Martin Mc Guinness Passes Away at 66

Started by vallankumous, January 09, 2017, 10:51:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

Never thought I'd say it but fair play to Ian Jnr - Wwatever his motivation - I felt he was being honest and DUP majority could take a leaf out of his book and things would be a whole lot better.

No wides

Quote from: The Stallion on January 20, 2017, 10:18:33 AM
Yet again any dissenting viewpoint on here is met with hostility.

The same protagonists over and over, they should ask this to become a safe space where no one can disagree.

Keyser soze

Quote from: No wides on January 20, 2017, 11:00:36 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on January 20, 2017, 10:18:33 AM
Yet again any dissenting viewpoint on here is met with hostility.

The same protagonists over and over, they should ask this to become a safe space where no one can disagree.

I don't suppose you two clowns are being ironic with these comments?

The Stallion

No. I have no problem with people expressing opinions contrary to my own. I certainly don't issue threats or tell people not to post like several posters here have done to me.

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 12:16:50 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 19, 2017, 08:09:50 PM
Pop shots from your chair, Martin McGuinness will go down in history as a game changer and a man of peace. If only you had 5 minutes in his presence. Thank you Martin on behalf of my children on turning this place around. I myself have become disillusioned with Sinn fein 2.0 but McGuinness always had peace for this land on his agenda.

People have short memories if they think this latest scandal is on a par with the past. The simple truth is the protestant state for a  Protestant people is no more. Thank God.

McGuiness will go down as Paisley did. A firebrand with blood on his hands who saw some modicum of sense as the light was already waning on his political life. Paisley at least left a stable government behind - McGuiness basically stuck a needle in the bouncing castle and ran off.

It really is amusing to see how SF figures are regarded in nationalist circles in the north versus how the rest of Ireland (catholic/secular Ireland) view of them, mainly because they're not burdened by the person being on 'their side'.

John Hume is a great man; under no objective viewing was Martin McGuinness.

How telling this is.  Syferus finally admits what most northern Nationalists knew for years.  That a lot of our 26 county 'brethren', never mind not actively supporting their fellow countrymen, are not even on "our side".  The Rossie lads sold us out, pulled up the ladder and bravely ran off into the sunset.

At least he's finally admitted it.  Others try to maintain a laughable noble facade.

Franko

Quote from: The Stallion on January 20, 2017, 11:33:38 AM
No. I have no problem with people expressing opinions contrary to my own. I certainly don't issue threats or tell people not to post like several posters here have done to me.

Cry me a river.

Syferus

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/martin-mcguinness-record-in-executive-cant-exorcise-the-ghosts-of-the-past-35321466.html

Great article that accurately outlines how McGuiness is and will be viewed outside hard nationalist circles (and SF AGMs, I guess) in the six counties.

The rush to lionise the nationalist answer to Ian Paisley here just because he's gone shows a serious lack of perspective. Like Paisley, he took the north deeper down the rabbit hole. Everyone would have been better off without both.

NAG1

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 11:38:21 AM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/martin-mcguinness-record-in-executive-cant-exorcise-the-ghosts-of-the-past-35321466.html

Great article that accurately outlines how McGuiness is and will be viewed outside hard nationalist circles (and SF AGMs, I guess) in the six counties.

The rush to lionise the nationalist answer to Ian Paisley here just because he's gone shows a serious lack of perspective. Like Paisley, he took the north deeper down the rabbit hole. Everyone would have been better off without both.

Bit of an attempt to rewrite history there Syferus.

I think your time scales of cause and effect between Paisley and MMcG are slightly off there, but why let that get in the way of your anti-northern agenda.

Easy to desensitise yourself from the situation when looking in from a far and cherry picking the bits that you want to acknowledge.

Not going to get drawn into a wind up argument which you seem to want, safe in the knowledge that no one is arguing that MMcG's past didnt happen, it was his drive to move from that position to a place where catholics/ nationalist/ republicans are no longer second class citizens and can live in a mainly peaceful society, that I will give him credit for.

johnneycool

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 12:16:50 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 19, 2017, 08:09:50 PM
Pop shots from your chair, Martin McGuinness will go down in history as a game changer and a man of peace. If only you had 5 minutes in his presence. Thank you Martin on behalf of my children on turning this place around. I myself have become disillusioned with Sinn fein 2.0 but McGuinness always had peace for this land on his agenda.

People have short memories if they think this latest scandal is on a par with the past. The simple truth is the protestant state for a  Protestant people is no more. Thank God.

McGuiness will go down as Paisley did. A firebrand with blood on his hands who saw some modicum of sense as the light was already waning on his political life. Paisley at least left a stable government behind - McGuiness basically stuck a needle in the bouncing castle and ran off.

It really is amusing to see how SF figures are regarded in nationalist circles in the north versus how the rest of Ireland (catholic/secular Ireland) view of them, mainly because they're not burdened by the person being on 'their side'.

John Hume is a great man; under no objective viewing was Martin McGuinness.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

tiempo

Quote from: NAG1 on January 20, 2017, 11:58:11 AM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/martin-mcguinness-record-in-executive-cant-exorcise-the-ghosts-of-the-past-35321466.html

Bit of an attempt to rewrite history there Syferus.

I think your time scales of cause and effect between Paisley and MMcG are slightly off there, but why let that get in the way of your anti-northern agenda.

Easy to desensitise yourself from the situation when looking in from a far and cherry picking the bits that you want to acknowledge.

Not going to get drawn into a wind up argument which you seem to want, safe in the knowledge that no one is arguing that MMcG's past didnt happen, it was his drive to move from that position to a place where catholics/ nationalist/ republicans are no longer second class citizens and can live in a mainly peaceful society, that I will give him credit for.

There is a clientele in the shires of Roscommon that are unable to address simple questions due to the effects of living in a demilitrised zone for quislings. Supine antics.

Applesisapples

I can only surmise that those on here who are being disingenuous with their views on McGuinness, fall into two categories, they either are 40 and under in age or live in the south. Anyone of my generation and older will only too readily remember what it was like growing up in the Protestant state. I could what about all day on nationalist grievances, my experience in work and on the streets and the actions of our fellow countrymen. But I won't. Martin McGuinness got embroiled in the troubles and the IRA because of his experiences. The history is there go read it. In fact those of you who want to objectively view the northern state and the cause of the troubles should go read Bonfires on the Hillsides by James Kelly. The best history of the North to be written. I personally could never pick up arms, but many like McGuinness did so out of frustration and a sense injustice. Am I condoning the atrocities ... absolutely not, but they need to be viewed in context. The SDLP and John Hume great man as he is could not have delivered the GFA or the peace process with out the IRA's actions, Unionists simply would not have moved, if you believe otherwise then you are a fool. There was much done on both sides and we thankfully have moved beyond that. You don't have to like Martin mcGuinness to acknowledge his contribution in delivering the North to where we are now. He has continuously stretched himself and nationalism in attempts to reach accommodation with political unionism only to be thwarted by intransigence. Unlike some he has never denied his past or sought to hide behind red hats or shotgun licences.

Rossfan

Syferus is a silly young gobdaw taking his views from British media outlets.
He's still entitled to his opinion and no doubt when he reaches 25 and his frontal lobes develops he might just learn that the world isn't one dimensional.
And by Jases in Derry it certainly wasn't from 1968 onwards.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

The Stallion

Quote from: Franko on January 20, 2017, 11:36:27 AM
Quote from: The Stallion on January 20, 2017, 11:33:38 AM

Cry me a river.

No

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on January 20, 2017, 12:23:17 PM
Syferus is a silly young gobdaw taking his views from British media outlets.
He's still entitled to his opinion and no doubt when he reaches 25 and his frontal lobes develops he might just learn that the world isn't one dimensional.
And by Jases in Derry it certainly wasn't from 1968 onwards.

I'll tell Michael Mulligan you're still genuflecting to your photo of Comrade McGuiness (does anyone actually believe he severed ties with the Provos in 1974 like he says he did?) in the mornings next time I'm in. He'll be well pleased.

The rest of us still see McGuinness for what he is. A divisive figure that did more to drive communities apart than bring them together.

foxcommander

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 01:24:12 PM
The rest of us still see McGuinness for what he is. A divisive figure that did more to drive communities apart than bring them together.

And your experiences of Derry and NI in the 1960's and 70's give you the perfect basis for your opinion.
Keep going, your revision of history is very informative.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie