The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 10, 2017, 02:23:32 PM
Is that ongoing J70? I thought that was a July 4th thing.

They should have 'Piss' written on them.

dec

Mike Ditka on the anthem protests

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20981484/mike-ditka-claims-no-oppression-last-100-years

"All of a sudden, it's become a big deal now, about oppression," Ditka said. "There has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of. Now maybe I'm not watching it as carefully as other people."

That's a special kind of dumb right there.

seafoid

The NYT is very interesting these days.
David Brooks had a super article on Saturday.

"The US needs "some sort of synthesis on the larger postindustrial/populism war. Over a century ago industrialisation brought on culture clash between agrarian populist and the genteel Victoria aristocrats.  Théodore Roosevelt transcended the fight by inventing a new kind of American nationalism. Meanwhile the progressives cleaned up elite corruption and nurtured a square deal for those left behind by technological change. Cultural leaders introduced new institutions and community forms like the Boy Scouts and the settlement house that drew from both cuktures replaced them.  Today we need another grand synthesis that can move us beyond the current divide, a synthesis that is neither redneck nor hipster nut draws from both worlds to create a new social vision progress on guns will be possible when the culture war subsides, not before. "

The UK needs the same to overcome leave/remain
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

whitey

Quote from: Zulu on October 10, 2017, 06:29:32 PM
Nothing to do with the men and women who serve but I don't get thanking them for their service. They are not protecting any American's freedom, if that's even under threat and you want to thank someone then thank their nuclear arsenal, while they have that they won't be invaded by any force on this planet!

It's been a long time since America faced anyone on an equal footing and as far as I can see their military has brought a lot of unnecessary death and destruction to many innocent people for little more than maintaining their geo-political power. World geo-politics isn't a simple situation and many poor people are forced to join the US army due to limited alternatives but while I wouldn't disrespect them I can't see why you'd feel the need to thank them.

I dont know if you live here or not, so you may have a different perspective if you dont.

From my recollection the whole "thanks for your service" crack started after 9/11.....I think it was probably started by Fox News.

When you say you dont get it....do you mean you dont get it why Americans do it?

First of all pretty much everyone knows someone who either was in, or is in the armed forces.

Most would know well or be related to someone who fought or is fighting in Iraq or Afghanistan.

They would know or be related to someone someone who was either injured or killed in Iraq or Afghanistan.

They would have an immediate family member.....dad, grandad, uncle grand uncle who fought in WWII, Korea or Vietnam. 

The military has a much more prominent place in the everyday lives of Americans than the Irish Army or British Army would have in their respective societies

You are (possibly) viewing the whole "thanks for your service" craic through a different lens than everyday folks in the States

In the same way there

Gmac

Quote from: seafoid on October 10, 2017, 08:36:22 PM

"The US needs "some sort of synthesis on the larger postindustrial/populism war. Over a century ago industrialisation brought on culture clash between agrarian populist and the genteel Victoria aristocrats.  Théodore Roosevelt transcended the fight by inventing a new kind of American nationalism. Meanwhile the progressives cleaned up elite corruption and nurtured a square deal for those left behind by technological change. Cultural leaders introduced new institutions and community forms like the Boy Scouts and the settlement house that drew from both cuktures replaced them.  Today we need another grand synthesis that can move us beyond the current divide, a synthesis that is neither redneck nor hipster nut draws from both worlds to create a new social vision progress on guns will be possible when the culture war subsides, not before. "

project veritas have some new videos coming out tonight about the nyt and its links to antifa.
Also the elites in Hollywood have a lot to answer for keeping Harvey Weinstein shielded for thirty years
Rotten to the core

stew

I see the Hollywood elite are being very coy about Harveygate! No surprise there then,  Ben Affleck has been called a liar when he tried to slither away as has his brother Casey, a known harasser of women.

Clinton is scampering like te rodent she is, she waited five days to see if it would die down ad when it did not the champion of women finally flapped her gums and is 'appalled '  at her campaign contributor and friend.

Hollywood is full of liberal elitist scum, they are reviled in many parts of the USA and for good reason, I hope these women get justice and that this blows the lid off that world and that republican and democrat offenders alike get outed, charged and if guilty do time.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

J70

Quote from: dec on October 10, 2017, 08:06:29 PM
Mike Ditka on the anthem protests

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20981484/mike-ditka-claims-no-oppression-last-100-years

"All of a sudden, it's become a big deal now, about oppression," Ditka said. "There has been no oppression in the last 100 years that I know of. Now maybe I'm not watching it as carefully as other people."

That's a special kind of dumb right there.

Yep, Ditka is not known for his intelligent, thoughtful or informed political views.

Not sure he as dumb as the embarrassingly stupid Curt Schilling, but that's not saying much!

J70

Quote from: Gmac on October 11, 2017, 12:12:06 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 10, 2017, 08:36:22 PM

project veritas have some new videos coming out tonight about the nyt and its links to antifa.
Also the elites in Hollywood have a lot to answer for keeping Harvey Weinstein shielded for thirty years
Rotten to the core

Oh great, O'Keefe again.

What "bombshell" will drop this time? ;D

And yeah, "elites" all over cover for each other. It's about power and lawyers. Whether it's Hollywood or Fox News. Or the NY DA not pursuing powerful people whether it's Weinstein or Trump's kids falsely inflated property values and sales to attract buyers.

heganboy

For all your chat about Hollywood elitist scum, have you noticed
the president is a failed businessman that made his Money as an actor and producer of shite reality TV, making him Hollywood elitist scum who has admitted assaulting women on TV and been accused of rape by his then wife. 

What's good for the goose. Oh and Weinstein is a predator who makes movies. Agent orange is a predator in charge of the nuclear arsenal...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: stew on October 11, 2017, 08:54:45 AM
I see the Hollywood elite are being very coy about Harveygate! No surprise there then,  Ben Affleck has been called a liar when he tried to slither away as has his brother Casey, a known harasser of women.

Clinton is scampering like te rodent she is, she waited five days to see if it would die down ad when it did not the champion of women finally flapped her gums and is 'appalled '  at her campaign contributor and friend.

Hollywood is full of liberal elitist scum, they are reviled in many parts of the USA and for good reason, I hope these women get justice and that this blows the lid off that world and that republican and democrat offenders alike get outed, charged and if guilty do time.

Are you talking about Weinstein or Trump?

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 10, 2017, 07:38:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 10, 2017, 02:23:32 PM
Is that ongoing J70? I thought that was a July 4th thing.

They should have 'Piss' written on them.

Didn't that whole "America in a can of Bud" thing start when some non-American country bought Budweiser?

HiMucker

Quote from: heganboy on October 11, 2017, 12:05:33 PM
For all your chat about Hollywood elitist scum, have you noticed
the president is a failed businessman that made his Money as an actor and producer of shite reality TV, making him Hollywood elitist scum who has admitted assaulting women on TV and been accused of rape by his then wife. 

What's good for the goose. Oh and Weinstein is a predator who makes movies. Agent orange is a predator in charge of the nuclear arsenal...
You can label Trump many things, he is a despicable human being, but a "failed businessman", is not one of them. 

J70

Just one who uses fraud and bankruptcy and refusing to pay his vendors (usually small businesses without the resources to fight back) as "tools".

stew

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on October 11, 2017, 01:12:39 PM
Quote from: stew on October 11, 2017, 08:54:45 AM

Are you talking about Weinstein or Trump?

Nice deflection but since you mention it, both!

There are no allegations at present against Trump, the left tried to get him a few years ago bought a ;lady they focused on said he was a gentleman, that said, I would not be surprised if he gets turned over for the same shit, based on his personality and attitude toward women,
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

foxcommander

Of course nobody had a clue.
BFF's

Quick. Mention something about Donald Trump to shift the focus

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie