Price of a Pint

Started by toby47, October 13, 2021, 09:46:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Quote from: gallsman on October 13, 2021, 11:32:14 AM
When I moved to Dublin on 2005, the price of a pint in a bar in town, or certainly in a nightclub, was 4.50 to 5e. The average price in Belfast was £2.50.

Now drinks in Belfast are £5-6 and the price in Dublin is still in and around 5e. Crazy. A friend over here is home at the minute and reported paying £5.20 in the Errigle the other night. One of my favourite pubs but apparently has gone downhill a lot?

EDIT: have just seen someone has made the exact same point.

Yeah the Errigal would be one of my favourites too, haven't been since before Covid. Just took a quick look at their online menu

Guinness
Stout | 4.2%
Pint £5.20

Harp
Lager | 4.0%
Pint £5.20

Carlsberg
Lager | 3.8%
Pint £5.20

Rockshore
Lager | 4.0%
Pint £5.20

Heverlee
Lager | 4.8%
Pint £5.70

Peroni
Lager | 5.1%
Pint £6.00

Hop House 13
Lager | 4.1%
Pint £5.20

Smithwicks
Red Ale | 4.5%
Pint £5.20

Rockshore Light
Light Lager | 3.5%
Pint £5.20

Guinness Zero
Stout | 0.0%
Pint £5.20

Angry Orchard
Cider | 5.0%
Pint £5.70

thewobbler

A group of Belfast pub chain owners - let's be honest, it's only 3-4 that matter at this stage - would seem to have come together and agreed to implement the old pricing strategy ie one third of the final price to the wholesaler, one third for staff, spillage and running costs, one third for profit or reinvestment.

In some ways it's a clever move. People are so eager to get out and about again and will spend heavily. Belfast (city centre) is predominantly a one night a week town for bars to make money, and they would seem likely to have full houses if they charge twice again. Those same patrons aren't taking as many holidays and trips elsewhere, so can't price gauge as accurately. Plus, if every other major pub is also in on the racket, it becomes normalised.

As a strategy it will succeed for as long as Belfast's Saturday night trade holds up. Which shows signs it will do.

——

In one way they're right to do this. Making money out of a pub these days is exceptionally risky and volatile.

But what the greedy f**kers seem to have forgotten is that for the past 15 years, when they allowed their margins to slide on draught beer, they've been doubling their margins on spirits, wine and soft drinks, to the point that they're making 80% for profit and reinvestment off those sales.

So the customer is losing out. And as the resultant cost of a night has grown to more than the weekly disposable income of lots of folk, sooner or later the customer will step off.

——

Personally I'd have preferred the same publicans had joined together to lock horns against Diageo and take them down a peg.

In 1995 a pint of Carlsberg in the City centre Belfast was £1.50. Id assume publicans were buying it at around 50p per pint including VAT.

12 tins of the same beer at the time, in any off licence was £7.99.

For a publican to buy in a pint of Carlsberg in 2021, it's about £1.95 inc VAT.

Yet in an off licence it is roughly £8.99 for 12 tins.

Anyone can do the maths on that and work out that there's a price fixing scam in place.

——

Diageo has been trying to destroy the pub trade for 20 years.

Now the Belfast publicans are joining in.

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: thewobbler on October 13, 2021, 12:00:19 PM
A group of Belfast pub chain owners - let's be honest, it's only 3-4 that matter at this stage - would seem to have come together and agreed to implement the old pricing strategy ie one third of the final price to the wholesaler, one third for staff, spillage and running costs, one third for profit or reinvestment.

In some ways it's a clever move. People are so eager to get out and about again and will spend heavily. Belfast (city centre) is predominantly a one night a week town for bars to make money, and they would seem likely to have full houses if they charge twice again. Those same patrons aren't taking as many holidays and trips elsewhere, so can't price gauge as accurately. Plus, if every other major pub is also in on the racket, it becomes normalised.

As a strategy it will succeed for as long as Belfast's Saturday night trade holds up. Which shows signs it will do.

——

In one way they're right to do this. Making money out of a pub these days is exceptionally risky and volatile.

But what the greedy f**kers seem to have forgotten is that for the past 15 years, when they allowed their margins to slide on draught beer, they've been doubling their margins on spirits, wine and soft drinks, to the point that they're making 80% for profit and reinvestment off those sales.

So the customer is losing out. And as the resultant cost of a night has grown to more than the weekly disposable income of lots of folk, sooner or later the customer will step off.

——

Personally I'd have preferred the same publicans had joined together to lock horns against Diageo and take them down a peg.

In 1995 a pint of Carlsberg in the City centre Belfast was £1.50. Id assume publicans were buying it at around 50p per pint including VAT.

12 tins of the same beer at the time, in any off licence was £7.99.

For a publican to buy in a pint of Carlsberg in 2021, it's about £1.95 inc VAT.

Yet in an off licence it is roughly £8.99 for 12 tins.

Anyone can do the maths on that and work out that there's a price fixing scam in place.

——

Diageo has been trying to destroy the pub trade for 20 years.

Now the Belfast publicans are joining in.

this is it

the prices are the wrong way round

pints should be cheaper than off sales

JoG2

£5.20 for a Rockshore light, my god. A few of us now have wee rooms / spaces for a night's supping the odd weekend. Half a dozen men, some music and a box of beer for £12.
Local builders are up to their ears renovating home bars and spaces for folk.

maddog

Quote from: toby47 on October 13, 2021, 11:52:04 AM
When I moved to Dublin on 2005, the price of a pint in a bar in town, or certainly in a nightclub, was 4.50 to 5e. The average price in Belfast was £2.50.

Now drinks in Belfast are £5-6 and the price in Dublin is still in and around 5e. Crazy. A friend over here is home at the minute and reported paying £5.20 in the Errigle the other night. One of my favourite pubs but apparently has gone downhill a lot?

Yeah the Errigal would be one of my favourites too, haven't been since before Covid. Just took a quick look at their online menu

Guinness
Stout | 4.2%
Pint £5.20

Harp
Lager | 4.0%
Pint £5.20

Carlsberg
Lager | 3.8%
Pint £5.20

Rockshore
Lager | 4.0%
Pint £5.20

Heverlee
Lager | 4.8%
Pint £5.70

Peroni
Lager | 5.1%
Pint £6.00

Hop House 13
Lager | 4.1%
Pint £5.20

Smithwicks
Red Ale | 4.5%
Pint £5.20

Rockshore Light
Light Lager | 3.5%
Pint £5.20

Guinness Zero
Stout | 0.0%
Pint £5.20

Angry Orchard
Cider | 5.0%
Pint £5.70

Should this not be in the WTF thread?

here in Brum my local £3.60 for lager (carling) £3.80 for pretty decent Guinness (for England).

JoG2

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on October 13, 2021, 02:58:16 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 13, 2021, 02:54:01 PM
£5.20 for a Rockshore light, my god. A few of us now have wee rooms / spaces for a night's supping the odd weekend. Half a dozen men, some music and a box of beer for £12.
Local builders are up to their ears renovating home bars and spaces for folk.
The £5.20 for the Guinness Zero caught my attention.... :-\

A dear hit!

gawa316

$6.50 here in California and that's at a local brewery. Happy hours are a godsend though, we're your are paying $4-$5. There's a Mexican place just down the road and you can get a 20oz modelo for $4.75

toby47

Quote from: maddog on October 13, 2021, 03:02:30 PM
Quote from: toby47 on October 13, 2021, 11:52:04 AM

Guinness
Stout | 4.2%
Pint £5.20

Harp
Lager | 4.0%
Pint £5.20

Carlsberg
Lager | 3.8%
Pint £5.20

Rockshore
Lager | 4.0%
Pint £5.20

Heverlee
Lager | 4.8%
Pint £5.70

Peroni
Lager | 5.1%
Pint £6.00

Hop House 13
Lager | 4.1%
Pint £5.20

Smithwicks
Red Ale | 4.5%
Pint £5.20

Rockshore Light
Light Lager | 3.5%
Pint £5.20

Guinness Zero
Stout | 0.0%
Pint £5.20

Angry Orchard
Cider | 5.0%
Pint £5.70

Should this not be in the WTF thread?

here in Brum my local £3.60 for lager (carling) £3.80 for pretty decent Guinness (for England).

The Scary thing is the above isn't the worst prices. Many on down in the city are slightly more expensive

screenexile

Crazy stuff going for a night out in Belfast is it really worth it??

Is it really a surprise young people are turning to the much cheaper and more dangerous buzz?!

armaghniac

Quote from: screenexile on October 13, 2021, 09:06:24 PM

Is it really a surprise young people are turning to the much cheaper and more dangerous buzz?!

we need a United Ireland for more reasonable prices.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 13, 2021, 09:17:27 PM

Just stay out of the centre of town pint local, they'll get the hint
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

red hander

Rarely drink in city centre now. Was in Mulligans on Saturday to watch Ireland game and then Hercules, both places were under fiver for pint. Looking forward to £3.50 pints of excellent Guinness at Solitude this Saturday. I got myself a Phillips Perfect Draft machine during lockdown and it's best thing I've ever bought. Top quality German and Belgian kegged beer at my fingertips, why line the pockets of those rip off bastards.

Silver hill

Any truth that a pint of Tennents in the Harbour Bar in portrush was £7+ over the Summer?
If true, one more good reason to avoid that town

toby47

Another few

Lavery's

GUINNESS £5.10
HARP £5.10
CARLSBERG £5.10
ROCKSHORE £5.10
HOP HOUSE 13 £5.10
ROCKSHORE LIGHT £5.10
SMITHWICKS £5.10

Northern Lights - Ormeau Road

Pints range from £4.50-£6.00

The Perch Rooftop bar

Cobra .......................................£5.20
Pravha .......................................£5.20
Staropramen ..............................£5.20
Punk IPA ...................................£5.40
Coors .......................................£5.20
Chieftain IPA .............................£5.20
Rebel Red .................................£5.20
Guinness ..................................£5.30
Orchard Theives ........................£5.20
Blue Moon ................................£5.40

Fibber Magees

Harp £5.20
Carlsberg £5.20
Rockshore Irish Lager £5.35
Guinness £5.40
Smithwicks £5.20
Hop House 13 £5.35
Coors Light £5.35
Pravha £5.35
Tennents £5.20
Clonmel £5.20
Heverlee £5.35

The Felons

Pints - £3.50

The Rock Bar

Happy Hour 4pm-7pm on a Monday all pints £3

The Grand Central Hotel

Bottle Beer (330ml)
Estrella Damm £7
Menabrea £7
Corona £7
Peroni £7

Draught (Pint)
Inedit Damm £10
Observatory Pale Ale £10

Nancy Mulligans - Castle Street

Pints - £3.90 (My guess would be cheapest in city centre)

themac_23

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 13, 2021, 09:18:24 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 13, 2021, 09:17:27 PM

Just stay out of the centre of town pint local, they'll get the hint

This is it, ive had a big change the last few years, me and my mates would always have went into town for a few pints on a sat night at least twice a week, usually go somewhere like the Garrick to watch the late kick off then round the cathedral quarter. but its getting too much, 5 or 6 of us and you're talking over £30 for a round, now with the more subdued atmosphere in bars and the hassle of getting home its really not appealing at all.

Our local club is £3.70 a pint and the pints are top drawer, £3.20 a pint if you use your membership card. Always live sport on, Juke box going and great craic. the bar never used to be overly busy at the weekends, usually older lads in for pints but since Covid its been really busy with people clearly fed up with the town.