Previous topic - Next topic

naka

If I was an armagh mani would be sick because there was an all Ireland
Ok I am sick
Fair play to Galway easy the better team

ONeill

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 09, 2022, 11:39:29 PM
Quote from: ONeill on July 09, 2022, 11:22:24 PM
Don't accept that at all. Galway were in the same boat and grabbed it by both hands. You might never get back again.

Yes I know where you're coming from, and I'm disappointed, we should have have went for it when we were 6 points down. May aswell lose by 60 as 6
But I'm talking about 3 months back, would we have taken this in the middle of July ?
Yes

Why would you take that? I don't get it. Win the fcukin thing.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: ONeill on July 10, 2022, 12:05:45 AM
Don't accept that at all. Galway were in the same boat and grabbed it by both hands. You might never get back again.

Yes I know where you're coming from, and I'm disappointed, we should have have went for it when we were 6 points down. May aswell lose by 60 as 6
But I'm talking about 3 months back, would we have taken this in the middle of July ?
Yes

I get that too but it's been 29 years from the last ( and the first )
Yes in a one off game we should've fuckin went for it after 45 minutes or so,as I said 6 points or 60
BUT, from div 4 not that long ago to 35 minutes from an AI final and an Anglo celt ? Not the worst season
But I know what you mean, will earn tomorrow with regrets  :(
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Yes

We weren't enough to win the thing!

That's lazy analysis to say we're in the same boat as Galway they've been in Div 1 4 of the last 5 years and 3 years ago we were in Div 4.

Why does everything have to be so binary "win the All Ireland or you're shite". It's no way that simple. This was a chance for us but we weren't good enough so we'll go away and try to get better. We will 100% be better in 2-3 years time while doing our best in that time.

Yes there are Derry supporters disappointed tonight but we aren't disheartened there are way more positives to come out of this year than just the Galway performance!

We're not the same as Galway they came down from Div 1 last year and we came up from Div 3

JoG2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 10, 2022, 12:59:00 AM

Yes

I get that too but it's been 29 years from the last ( and the first )
Yes in a one off game we should've fuckin went for it after 45 minutes or so,as I said 6 points or 60
BUT, from div 4 not that long ago to 35 minutes from an AI final and an Anglo celt ? Not the worst season
But I know what you mean, will earn tomorrow with regrets  :(

Agreed, we've had a super year with memories for the young bucks who've had 5 brilliant days out to cherish.

A great learning curve and one these Derry men will process over time and come back stronger.

ranch

I can't believe Derry just rolled over during HT and agreed that the score from the 45 be allowed.
Gallagher could well have argued that the time it took to check Hawkeye denied Derry the chance for a quick kick out. Galway won the subsequent kick out and Comer scored.
Also, the Glass effort was never shown again after being given wide, despite looking like a point to most people. If the game had been closer at the end the GAA would be in an awkward spot.

sam03/05

Derry and their fans got a wee bit carried away with themselves.
All this chat about - just give such and such their all star now - unfortunately All Star awards get given out for performances from the semi final on and not for goals against Clare.
The truth is they had a good year off the back of Tyrone being distracted and over celebrating. When you look through the team they have some very average footballers, the likes of  Toner, Lynch, Doherty's, Herron's would need replaced with real quality, even the so called stars such as McGuigan, Glass and Rogers looked average yesterday.
They will be around for a while to come, but the disappointing thing yesterday was not even testing Galway with high balls after the joy Armagh got. Is Anton Tohill not an option in there?

An Watcher

Thought the same myself yday.  Did they pump one high ball in

sensethetone

Think if McKindless was from Tyrone more would have been made of him going down handy for frees..

seafoid

Losing the way Derry did wasn't just about tactics.  You don't know how good players are until they are properly tested. All the talk pre match was about Derry closing down Galway's big players.  It was too difficult. The second goal showed a lack of cuteness. Goalie out of position and ball turned over in no man's land . Galway'sc execution was top notch.

One big advantage Derry have is that the knowledge required to win the All-Ireland exists in the county, in places such as Ballinascreen and Swatragh.

I wouldn't be too upset about losing a match in this way.  The team was overwhelmed.  If Derry do return it won't be with this  exact 15. More work is required. Doire abĂș .

https://youtu.be/57ajn-NXtdc

lenny

Good luck to Galway in the final. They were the better team yesterday no doubt about it. Their defensive system totally strangled the life out of the Derry attack. Derry tried everything pushing everyone forward in the second half including Lynch which proved costly but it was probably worth the risk at that stage. Hopefully we can learn from his defeat and come back stronger next year.

seafoid

Yes
Absolutely. Chances will come around again. Ulster is not Leinster. There is no dominant team. Even if Derry lose in Ulster the Sam Maguire qualifiers are nothing special.

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on July 10, 2022, 01:01:39 AM

Yes

We weren't enough to win the thing!

That's lazy analysis to say we're in the same boat as Galway they've been in Div 1 4 of the last 5 years and 3 years ago we were in Div 4.

Why does everything have to be so binary "win the All Ireland or you're shite". It's no way that simple. This was a chance for us but we weren't good enough so we'll go away and try to get better. We will 100% be better in 2-3 years time while doing our best in that time.

Yes there are Derry supporters disappointed tonight but we aren't disheartened there are way more positives to come out of this year than just the Galway performance!

We're not the same as Galway they came down from Div 1 last year and we came up from Div 3
Are you non binary ?

ONeill

Don't accept that line of thinking atall. Derry were level at half time in an All Ireland semi final and blew it. There is no solace in thinking about next year or beyond. Teams they edged this year will regroup next year and come again. That Tyrone squad might never get back to an AI Final but they took it when they'd the door opened. Genuinely think Derry were good enough to win it this year but simply fcuked it up.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tintin25

I think there'll be more to come from this Derry side in the coming years, but they really need to unearth a couple more quality forwards.  When your main scoring threat is coming from the defence then you'll always have problems.  Outside of maybe Shane McGuigan there is no one in that forward line you'd fancy on scoring a couple of points a game.  And even though McGuigan is their main forward he still doesn't have the same 'x' factor as say a Comer, Clifford or O'Neill.