FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 07, 2018, 02:38:42 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 07, 2018, 02:11:28 PM
Should it not work out for the kid, they can chose to declare for the IFA.  Whisky nose Michael is not even au fait with the statutes on player eligibility.

According to Article 8.1 a player can only request once to change nationality.

Presuming a player has gone through Northern Ireland schoolboy system, he will have request to change to ROI.  Then that is it.  "should it not work out for the kid" he cannot go back.  I understand from O'Neill articles this has happened to players.

With your knowledge of the statues and the history of the eligibility rules can you confirm if this is the case or not?

As an aside why do you continually make the snide references to the man's relationship with alcohol?

/Jim.

Cos he's a well-known serial piss artist... why would you want to listen to the ramblings of a drunkard?

michaelg

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on March 07, 2018, 12:04:23 PM
Players will look after themselves.  I'm pretty sure that if Niall McGinn was asked to represent ROI he would have jumped at the chance. He wasn't so to play international football he plays for NI and has marked the big stage by scoring at the last European Championships.  He has came out and said that he is a ROI fan.

If the IFA addressed some of the issues that still exist and that created a more welcoming environment for Catholics/Nationalists then I feel in time the want to represent ROI will deteriorate.   

those Issues are (I'm aware they have made progress in a lot of these areas but they still exist, some to a lesser extent):

Anthem
Flag
Supporter Chants/Flags
NI Supporters Clubs/Pubs (Wouldn't feel safe going there for a pint)

I for one would like an NI sports anthems used for matches Danny Boy would be my choice).  Hopefully this wil come in time.

What supporter chants / flags are an issue?  The stadium is full of folk wearing green and white, with very few NI flags or Union Jacks on display.

Although I can understand catholic players and fans not being in favour of GSTQ at WP, how come there is not the same contention in relation to Ulster Protestants either playing or attending Ireland rugby matches at the Aviva?  When I attend Ireland games in Dublin, I stand respectfully during the Soldier's Song.  It's not a big deal.

Finally, I know of 1 NI Supporters' Club Bar on the Shankill.  I'm not sure I would be that keen on drinking on any bar on the Shankill Road myself, so don't see this as a big issue.

seafoid

Quote from: michaelg on March 07, 2018, 07:07:43 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on March 07, 2018, 12:04:23 PM
Players will look after themselves.  I'm pretty sure that if Niall McGinn was asked to represent ROI he would have jumped at the chance. He wasn't so to play international football he plays for NI and has marked the big stage by scoring at the last European Championships.  He has came out and said that he is a ROI fan.

If the IFA addressed some of the issues that still exist and that created a more welcoming environment for Catholics/Nationalists then I feel in time the want to represent ROI will deteriorate.   

those Issues are (I'm aware they have made progress in a lot of these areas but they still exist, some to a lesser extent):

Anthem
Flag
Supporter Chants/Flags
NI Supporters Clubs/Pubs (Wouldn't feel safe going there for a pint)

I for one would like an NI sports anthems used for matches Danny Boy would be my choice).  Hopefully this wil come in time.

What supporter chants / flags are an issue?  The stadium is full of folk wearing green and white, with very few NI flags or Union Jacks on display.

Although I can understand catholic players and fans not being in favour of GSTQ at WP, how come there is not the same contention in relation to Ulster Protestants either playing or attending Ireland rugby matches at the Aviva?  When I attend Ireland games in Dublin, I stand respectfully during the Soldier's Song.  It's not a big deal.

Finally, I know of 1 NI Supporters' Club Bar on the Shankill.  I'm not sure I would be that keen on drinking on any bar on the Shankill Road myself, so don't see this as a big issue.
I think it's cos rugby is a middle class sport and punters are less sensitive about the politics. Soccer is more working class so there is more sensitivity..
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Watcher

The Billy Boys had the opportunity a few years back to move away from WP to a more open and welcoming environment for all.  They did not want to and are happy playing at Castle Greyskull.  Decisions like this are why Catholics don't want to play for them.

michaelg

Quote from: An Watcher on March 07, 2018, 07:47:44 PM
The Billy Boys had the opportunity a few years back to move away from WP to a more open and welcoming environment for all.  They did not want to and are happy playing at Castle Greyskull.  Decisions like this are why Catholics don't want to play for them.
A typically balanced post.  Maze Stadium would have been a white elephant.  Have you a got a playground name for Ravenhill too given Ulster Rugby were not in favour of a move to the Mae either?

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on March 07, 2018, 07:54:09 PM
A typically balanced post.  Maze Stadium would have been a white elephant.  Have you a got a playground name for Ravenhill too given Ulster Rugby were not in favour of a move to the Mae either?

The main reason for the Are We A Country fraternity being opposed was because the bigots didn't want to share a stadium with the GAA

ONEDerry

Croppy boy Michael would better keeping his mouth shut. It's simple Mickey. Irish people do not want to play for the made up country except for those who doff the cap and put any sense of their Irishness to one side while they stand to GSTQ in Windsor. O'Neill and others have never stood up and challenged the status quo yet questions why Irish people want to play for their country.

michaelg

Quote from: red hander on March 07, 2018, 08:44:56 PM

The main reason for the Are We A Country fraternity being opposed was because the bigots didn't want to share a stadium with the GAA
You're wrong.  The reasons for opposition to the Maze site were a) The size of the playing surface and the proposed capacity and the impact this would have on atmosphere at matches was the first main reason b)  Poor transport  links, distance from Belfast and the lack of bars etc in the vicinity was the other main reason for opposition to the Maze.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: ONEDerry on March 07, 2018, 08:59:37 PM
Croppy boy Michael would better keeping his mouth shut. It's simple Mickey. Irish people do not want to play for the made up country except for those who doff the cap and put any sense of their Irishness to one side while they stand to GSTQ in Windsor. O'Neill and others have never stood up and challenged the status quo yet questions why Irish people want to play for their country.

f**k me but if you are going to rant like that you should at least read what he said.

/Jim.

ONEDerry

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on March 07, 2018, 09:04:56 PM
Quote from: ONEDerry on March 07, 2018, 08:59:37 PM

f**k me but if you are going to rant like that you should at least read what he said.

/Jim.

I know what he has said now and in the past. He has and continues to be a croppy boy questioning the reasons why people want to play for Ireland an not his 6 county, illegitimate statelet just to keep his bosses happy. Any nationalist who plays for or goes anywhere near that Sh1t hole should be ashamed of themselves.

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on March 07, 2018, 09:01:43 PM

You're wrong.  The reasons for opposition to the Maze site were a) The size of the playing surface and the proposed capacity and the impact this would have on atmosphere at matches was the first main reason b)  Poor transport  links, distance from Belfast and the lack of bars etc in the vicinity was the other main reason for opposition to the Maze.

I rest my case... and they accuse republicans of rewriting history  ::)

michaelg

Quote from: red hander on March 07, 2018, 09:42:35 PM

How you reach that conclusion?
When NI team is not going well, attendances can fall away. 8 - 10,000 fans rattling about a 40,000 seater stadium in the middle of nowhere in a stand miles from the pitch would have been shite!  That was the reason for opposition. I have been watching NI for decades, so am better placed to comment on this than you.

An Watcher

Hahaha they didn't want to move because of the size of the pitch, Hahaha, that's a cracker,

michaelg

Quote from: An Watcher on March 07, 2018, 10:13:29 PM
Hahaha they didn't want to move because of the size of the pitch, Hahaha, that's a cracker,
You do know a "soccer" pitch is smaller?

red hander

Quote from: michaelg on March 07, 2018, 09:52:48 PM
Quote from: red hander on March 07, 2018, 09:42:35 PM

How you reach that conclusion?
When NI team is not going well, attendances can fall away. 8 - 10,000 fans rattling about a 40,000 seater stadium in the middle of nowhere in a stand miles from the pitch would have been shite!  That was the reason for opposition. I have been watching NI for decades, so am better placed to comment on this than you.

What do you want, a wee medal? The bigots came out against sharing the stadium, has your memory gone? You're being fallacious. A GAA pitch isn't that much bigger than the maximum allowed for a soccer pitch, so this crap about being too far away from the pitch is ballix. WTF was Wembley like before its redevelopment. There's any amount of stadia with a track around them. Rubbish excuses to cover the truth