
Was in Sligo earlier and I was told the Connacht council have a company in reprogramming the electronic scoreboards ahead of Saturday,  they are afraid with the current configuration it won't be able to record all that the Roscommon galactico forwards will score Saturday.  Kilbride,  Shine,  Murtagh and Cregger, how can any defence expect to keep these at bay due to the picture that has been painted of them on this forum.

The nets had to be replaced with a stronger version too, apparently if you kick 100 goals the old net would potentially give way and fall apart. As it's likely Kilbride will score 100 goals on his own there was no other choice than to get new nets in. Interesting fact is the nets were imported from Japan where they are used for whale fishing.

Put Up That Flag

Game is all ticket as well because they they are only letting in 50% capacity as the crowd will move to whatever end Roscommon forwards are kicking, so at half time there will be an exodus from one end to the other, Connacht council don't think it would be fair to fill the other end of the ground as they aren't expecting Sligo to get past midfield.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Put Up That Flag on June 15, 2015, 11:34:13 PM
Game is all ticket as well because they they are only letting in 50% capacity as the crowd will move to whatever end Roscommon forwards are kicking, so at half time there will be an exodus from one end to the other, Connacht council don't think it would be fair to fill the other end of the ground as they aren't expecting Sligo to get past midfield.

;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 15, 2015, 11:35:41 PM
Quote from: Put Up That Flag on June 15, 2015, 11:34:13 PM

;D

You know you're laughing at the same fella that's just being banned for making sick jokes in the Galway-Mayo thread, Farr..