America`s Gun Culture

Started by Wildweasel74, December 14, 2012, 06:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on February 15, 2018, 11:11:16 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2018, 10:04:49 AM
They are facilitating murder by their refusal to accept sensible gun controls.

You could write the same stuff about the security forces in NI including the RUC during the troubles. The law was on their side, good people, pay their taxes.....part of a murder machine.

What are sensible gun controls?

How do you get the guns out of the hands of drug dealers, gang members and other destructive people with said sensible gun controls?

Until you can have an answer to my second question, you will never ever have a chance of removing guns from the citizenry.

Let the police do that, and stop making it easier for them to just replace the fecking things. you're not going to remove guns entirely, and the criminal element will always have them (look at Ireland FFS) but you can make it more difficult for them, and you can stop selling automatic weapons and assault rifles to Joe Blogs off the street. I cannot fathom how anyone can justify owning or being allowed own weapons which are more suited to a battle ready unit of the US Army. Hunting can be done with manual reload rifles, no bother, or shotguns. You don't need a handgun to shoot elk, nor do you need to cut them in half with an automatic set on full. It's batshit stuff.

thewobbler

Here's a start: make it impossible / 20 year jail term to sell ammunition for any handgun, semi-automatic or automatic weapon, at more than a cartridge per registered gun owner per year. Note, not per gun, per gun owner. Only way to get a "refill" during the year would be with a police verified "firearm discharged lawfully" slip.

Protects the right to bear arms, and retains control for those worried about personal security. Won't prevent gun deaths.... but willl go a long way towards preventing ammunition stockpiling, and make it much more difficult for loosely wired people to build up the arsenal to go on a rampage.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on February 15, 2018, 11:11:16 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2018, 10:04:49 AM
They are facilitating murder by their refusal to accept sensible gun controls.

You could write the same stuff about the security forces in NI including the RUC during the troubles. The law was on their side, good people, pay their taxes.....part of a murder machine.

What are sensible gun controls?

How do you get the guns out of the hands of drug dealers, gang members and other destructive people with said sensible gun controls?

Until you can have an answer to my second question, you will never ever have a chance of removing guns from the citizenry.

If a maniac with a gun is intent on killing people he's not going to be stopped by more guns. That is clear. It's a bullshit argument that has been repeatedly disproven. As is the one that the original intention of guys over 250 years ago must be upheld today. Pure imbecilic stuff.

On sensible gun controls: I've no issue with guys having weapons for hunting provided it is regulated and controlled. For example, there's no need to have a hunting rifle in a suburban house. Keep it at a facility near where they go hunting, like a gun bank or something. No one needs an assault rifle. No one needs a hand gun.

Once the rules are defined there should be an amnesty for people to hand weapons in.

Then after the amnesty period it's a mandatory 30 years in jail for possession of illegally held weapons. No exceptions. I'd pour resources into policing or military if necessary so they could stop and search or just arrive and search. Build special prisons if necessary. It will save thousands of lives. If people are too stupid to change then have 30 years to think about it. At least they wouldn't be dead like those poor kids.

Don't bother telling me "it'll never happen" by the way. I couldn't be arsed with pro gun arguments. All complete shite.

The Iceman

Seanie has your home ever been broken in to? While you were there? My good friends at home were woken at gun point in Amagh, tied up in the kitchen while the house was ransacked. That was about 15 years ago...... There have been similar events on a weekly basis all over ireland.
No come to america. It happens all the time here. If someone comes in to your house and your daughters and your wife are there and they have intent to do harm, to take a child..... I don't know how you can just blanket bomb these situations with - nobody needs a handgun.  I hope I never do. But I'm glad I have one in case I ever do...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

screenexile

Quote from: The Iceman on February 15, 2018, 05:12:30 PM
Seanie has your home ever been broken in to? While you were there? My good friends at home were woken at gun point in Amagh, tied up in the kitchen while the house was ransacked. That was about 15 years ago...... There have been similar events on a weekly basis all over ireland.
No come to america. It happens all the time here. If someone comes in to your house and your daughters and your wife are there and they have intent to do harm, to take a child..... I don't know how you can just blanket bomb these situations with - nobody needs a handgun.  I hope I never do. But I'm glad I have one in case I ever do...

OK well that is a pretty massive exaggeration!!! Weekly??

Come on now iceman

The Iceman

theres not a weekly robbery in ireland? theres easily once a month in armagh county? I follow Armagh I on bookface and its constant robbery, home invasions, cars taken at gunpoint.... surely building that out by 32 counties would get to a weekly stat? I may and could be wrong but I don't think I'm reaching too far here....
so take the situation in america  - is it weekly or daily here? would you want a gun to protect your family given the current climate here? We are seriously considering shipping out. But until we do I will have the glock in a safe beside the bed
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Wildweasel74

Theres something very wrong with the basic mentality of americans, school shootings on a grand scale unlike anywhere else in the world yet bought off corrupt upper class senators and  governors do nothing@ where else in the world does this happen on a regular basis? Ah America the greatest country in the world as they say, until you look through the cracks!@

easytiger95

All crime stats in America point to a dizzying decline in murder and serious crime in the past two decades (there was slight bump in murder rate last year, but it was very small).

Just to understand this - Iceman, you say that home invasions and gum crimes are happening every week in Ireland. And extrapolating from that, they are happening more often in the US. But at least in the US you have a Glock to prevent it?

There is a reason that the NRA have taken the path they did - 90s America, which was economically stable, generally stable and socially progressive, would lead to a society with falling crime - thus hurting their bottom line. So the gun companies pumped money into what was, essentially, a sporting organisation, and changed it into a lobbying and political group. Because if there was no real need for guns, then two things would have to happen - a need would have to be created, and in response to this need, guns would not only become popular they would become ubiquitous.

So, with every year of falling crime, more fake outrage over "tyrannical governments" was created, more racist memes about "super predators" etc, more guns were sold, more regulations stripped away - and with the end of the assault weapon ban, mass shootings began to become more frequent, and with far more potential for casualties.

But that works for the gun companies as well, because each time there is a mass shooting, gun sales increase, because people are afraid that the government will regulate gun sales.

So you are left with the situation, where nearly half the world's handguns are available in one country, where there have been 18 school shootings this year alone, but nothing can be done about it, lest it impinge the rights of law abiding and God fearing citizens like Iceman, to have a glock beside their bed, in anticipation of a home invasion, which statistically speaking, will never come. And for gun company execs to get a great stock buyback option each year.

screenexile

Quote from: The Iceman on February 15, 2018, 06:12:00 PM
theres not a weekly robbery in ireland? theres easily once a month in armagh county? I follow Armagh I on bookface and its constant robbery, home invasions, cars taken at gunpoint.... surely building that out by 32 counties would get to a weekly stat? I may and could be wrong but I don't think I'm reaching too far here....
so take the situation in america  - is it weekly or daily here? would you want a gun to protect your family given the current climate here? We are seriously considering shipping out. But until we do I will have the glock in a safe beside the bed

People held at gun point in the North is not a weekly occurrence. I live here read the papers and watch the news it's not that regular!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on February 15, 2018, 08:23:05 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 15, 2018, 06:12:00 PM

People held at gun point in the North is not a weekly occurrence. I live here read the papers and watch the news it's not that regular!!

I'm starting to think Iceman is just someone's idea of what a stereotypical American neocon would say. Otherwise he's spent too long in the States and he's lost all perspective.

magpie seanie

If you're woken up at gunpoint your own weapon isn't worth a f**k to you then is it? Obviously sympathies to anyone who faces that ordeal but unless you take your gun out of it's safe storage box and shoot someone in the dark it's bugger all use to you really.

And you're saying that this happens more often in the US....it's as if greater gun ownership isn't a deterrent or something???!!!!

Complete nonsense my friend. Don't let the boogeyman stories infect your thought process.

Hardy

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2018, 09:51:07 PM

If you're woken up at gunpoint your own weapon isn't worth a f**k to you then is it? Obviously sympathies to anyone who faces that ordeal but unless you take your gun out of it's safe storage box and shoot someone in the dark it's bugger all use to you really.

And you're saying that this happens more often in the US....it's as if greater gun ownership isn't a deterrent or something???!!!!

Complete nonsense my friend. Don't let the boogeyman stories infect your thought process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0&t=2m53s

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2018, 09:57:26 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on February 15, 2018, 09:51:07 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rR9IaXH1M0&t=2m53s

Excellent. About sums up the stupidity of it.

Minder

Cant be arsed reading this thread but if gun reform didn't happen after Sandy Hook, it never will
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

Jim Jeffries nailed it.

Interesting to see how this social media nra donation campign works out...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity