Fixture Planning

Started by Redhand Santa, March 16, 2023, 08:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhand Santa

Before I write what I'm going to say I should point out I'm not a massive rugby fan or one to complain about gaa matches clashing with other sports (only gaa people do this).

But sometimes you wonder could gaa do things better to promote our own games. This weekend Ireland play England and it will undoubtedly attract a lot of national coverage and large tv audience. On a normal weekend it would be hard to avoid a clash of matches which is fair enough. But surely this weekend was perfect to use St Patrick's Day for games? Especially when the rugby fixtures out a year in advance so plenty of time to plan things. St Patricks Day has traditionally been a huge GAA day and it is sad that we no longer have any high profile games (the schools matches won't register with most people and still could have been played). If they'd played Meath Dublin at 4 tomorrow and Armagh Galway at 6 I'm sure they would have attracted much higher tv audiences (little or no other sport on) and given the games a bit of exposure. Can't really see a reason why not to play games St Patricks Day?

Brendan

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 16, 2023, 08:01:40 AM
Before I write what I'm going to say I should point out I'm not a massive rugby fan or one to complain about gaa matches clashing with other sports (only gaa people do this).

But sometimes you wonder could gaa do things better to promote our own games. This weekend Ireland play England and it will undoubtedly attract a lot of national coverage and large tv audience. On a normal weekend it would be hard to avoid a clash of matches which is fair enough. But surely this weekend was perfect to use St Patrick's Day for games? Especially when the rugby fixtures out a year in advance so plenty of time to plan things. St Patricks Day has traditionally been a huge GAA day and it is sad that we no longer have any high profile games (the schools matches won't register with most people and still could have been played). If they'd played Meath Dublin at 4 tomorrow and Armagh Galway at 6 I'm sure they would have attracted much higher tv audiences (little or no other sport on) and given the games a bit of exposure. Can't really see a reason why not to play games St Patricks Day?

Is it an official bank holiday in the 6 counties? I've been made to work St. Paddy's on a few occasions depending on my employer

imtommygunn

It's not though I have always got the day off and I think most do.

I do miss the club finals on st patricks day. I thought that was a great occasion and something should be done to replace it or something.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2023, 08:52:16 AM

I do miss the club finals on st patricks day. I thought that was a great occasion and something should be done to replace it or something.

I'm still annoyed that this has been taken away, I'm actually not bothered about parades (up here back in the day they were usually hijacked) the club was the hub for the day with both games on, Irish dancing going on in the big hall, plates of stew coming from the kitchen, we used to have a hurling game or sevens tournament in the mornings and the place was packed!

Bed for about 7 thinking it was around 11 and none the wiser but a great time to meet up with the lads and get the low down for the year ahead and talk shite.

Most ones now are doing their own things now and not bothering so much with the club on Paddy's day, we still have loads of activities going on but that buzz seems to have gone and certainly the GAA have (in my opinion) lost sight of a big GAA day in the calendar year
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah I couldn't give a shite about parades. Going to or watching the matches was a great wee day  :(

clarshack

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 16, 2023, 09:02:30 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2023, 08:52:16 AM

I'm still annoyed that this has been taken away, I'm actually not bothered about parades (up here back in the day they were usually hijacked) the club was the hub for the day with both games on, Irish dancing going on in the big hall, plates of stew coming from the kitchen, we used to have a hurling game or sevens tournament in the mornings and the place was packed!

Bed for about 7 thinking it was around 11 and none the wiser but a great time to meet up with the lads and get the low down for the year ahead and talk shite.

Most ones now are doing their own things now and not bothering so much with the club on Paddy's day, we still have loads of activities going on but that buzz seems to have gone and certainly the GAA have (in my opinion) lost sight of a big GAA day in the calendar year

yeah there used to be a buzz about St. Patrick's Day and with no club finals on it anymore it's just not the same.

thewobbler

I reckon if GAA put a full (or pretty full) national league programme on St Patrick's Day, they'd be lambasted for hijacking a family day out.

Eire90

maybe if the provincial championships ever became separate they could play finals on paddys day or if the gaa brought in a new national competition.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eire90 on March 16, 2023, 10:37:17 AM
maybe if the provincial championships ever became separate they could play finals on paddys day or if the gaa brought in a new national competition.

No need for a maky uppy type competition the tournament was and is there already and if I become president  ;D ;D it will be that which I will bring back!!!

Vote for MR2
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

The Provincial championships used to take pride of place on St Patricks day and got huge crowds for the finals back in the 50's and 60's..

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 16, 2023, 10:51:00 AM

The Provincial championships used to take pride of place on St Patricks day and got huge crowds for the finals back in the 50's and 60's..

Wouldn't muster 100 people at the games nowadays, I was at them plenty back in the day and there wasn't many at them, maybe at a push 4 or 5 thousand?

Rossfan

Nordies hankering after the past...... ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on March 16, 2023, 11:01:33 AM
Nordies hankering after the past...... ::)

Makes absolutely no sense, but there ya go