Standard of Refs

Started by guevara, July 01, 2023, 07:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: restorepride on July 03, 2023, 11:36:52 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 03, 2023, 12:08:53 AM
There is a question about consistency. Yesterday, in the Armagh-Monaghan game at the throw in Lane made the players stand together. Today, in the Derry-Cork game, Glass was 2-3m from the centre line and McQuillan had no problem with that. Not the most important thing, but why the difference?
In Armagh game, Lane tried to do that (for some reason!)  - didn't succeed!  Trying to assert his authority, I feel.  He had a good game overall though.

I'm sorry, we could stand for hours waiting on everyone to stay in position, it doesn't happen as everyone crowds in, just throw it up and get on with it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Itchy

Quote from: Itchy on July 01, 2023, 09:51:21 PM
If I were a ref in Croke Park, for a big call if go having fake chats with umpires and lineman but I'd sneak a look at the replay on the big screen to see the craic. If Lol lane did that he'd have saw it wasn't black and barely a foul.

Glad to see Sean Hurson take my idea on board today.

restorepride

Quote from: Itchy on July 15, 2023, 10:45:13 PM
If I were a ref in Croke Park, for a big call if go having fake chats with umpires and lineman but I'd sneak a look at the replay on the big screen to see the craic. If Lol lane did that he'd have saw it wasn't black and barely a foul.

As if there is never anyone in his ear like!  Keep up ffs!!!

Itchy

Quote from: restorepride on July 15, 2023, 10:47:11 PM

As if there is never anyone in his ear like!  Keep up ffs!!!

I'm trying to keep up but you'll have to try about harder to explain what you are saying.

restorepride

Referees are informed through the earpiece, same as umpires who don't really make the call re Hawkeye.  Earpiece tells them, if required. 

Itchy

Quote from: restorepride on July 15, 2023, 11:22:02 PM
Referees are informed through the earpiece, same as umpires who don't really make the call re Hawkeye.  Earpiece tells them, if required.

Did you watch the game today? A 45 was awarded incorrectly to Dublin by umpire, ref gave it. Big screen showed replay and crowd booed, ref over turned it. If some official had of microphoned to him he wouldn't have awarded it in the 1st place and anyway there was no way anyone else could've seen it. Ref got it right by an official version of VAR.

marty34

[/quote

Good call Itchy.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on July 15, 2023, 11:25:22 PM

Did you watch the game today? A 45 was awarded incorrectly to Dublin by umpire, ref gave it. Big screen showed replay and crowd booed, ref over turned it. If some official had of microphoned to him he wouldn't have awarded it in the 1st place and anyway there was no way anyone else could've seen it. Ref got it right by an official version of VAR.
But lets not give the ref a free pass, he should've call a foul on McCaffrey? who had taken about 12 steps before tossing the ball over the end line.

Itchy

Quote from: Main Street on July 16, 2023, 12:25:08 AM

But lets not give the ref a free pass, he should've call a foul on McCaffrey? who had taken about 12 steps before tossing the ball over the end line.

He made many mistake no doubt but it was one of best referee performances of the year I thought. He got the big calls all correct

Mario

Quote from: Itchy on July 16, 2023, 09:00:10 AM

He made many mistake no doubt but it was one of best referee performances of the year I thought. He got the big calls all correct
Dublin got 2 frees in the first half that were not frees. They got scores from them. Those are massive calls in a game so close. I'm also not convinced o'hanlon lifted that ball off the ground and the whole game swung on that decision.

Itchy

O Hanlon definitely lifted it off the ground. Monaghan lost due to running out of steam with 10 to go while Dublin were bringing on top class players as subs. Tough to take but zero to do with the ref.

straightred

Quote from: Itchy on July 16, 2023, 10:45:30 AM
O Hanlon definitely lifted it off the ground. Monaghan lost due to running out of steam with 10 to go while Dublin were bringing on top class players as subs. Tough to take but zero to do with the ref.
Having just looked at it i think not. He should have put his toe under it to be safe but for me the ball was off the ground. Barely off it but thats all it needs to be

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on July 16, 2023, 09:00:10 AM

He got most of the big calls correct, Mohan's was one of the big calls which he got totally wrong. but it was all the little calls awarding Dublin soft scorable frees, giving the benefit of the doubt to the  dubs  with Monaghan on the attack, those little calls overall (made to both teams) were worth about 4 points to the Dubs.
I don't think Monaghan had enough in any event but it would have been nice to see Dublin put to the pin of their collar right up to the last minute.

bennydorano

Why do refs blow like gobshites all year and then come an AISF you have to 'earn' your frees, it's balls.

Armaghtothebone

We need VAR in big championship games.  Refs get so many calls wrong it's beyond a joke