Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 10, 2022, 03:10:57 PM
Quote from: inroundthesquare on July 10, 2022, 12:45:23 PM
Since 2003
Dublin - 8
Kerry - 5
Tyrone - 4

Cork - 1
Donegal - 1

Can Galway stop another Sam going to the big 3?

Football didn't begin in 2003 ffs

20 year period. Not that unusual really.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

God14

Jog2 did you not see any signs of fatigue yesterday? Very flat second half, despite the fact it was Galway who had a day's less rest after extra time and pens

Are you not at all concerned at the regime Gallagher has had going? As I said before he has done a brilliant job to date, but jesus man, 5 and 6 sessions per week is not sustainable

Tyrone won it last year with 3 per week

Does the quality suffer I wonder, when your out every day? I'm not sure.. Just pondering. Must be excessive financially as well.

nrico2006

Armagh were only doing a few nights a week this year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

Quote from: God14 on July 10, 2022, 04:55:33 PM
Jog2 did you not see any signs of fatigue yesterday? Very flat second half, despite the fact it was Galway who had a day's less rest after extra time and pens

Are you not at all concerned at the regime Gallagher has had going? As I said before he has done a brilliant job to date, but jesus man, 5 and 6 sessions per week is not sustainable

Does the quality suffer I wonder, when your out every day? I'm not sure.. Just pondering. Must be excessive financially as well.
Galway won a lot of turnovers in the second half. They put smacht on Derry. I think those 2 factors were more relevant than fatigue.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tbrick18

In the lead up to the game I thought Derry had the better defence and Galway the better forwards making it a difficult game to predict.
It turns out, the Galway defence was better than Derry too so the won comfortably and deservedly.

Comer took his goals well, but both were the results of mistakes by Derry (Rogers slip for the first, Glass losing the ball for the 2nd), so whilst he had a very good game in terms of winning possession and finishing, I thought Conroy had a better game.

Derry didn't show up yesterday and that's the most disappointing thing. It was our flattest performance this year and our attack just never got going.

I thought mckinless got some harsh treatment early in the game including a shoulder to the chest which he never really recovered from.

Derry should have at least tried a few high balls in given that we had 3/4 in the FF line at times.

I felt sorry for Lynch. I don't think he's comfortable joing the tatack, but he's being sent that way. Not much he could have done for the first goal, and was badly out if position for the 2nd. Kickouts were good, especially in the first half before Galway got to grips with our strategy.

Hawkeye decisions a joke. It was obvious that both the Glass score and the Galway score were points. Galway are granted theirs but not Derry. That's a not on. Once it was passed, they should have have moved on but imo they actually made it worse by rescinding one decision and not the other. All being equal Derry should still have had a 1 point advantage going into the second half. As it happens, it was immaterial to the result but that shouldn't excuse the mistakes and handling of it

I thought the bigger influence on the result was the ref at the start of the 2nd half. 3 soft frees granted to glaway, 2 I thought should have been frees out and the 3rd not even. After. So now rather than Derry being 1 up, we were 3 down and that was game over from there on in as we were chasing it.

Galway adjusted well ta half time and that had a huge bearing on the result.

As disappointing as it was, it's hard not to be happy with the year we've had. We've come out of wilderness to win an Ulster and make a SF. The young players have gained the big game experience and I think management will learn a lot and adapt next year. We may need to add to the management team.
Our minors had a good year, getting knocked out in a SF.
So the future is bright as hopefully more players will filter through.

Good luck to Galway in the final, I think you'll be up against it with Kerry looking like they are clicking. But I genuinely hope they win it.

onefineday

Good summing up tbrick. Galway defence won it yesterday, their attack was almost as dismal as derry's.
The 10 mins either side of half time were the game. Hawkeye ridiculous decision, then those first 3 frees which were totally at odds with his handling of the game in the first half. Agree with you 2 of them I felt were frees out. I think mckinless duped him once in the first half and he figured it out at half time and resolved to not let it happen again.
But looking at the Galway attack, there was nothing there either. No decent long range scores, one reasonably well worked goal, one resulting from Derry pressing when game was over, 3 very soft frees, one flick over after GK mistake on a high ball, (dubious comer point), a 45 and can't recall the rest off the top of my head.
Defence was phenomenal, totally out derryed Derry, but there was no real attacking at pace the way Derry had in Omagh or versus Monaghan. I can't see it being enough to concern Kerry who unlike Derry won't be afraid to have a pop from 45 and out. Hard to see this game being competitive, but I'd really love it to be a decent game and Galway to come out on top.

marty34

Looking at the game today, both Kerry and Dublin attacked with pace.  That was the key difference with the Galway V Derry game. Today's game was played at a flat out pace.  Derry were very slow in attacking.  Only Mc Cluskey and to a  lesser extent Rogers, attacked with any pace.  The rest of the players were very one paced and slow. Pace really creates the gaps and ultimately the shooting chances.

Galway scored 14 pts. I'm sure the Derry management would have been happy with that pre-game. 10 scores.

Derry will be bitterly disappointed with everything after 15 mins. As I said, without goals, they'll not kick 18 points. Not sure how they improve that. Could have had a few more scores in the first half but poor shot selection, bad shooting and trying to createthe goal chances, as in every game. Galway knew to pack the defence, sit in and not concede goals early on. They did that and blew Derry away in the 2nd half. 6 points down after the goal and Gallagher has no Plan B. Even at 3 pts down, he had no Plan B.

As people have mentioned, try a few high balls in on Gleeson in the first 5mins and get Glass in there to hit him a dunt or two - create panic in there. But disappointed that that wasn't done at all during the game.

In a system like that, a lot of players are essentially grafters and workers with limited ability at the business end of the pitch. 4 or 5 lads who work but won't trouble the scoreboard operator.

Galway have a chance V Kerry.

OakLeaf

A lot of folks forgetting that this is a young inexperienced Doire team. Yes it wasn't pretty yesterday but many teams go through days like this before they make the breakthrough. A wee bit of perspective is required. There's a lot of headroom for this Doire team to improve. This year has been a giant leap forward.

nrico2006

Quote from: OakLeaf on July 10, 2022, 09:36:05 PM
A lot of folks forgetting that this is a young inexperienced Doire team. Yes it wasn't pretty yesterday but many teams go through days like this before they make the breakthrough. A wee bit of perspective is required. There's a lot of headroom for this Doire team to improve. This year has been a giant leap forward.

Its not really that young a team though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

JoG2

Quote from: God14 on July 10, 2022, 04:55:33 PM

Tbh, maybe after 20mins I would have agreed (maybe the humidity and the occasion / nerves sapping some energy etc) but the team was full of running right to the end. Just had zero penetration, far too lateral.
The 5/6 sessions wouldn't have been intense running sessions, far from it. They have blocks of intense work like all counties do. Recover sessions, and tactic sessions would swell the the collective sessions / week.
You look at the other 3 teams over the weekend and Derry are not ahead fitness / strength wise. Galway physically are  bigger, they must be doing a mighty number of sessions.

screenexile

I have 3 complaints about the first half

1. Why was the Glass score not given when Walsh's was
2. There was a clear footblock from a scoreable position
3. Benny Heron was tripped at the top of the D and should have been a free in

No conplaints  about the second half other than the keeper jogging back to goal when he was caught up the pitch. He mightn't have made it but jesus make an effort!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on July 10, 2022, 11:24:04 PM

No conplaints  about the second half other than the keeper jogging back to goal when he was caught up the pitch. He mightn't have made it but jesus make an effort!!

Glass's point if we look at it at the time was over post, wide..

The 'foot block' was the ball hitting his foot more him throwing his foot at hom kicking the ball

Benny Herron yes looked like a foul

That aside Derry didn't create enough opportunities or try and break lines to get frees or set up goal chances.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2022, 11:50:54 PM

The 'foot block' was the ball hitting his foot more him throwing his foot at hom kicking the ball

That aside Derry didn't create enough opportunities or try and break lines to get frees or set up goal chances.

Glass's point was more to the inside of the post rather than over the top of it I can't remember did the umpires go to Hawkeye but if Walsh's was showing outside the post surely Glass's could have been more inside.

Cassidy was shooting for goal and the Galway defender had his foot out as well as his hands it wasn't like he was standing there and it hit him his feet moved towards the ball and blocked it.

I know they didn't cause us the game but just really annoying when you don't get the calls you should.

We'll learn the hard way I suppose Sure we're only a small fish 😂

Walter Cronc

Lynch is a calamity. Has been since he first took the jersey. I just hope Gallagher has the humility and foresight to get rid of him. Connlan Bradley is a better option at present and surely we've a decent u20 keeper coming through the ranks. It's a major issue of concern going forward!

lenny

Quote from: screenexile on July 11, 2022, 12:21:12 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 10, 2022, 11:50:54 PM

Glass's point was more to the inside of the post rather than over the top of it I can't remember did the umpires go to Hawkeye but if Walsh's was showing outside the post surely Glass's could have been more inside.

Cassidy was shooting for goal and the Galway defender had his foot out as well as his hands it wasn't like he was standing there and it hit him his feet moved towards the ball and blocked it.

I know they didn't cause us the game but just really annoying when you don't get the calls you should.

We'll learn the hard way I suppose Sure we're only a small fish 😂

All fair points and they were significant. If we had come out for the second half with a 3 point lead the second half would've been completely different. Galway were the better team in the second half no doubt but those decisions changed the game and they all went for Galway.