Limerick becoming Ireland's second sporting city?

Started by David McKeown, March 02, 2009, 03:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Not criticising it but I see the Ireland v Australia soccer match is going to be played at Thomond Park in August.  This is after the city was selected to hold the first international rules test of the year.   Must be a great boost for the economy in the area following the redevelopment of the grounds, just wondering though will Limerick continue to get international games or will these be a one off to mark the redevelopment?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Hound

Quote from: David McKeown on March 02, 2009, 03:22:43 PM
Not criticising it but I see the Ireland v Australia soccer match is going to be played at Thomond Park in August.  This is after the city was selected to hold the first international rules test of the year.   Must be a great boost for the economy in the area following the redevelopment of the grounds, just wondering though will Limerick continue to get international games or will these be a one off to mark the redevelopment?
They might squeez another one in before Lansdowne opens, but once it does that'll be it.

David McKeown

Quote from: Hound on March 02, 2009, 04:26:23 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 02, 2009, 03:22:43 PM
They might squeez another one in before Lansdowne opens, but once it does that'll be it.

Will that be the same for the IRFU and FAI?  Might we possibly see league finals or all semi finals in Limerick in the near future?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

stiffler

Pity plans didnt go ahead for the stadium at long kesh.

A 30,000 seater stadium would be easily fillled for an International game of this stature.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009