The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: laoislad on January 20, 2017, 11:17:45 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 20, 2017, 09:46:35 AM
Henderson isn't half the player of Carrick and I'm no United fan!
Would Carrick get into the Liverpool team ahead of Henderson? Not a chance IMO.

Carrick is past his best. Without doubt in his prime a player Henderson will never get near to.

Henderson is an athlete who can pass 5 yards. Carrick started off as an attacking midfielder but Ferguson realised he had the temperament and tactical nous to play in a number of positions. One of the few English players this past 20 years to have a clue about this side of the game.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 20, 2017, 11:46:24 AM

Carrick is past his best. Without doubt in his prime a player Henderson will never get near to.

Henderson is an athlete who can pass 5 yards. Carrick started off as an attacking midfielder but Ferguson realised he had the temperament and tactical nous to play in a number of positions. One of the few English players this past 20 years to have a clue about this side of the game.

That's how I'd see it too. Carrick pretty highly rated across Europe by the top clubs also. My only knock on him was that for his size he got knocked off the ball too easily at times but has been a very good player for United.

AZOffaly

LAds, if you think Henderson can only pass the ball 5 yards, you haven't seen much of him in the last couple of years. His position in the team, and his job to keep it ticking over means a lot of his passes will be 5 yards to Lallana, Wijnaldum, or picking it up off Lovren or Matip. But he certainly has the long diagonal ball, or the through ball in his locker. His first time ball through has set up quite a few goals for Liverpool and also he has scored a couple himself. I think if he played further forward he'd be scoring a lot more, but he's playing well in that position.

laoislad

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 20, 2017, 11:46:24 AM

Can only pass a ball 5 yards... You're having a laugh.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I just checked, and Henderson has 4 assists this year, from that position, as well as the goal v Chelsea. That's not bad as a defensive midfielder basically. Actually Henderson is ranked T17th in the league. Only Wayne Rooney (!) from Man United has more. Michael Carrick doesn't have an official assist yet.

Walter Cronc

AZ not knocking you but explain to me the benefits of a long diagonal ball??

A through ball of 10 - 15 yards is much more beneficial.

Gerrard loved the hollywood passes with little outcome.

AZOffaly

A long diagonal ball that switches play is very beneficial if the play is congested down one side, or down the middle.

Walter Cronc

True. I just feel that Gerrard had a tendency to play them from a central area. By the time the ball was at the feet of the winger the full back had already got into position to close them down. In my opinion 2-3 short, snappy passes can open a side up.

The Stallion

Agreed on Gerrard, he loved a Hollywood ball straight into touch.

Henderson is a poor sitting midfielder, and he is nowhere near good enough to be playing in a more advanced role. Apart from running around a lot he has no discernable ability. He is holding Liverpool back.Klopp thinks he's great though.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 20, 2017, 12:20:11 PM
True. I just feel that Gerrard had a tendency to play them from a central area. By the time the ball was at the feet of the winger the full back had already got into position to close them down. In my opinion 2-3 short, snappy passes can open a side up.

Gerrard certainly had a tendency to overdo them. I suppose it's like anything else, if you over do it, you become predictable, and you have to mix it up. Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Sturridge, Lallana etc, are all there to do the snappy interchanges around the edge of the box. Henderson mainly gives it to them to let them do their thing. But if a defence is all piled in around the centre to stop them, there's nothing wrong with a switch to the other wing to let Milner or Clyne get around the outside. Henderson has done that to good effect.

Look, he's not one of the best midfielders in the world, but he's (ironically given his previous struggles when he first arrived) underrated be a lot of supporters of other teams. I'm happier when he's playing than when he's not.

In fact, you could say a big factor in not winning the title that year was because of his red card v City.

laoislad

Totally agree about the red card v City. I said it at the time also
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Stallion

Lol. Nothing to do with Gerrard slipping against Chelsea's second string? And his subsequent horrendous display for the rest of the game, ignoriing his teammates to shoot from ridiculous positions in a pathetic attempt to salvage his own pride at the expense of the team?. Or them being completely reliant on Suarez? Appalling defensive performances every week which Henderson was an integral part of?

No it was all down to Henderson's red card apparently. Delusional.

AZOffaly

I said big factor you donkey, not only factor. Your act is very tiresome at this stage. Give it up.

The Stallion

Act? I'm just giving my honest opinion on the problems at Liverpool. Henderson is a terrible footballer.

magpie seanie

I was being a wee bit harsh. Henderson is a good player in my view.