FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: michaelg on August 26, 2020, 03:18:03 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on August 26, 2020, 02:14:18 PM
Quote from: michaelg on August 25, 2020, 10:05:01 PM
To be fair, I think he went to Euros to gain experience / help with training and small sided games etc.  He was in 3 senior squads though and would have been tied to NI if he played even a couple of mins.

The question in my mind is what would he have done if Michael O'Neill called him to go on as a substitute in one of those qualifiers?

For someone whose underage caps were a product out of compulsion/necessity and whose ultimate aim was to play for the Republic, it was a precarious position to put himself into.

/Jim.
If he took his place in the squad I would be fairly certain that he would have gone on the pitch.

Absolutely.  Which colours my view when I hear tale of the absolute desire (even need) of these players to head South

/Jim.

lurganblue

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on August 26, 2020, 03:03:22 PM
To be fair, I think he went to Euros to gain experience / help with training and small sided games etc.  He was in 3 senior squads though and would have been tied to NI if he played even a couple of mins.

The question in my mind is what would he have done if Michael O'Neill called him to go on as a substitute in one of those qualifiers?

For someone whose underage caps were a product out of compulsion/necessity and whose ultimate aim was to play for the Republic, it was a precarious position to put himself into.

/Jim.

Rice and Grealish were the same. If only Martin o Neil brought them on when 6-0 up against Gibraltar or something might have saved a lot of nonsense

I bet even Grealish wishes that would have happened

BennyCake

/Jim.

Rice and Grealish were the same. If only Martin o Neil brought them on when 6-0 up against Gibraltar or something might have saved a lot of nonsense

I'm glad he didnt.

When they declared for England, it showed where their loyalties really lay.

They'll get their half dozen caps for England, then drift off into obscurity, never to be seen again on the international stage.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: David McKeown on August 26, 2020, 01:43:42 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on August 26, 2020, 12:06:52 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 26, 2020, 10:33:10 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 25, 2020, 11:55:17 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on August 25, 2020, 10:32:04 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 25, 2020, 10:21:14 PM
Once a player gets to say 20/21, they should have to decide one way or the other and that's it. It'd save a lot of messing
Different players develop at different paces and ages, putting a deadline on it would be wrong. There also isn't any "messing", as you're free to choose your allegiance up until you play a senior competitive fixture, as has happened in this case. There is no problem. The only uproar is from bitter NI fans.

That's my point, I think that rule should be changed; I understand that at younger ages a player is happy to get any call up but I think the limit should be set at 20/21. Doesn't matter what pace you develop at, you should be pretty clear on where your allegiances lie by the time you're 20/21

That would make the disgraceful agreement between the IFA and FAI even more abhorrent

What agreement?

There's an agreement in place between the associations that the FAI will not select players born in Northern Ireland for youth teams unless they also qualify by some other means eg that they are living in the Republic. It came about after the IFA took a player to court to stop him playing for his country. So by and large the choice for aspiring footballers in the North is play for Northern Ireland or don't play underage international football even though you are eligible to Play for what is (if you so decided) to and may feel is your country.

What? That's nuts, who told you that?

What player? What court?

Hound

Quote from: BennyCake on August 26, 2020, 04:36:46 PM

/Jim.

I'm glad he didnt.

When they declared for England, it showed where their loyalties really lay.

They'll get their half dozen caps for England, then drift off into obscurity, never to be seen again on the international stage.
Rice will get at least 30 caps, Grealish might get feck all, although a move to a big club would change that.
They were young and got their heads turned by agents saying playing with England will ensure bigger club contracts and higher likelihood of big transfers. We don't have the full story but it seems like MON could easily have locked in Rice and Roy gets some blame for supposedly insulting Grealish's father during the conversations.
If they were playing regularly for Ireland, they'd be our two best players, Rice would be our next captain and they'd likely have higher profiles.
And they'd be trying every bit as hard in a green jersey as they would in a white one.
But spilt milk and all that, we have to move on.
Sure if Jim Stynes had stayed in Dublin, we'd have done the five in a row from 92-96, but you have to make the best of what you have 😜

Billys Boots

Rice warmed up in the qualifier against Moldova with 15 mins left (and 2-0 up), but wasn't brought on.  It was that close.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

caprea

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 27, 2020, 09:16:41 AM
Rice warmed up in the qualifier against Moldova with 15 mins left (and 2-0 up), but wasn't brought on.  It was that close.

He wasn't even in the squad you mad eejit.

Billys Boots

Quote from: caprea on August 27, 2020, 09:23:52 AM

Sorry, I'm raving ...
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Main Street

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 27, 2020, 12:52:39 PM
Quote from: caprea on August 27, 2020, 09:23:52 AM

Sorry, I'm raving ...

I'll rave that Rice has been capped competively for England at least 4 times including a game against Moldova.

Capt Pat

Adam Idah starts up front for Ireland against Bulgaria in the nations league tonight. Connolly starts as well.

macdanger2

Quote from: Capt Pat on September 03, 2020, 07:09:45 PM
Adam Idah starts up front for Ireland against Bulgaria in the nations league tonight. Connolly starts as well.

Big call on the front three, esp when Obafemi is left sitting at home. Hopefully we'll make a good start to the Kenny era

Hound

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 03, 2020, 07:28:12 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on September 03, 2020, 07:09:45 PM

Big call on the front three, esp when Obafemi is left sitting at home. Hopefully we'll make a good start to the Kenny era
Didn't someone else even get called up when a forward replacement was required? Sean Maguire I think. Oba's tweet was not a good idea.

I think the front 3 are ahead of him anyway, albeit very marginally and lots can change, and I haven't seen enough of them to say that with conviction.

Happy to see Doherty get a start. Coleman has been super but Doherty is surely ahead of him now.

The midfield trio are quality players, but they can all be shite on their day too. Hope they do the job.

weareros

Lucky not to have got caught on the break there a few times. Need at least one taller striker up front.