Overcarrying

Started by Cavan19, January 07, 2022, 09:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Though on this ?

There is a problem with players taking over four steps but i don't think that Brian McEvoys idea to have a two second rule is going to sort anything out it would have a referees head melted. AFAIK referees don't even count steps anyway as they only end up counting there own steps.

https://hoganstand.com/Cavan/Article/Index/321662

QuoteUlster GAA secretary Brian McAvoy is calling for the 'four steps' rule in gaelic football to be replaced by a 'two seconds' limit.

Writing in his annual report to the 2022 Ulster Convention, which will be held on Friday, January 14, McAvoy states that the current rule, which allows a player to take four steps before having to hop or solo the ball, makes life difficult for referees and outlines his preference for a 'time-based approach'.

"The rule has been in place for many years and in relation to hurling it largely continues to fulfill its purpose. The same, however, cannot be said for football," McAvoy writes.

"It was introduced in an era when 'catch and kick' was the norm and for a player to take even four steps was something of a rarity.

"But the game has evolved - it has changed from a game of 'catch and kick' to a possession game and the rule has failed to keep pace with the evolution of the game. In the modern era a player can have taken four steps before you have time to blink and if a referee in Gaelic Football attempted to implement the rule there would be chaos. They therefore, understandably, choose to ignore it.

"Rarely is a player in possession of the ball penalised for 'over-carrying' (other than when he is surrounded by opposition players) and the vast majority of players take at least seven or eight steps between 'toe-taps' when they are moving unimpeded.

"On many occasions it's many more as we witnessed in a recent All-Ireland final. Where a rule can't be enforced it shouldn't be there.

"Some players move so fast that it would be almost impossible for a referee to count steps in real time, especially when he has so many other matters of which to be mindful.

"A 'time-based' approach rather than a 'steps-based' approach is obviously the approach. I therefore believe that the GAA's Standing Committee on Playing Rules should consider the issue of steps in Gaelic football with a view to bringing forward a proposal for experimentation in 2022 or 2023."

Truth hurts

It is hard enough to referee without this crap. Brian needs to stick to bashing the newsletter and staying away from rules.

Itchy

On the other hand most over carrying is done when you get surrounded in the tackle and you in effect are not taking steps at all, just holding onto the ball. Its rare enough you see the frees for actually carrying the ball too far.

tyrone08

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 07, 2022, 09:32:34 AM
It is hard enough to referee without this crap. Brian needs to stick to bashing the newsletter and staying away from rules.

Wasn't that his actual point. It's too difficult to expect refs to count the steps so a time based approach would be easier to implement. The amount of overcarrying is unreal especially when there is a goal chance on. Either scrap the rule or change it so that it actually can be implemented.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tyrone08 on January 07, 2022, 10:20:35 AM

Wasn't that his actual point. It's too difficult to expect refs to count the steps so a time based approach would be easier to implement. The amount of overcarrying is unreal especially when there is a goal chance on. Either scrap the rule or change it so that it actually can be implemented.

As a ref, its very hard to get it right exactly, all referees interpret the steps themselves so there is no real consistency across the board, some ref's are hard on steps some are hard on 'tackles' some soft on tackles. Some ref's allow an extra few steps when the lad is being tackled, the advantage rule was brought in then and that should have stopped the 'slow' whistle blow which was an old way to give an advantage.

The vast majority of ref's are ex players so their view on a play in a game is different to others. We've all been at games with friends and had a different view when the ref does or doesn't blow his whistle.

I wonder do these guys who think up these new rules actually implement them in a series of challenge games and have a look at the game afterwards and view the stats and the flow of the game.

The 2 second rule would be a disaster in my view for the game, but life would be easier on the ref
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

shark

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2022, 10:44:08 AM

As a ref, its very hard to get it right exactly, all referees interpret the steps themselves so there is no real consistency across the board, some ref's are hard on steps some are hard on 'tackles' some soft on tackles. Some ref's allow an extra few steps when the lad is being tackled, the advantage rule was brought in then and that should have stopped the 'slow' whistle blow which was an old way to give an advantage.

The vast majority of ref's are ex players so their view on a play in a game is different to others. We've all been at games with friends and had a different view when the ref does or doesn't blow his whistle.

I wonder do these guys who think up these new rules actually implement them in a series of challenge games and have a look at the game afterwards and view the stats and the flow of the game.

The 2 second rule would be a disaster in my view for the game, but life would be easier on the ref

I remember a few years ago a particular ref (a generally quite good one, in my opinion) in my county started implementing this rule in it's strictest form. I was still playing at the time, and I think between league and championship we had him for 3 or 4 games. It was absolute mayhem. Players falling over themselves trying to adapt mid-game. It's became a completely different game.
This ref went back to the "normal" interpretation the following year.
I think objectively one knows what overcarrying looks like when they see it. Certainly I don't find myself complaining about opposing players overcarrying very often. We know it's not 4 steps - but it looks like it's close enough. I don't see it as a problem in the game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shark on January 07, 2022, 10:55:19 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2022, 10:44:08 AM

I remember a few years ago a particular ref (a generally quite good one, in my opinion) in my county started implementing this rule in it's strictest form. I was still playing at the time, and I think between league and championship we had him for 3 or 4 games. It was absolute mayhem. Players falling over themselves trying to adapt mid-game. It's became a completely different game.
This ref went back to the "normal" interpretation the following year.
I think objectively one knows what overcarrying looks like when they see it. Certainly I don't find myself complaining about opposing players overcarrying very often. We know it's not 4 steps - but it looks like it's close enough. I don't see it as a problem in the game.

I agree and have a personally softer approach to steps., unless they are taking the piss and within a reasonable 4 seconds then play on, as long as you do it for both then there should be no issues, TV highlights incidents in slow motion, which on reflection does look a lot worse. Players need to know the style of a ref and its on them if they don't
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rrhf

Disagree. Defenders job is difficult enough trying to time the tackle after the bounce / solo on the 4th step.

From the Bunker

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rrhf on January 07, 2022, 12:40:33 PM
Disagree. Defenders job is difficult enough trying to time the tackle after the bounce / solo on the 4th step.

To tackle someone is not a foul? What are you on about?

From the Bunker

Con O'Callaghan took 6 steps and a bounce then 7 to 8 steps before scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYBFoI-fznE

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2022, 01:06:39 PM
Con O'Callaghan took 6 steps and a bounce then 7 to 8 steps before scoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYBFoI-fznE

Again, in real time and in the heat of the game those things will happen, its a mistake on the ref for not pulling that
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2022, 12:59:49 PM
Craziest overcarring decision of last year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWuFl_8DiWc

The goal keeper over carrying? I counted first few carry's were fine, he over carried the ball the later and was called on it

themac_23

I actually dont think there is too much of a problem with over carrying, I think each referee is different in how they implement the rules if they blow a couple early doors well then you know how its gonna pan out. Most players know what certain refs are hard on and more lenient on. Even if its a ref you're not sure on you learn in the first 5-10 mins what he's gonna be like with letting steps go etc, just leave it as is, why do we need to make changes every year

Milltown Row2

Quote from: themac_23 on January 07, 2022, 01:13:51 PM
I actually dont think there is too much of a problem with over carrying, I think each referee is different in how they implement the rules if they blow a couple early doors well then you know how its gonna pan out. Most players know what certain refs are hard on and more lenient on. Even if its a ref you're not sure on you learn in the first 5-10 mins what he's gonna be like with letting steps go etc, just leave it as is, why do we need to make changes every year

I can see how some people can get annoyed about it, if a goal is scored and it looked like he over carried the ball the ref will come in for some stick..

I normally give extra steps for small people lol  ;)

Rossfan

Run very fast and don't stop to think ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM