Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

it wasnt even a defensive move either from him

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 28, 2022, 02:57:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 28, 2022, 02:55:19 PM
I'm not denying it will be difficult, such is trial by social media nowadays...

His actions though will hopefully be acted on (gouging and entering field of play) and maybe discourage it going forward, I'll certainly be explaining to the captains on Wed night that if there is one melee the first ones in will not be getting "ah come on lads" attitude

We can't continue to have these all in type situations, I've had 4 games at football where this has happened this year, people getting worked up and taking things personal, the ball should be your only focus, we'll end up with a sanitised game to reduce the amount of flare ups we have. Now that would be shit viewing also.

I've only asked he get's what everyone else has received in the past, nothing more. Anything more would be unfair.

the entering the field of play part. Will everyone who isn't part of the squad who entered the field of play get a punishment or just him? Rightly or wrongly he was with the team on Sunday and had to cross the field to get to the changing room. Does that count as entering the field of play?

I was a manager of our senior team at Croke park, the days leading up to our final were filled with information that we had to adhere to otherwise there would be fines all round.... You would not believe the shit they are looking to do you for, most teams will take the fines and have all their 'players' available for the experience, I tried to stick to the rules rather than having the fines for the club, so naming a squad and having them only at the sub area was difficult, but as we'd two appearances at Croke that year I felt that we'd try our best.

As for crossing the pitch, as he wasn't named on the squad he shouldn't have been on the pitch or in the changing rooms anyways. Anyone that enters the pitch illegally and is reported by the referee is against the rules, end of and their is punishment for that, In games I've asked non players to leave the pitch, if they don't they are reported and the club and player will have to answer to CCC for their actions.

The county sec will take the blame for this, the buck stops with them in relation to adhering to Croke park protocols
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Manning18 on June 28, 2022, 02:57:00 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 28, 2022, 01:37:26 PM
Walsh is getting a fair bit of stick for that pass and rightly so but thought he played well without doing anything spectacular, nailed all the frees he should and scored one from a really difficult angle with his left that very few would make. He attracted a lot of attention and used that well at time by just keeping out of the way which created space for others which can be seen with McDaids goal when nobody tracking Mannion. He was definitely not right at that challenge in the first half, he didn't turn on the after burners all afternoon and was visibly hobbling on a few occasions.

Comer very good again although should have passed when he went for goal but suppose can understand given his record when given that opportunity. After the Mayo game all the talk was if you could stop Conroy, Comer & Walsh you'd beat Galway easily, doesn't look the case now.

Completely agree bar the afterburners. First half of extra time he gets the ball under the Cusack, burns Morgan on the outside and is pulled, and kicks the free from near the sideline. Won and kicked a free in similar circumstances when Galway were struggling in the first half. Considering he won the frees, how are they not as good as scores from play (he kicked a gorgeous one of those incidentally).

Considering how many late hits he shipped and the fact that every time he went on a run he had two lads converging on him, I thought he really stood up. The second goal came because he drew 3 players before shipping it off. Some near neighbors who've been defending Cillian o'Connors 3 all ireland finals scoreless from play for years seem to be taking delight in saying he went missing when its utter nonsense, he was trying to take too much responsibility if anything, aiding to that braindead moment at the end of normal time. Luckily he made up for it in ET and penalties

The point around Galway having 3 players and noone else mere weeks ago was hilarious. Before the Roscommon game it was all about Roscommon having 6 scoring forwards and Galway relying on 2. One of those forwards couldn't make his sigerson team while Finnerty and Tierney were two of the best players in the entire competition. Recency bias in GAA circles and media knows no bounds. McDaid and Finnerty will be the dangermen to watch for the next game despite most media having no idea who they were 4 weeks ago
Preach, the lack of quality coverage even from outlets such as OTB who should be looking for minutes to fill with in depth analysis is stark. They know about the teams that are there every year in finals, i.e. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone. Outside of that they haven't a clue, it's cliché city.
Particularly when you go to Division Two games all Spring and see how those second tier Division teams are then talked about for championship previews it's plain to see that they have not watched any video on those teams and have not done even cursory research. It's far worse for the lower Division teams of course.

His actions though will hopefully be acted on (gouging and entering field of play) and maybe discourage it going forward, I'll certainly be explaining to the captains on Wed night that if there is one melee the first ones in will not be getting "ah come on lads" attitude

We can't continue to have these all in type situations, I've had 4 games at football where this has happened this year, people getting worked up and taking things personal, the ball should be your only focus, we'll end up with a sanitised game to reduce the amount of flare ups we have. Now that would be shit viewing also.

I've only asked he get's what everyone else has received in the past, nothing more. Anything more would be unfair.

I think for this season he should get what others have received as this is not even the first instance of this in 2023. Another complete tr**p in McKinless is lining out and playing well for Derry all summer, he clearly eye gouged Sean Kelly in the league game, he missed one match from it.
The GAA should say that Tiernan Kelly is getting a one match ban (with perhaps some additional games because he wasn't part of the 26 and that makes it worse in that he shouldn't have been on the pitch at all) as per precedence and then move on from it, unlike McKinless who did it in a league game, Kelly did this in a high profile televised match and his reputation is already in the dirt from his - disgraceful - actions.

More importantly, they should outline how the current rulebook and disciplinary system is going to be overhauled. This should be done to ensure that egregious and dangerous incidents like gouging are going to result in one year bans from all GAA competition for the perpetrators. Disappointing to see the likes of Owen Mulligan making false equivalences online as if losing a tooth from a blow and losing an eye from a gouge are the same thing, eye gouging is the action of a sc**bag, plain and simple. We should be able to agree that in heated moments most have had the inclination to violently shove or even hit someone, anyone who says that eye gouging is the natural first reaction in one of these melees and somehow comparable to a thump, is wrong in my opinion.
If they want to get serious about the melees at inter county level and the farcical appeals process for lads who have clearly done something wrong, now is the time to do it but do not target Tiernan Kelly in some manner that is not in line with what you have done previously about these things.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: APM on June 28, 2022, 03:50:26 PM
3. The row - This suited Galway and was the last thing we needed going in after recovering from a 6 point deficit.  Galway should have been going in deflated, but instead I'll bet they were pumped by the time the fighting was over.  We have a tendancy to get involved in these pointless rows even though they are not in our interest.  The one in Donegal in the NFL was completely stupid given the Championship match around the corner.  Same on Sunday.  At some stage, management and co. board have to take responsibility for this.  It will be easy now for other teams to target Armagh given this developing reputation. 

100% this. Think I even read a comment from a Galway player after the game stating that they felt the row helped them regain a bit of focus.

Armagh didn't benefit from participating in any row this year. That has to be recognised by the group going forward.

There's a time for standing your ground and making a point, and there's a time to let it go and focus the bigger prize. This group have still to learn the difference.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: APM on June 28, 2022, 03:50:26 PM
5. The Future - The manner of the defeat at the weekend sets them up well going into a new season - not unlike the defeats between 1999-2001, when they weren't that far away.  We will watch how Galway get on with interest. Kind of agree with you about McGeeney, but unlike the 2 Brians period, there isn't an obvious successor. We have a lot of talent at our disposal, but some of our vital cogs (Campbell (31), Grugan(31), Morgan(31), Forker (30) Shields (33)) are getting on. Given the lack of underage success and injuries, who knows if they will be replaced with players of equal quality? Will Campbell be able to have another year like this one? I therefore see Armagh having a short window of about 2 years to achieve any kind of success.  Co. Board facing a very difficult decision about McGeeney's future and my instinct is that he will be given another year. Honestly have no idea whether or not that is the right thing to do.

Also agree with much of this, especially the bit in bold. There's a cohort there in their early thirties who have maybe a couple of years left in them. After they go there is a natural break, and probably a natural point at which to transition to a different management team.

If McGeeney was to be given the road, the time to do it was two years ago. Someone else might then have had the benefit of the twilight years of some of Armagh's current best players.

There seems to me to be little point changing it up just when things have just begun to rumble in the right direction. Especially with no clear and obvious successor.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

APM

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 28, 2022, 04:23:25 PM
Walsh is getting a fair bit of stick for that pass and rightly so but thought he played well without doing anything spectacular, nailed all the frees he should and scored one from a really difficult angle with his left that very few would make. He attracted a lot of attention and used that well at time by just keeping out of the way which created space for others which can be seen with McDaids goal when nobody tracking Mannion. He was definitely not right at that challenge in the first half, he didn't turn on the after burners all afternoon and was visibly hobbling on a few occasions.

Comer very good again although should have passed when he went for goal but suppose can understand given his record when given that opportunity. After the Mayo game all the talk was if you could stop Conroy, Comer & Walsh you'd beat Galway easily, doesn't look the case now.

Completely agree bar the afterburners. First half of extra time he gets the ball under the Cusack, burns Morgan on the outside and is pulled, and kicks the free from near the sideline. Won and kicked a free in similar circumstances when Galway were struggling in the first half. Considering he won the frees, how are they not as good as scores from play (he kicked a gorgeous one of those incidentally).

Considering how many late hits he shipped and the fact that every time he went on a run he had two lads converging on him, I thought he really stood up. The second goal came because he drew 3 players before shipping it off. Some near neighbors who've been defending Cillian o'Connors 3 all ireland finals scoreless from play for years seem to be taking delight in saying he went missing when its utter nonsense, he was trying to take too much responsibility if anything, aiding to that braindead moment at the end of normal time. Luckily he made up for it in ET and penalties

The point around Galway having 3 players and noone else mere weeks ago was hilarious. Before the Roscommon game it was all about Roscommon having 6 scoring forwards and Galway relying on 2. One of those forwards couldn't make his sigerson team while Finnerty and Tierney were two of the best players in the entire competition. Recency bias in GAA circles and media knows no bounds. McDaid and Finnerty will be the dangermen to watch for the next game despite most media having no idea who they were 4 weeks ago
Preach, the lack of quality coverage even from outlets such as OTB who should be looking for minutes to fill with in depth analysis is stark. They know about the teams that are there every year in finals, i.e. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone. Outside of that they haven't a clue, it's cliché city.
Particularly when you go to Division Two games all Spring and see how those second tier Division teams are then talked about for championship previews it's plain to see that they have not watched any video on those teams and have not done even cursory research. It's far worse for the lower Division teams of course.

I think for this season he should get what others have received as this is not even the first instance of this in 2023. Another complete tr**p in McKinless is lining out and playing well for Derry all summer, he clearly eye gouged Sean Kelly in the league game, he missed one match from it.
The GAA should say that Tiernan Kelly is getting a one match ban (with perhaps some additional games because he wasn't part of the 26 and that makes it worse in that he shouldn't have been on the pitch at all) as per precedence and then move on from it, unlike McKinless who did it in a league game, Kelly did this in a high profile televised match and his reputation is already in the dirt from his - disgraceful - actions.

More importantly, they should outline how the current rulebook and disciplinary system is going to be overhauled. This should be done to ensure that egregious and dangerous incidents like gouging are going to result in one year bans from all GAA competition for the perpetrators. Disappointing to see the likes of Owen Mulligan making false equivalences online as if losing a tooth from a blow and losing an eye from a gouge are the same thing, eye gouging is the action of a sc**bag, plain and simple. We should be able to agree that in heated moments most have had the inclination to violently shove or even hit someone, anyone who says that eye gouging is the natural first reaction in one of these melees and somehow comparable to a thump, is wrong in my opinion.
If they want to get serious about the melees at inter county level and the farcical appeals process for lads who have clearly done something wrong, now is the time to do it but do not target Tiernan Kelly in some manner that is not in line with what you have done previously about these things.

I think this is a very fair assessment. 

yellowcard

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 28, 2022, 04:23:25 PM

I remember watching the McKinless incident on the highlights so there is a clear precedence with both McMahon and McKinless and I'm sure there are others. One match ban plus an additional ban for encroachment. However if they include the encroachment then there could be a dozen or so other players hauled in as well if they are consistent. They simply can't give him additional punishment just because it is a high profile fixture and there is a social media outcry if its not in the rulebook. It's not a ban that is proportionate to the offence but until they change the rulebook then they just can't add on matches based on a media reaction.

mouview

Exactly. I find it amusing how little people outside the county know or rate this team. Anyone from Galway who has a good knowledge of the scene would know that, after the disappointment of last year, how well the team has been moving this year. The league form was a good hint. Bit by bit, the pieces (players) have fallen into place and started to show good form. Galway haven't arrived over night. This team and panel have been building for quite a while now.

Armamike

If Galway can tighten up a bit more at the back and manage out the game a bit better they're going to be a major threat for anyone. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on June 28, 2022, 05:29:02 PM

Exactly. I find it amusing how little people outside the county know or rate this team. Anyone from Galway who has a good knowledge of the scene would know that, after the disappointment of last year, how well the team has been moving this year. The league form was a good hint. Bit by bit, the pieces (players) have fallen into place and started to show good form. Galway haven't arrived over night. This team and panel have been building for quite a while now.
What was very encouraging on Sunday was the performances of McDaid, Finnerty and Tierney. McDaid may be the new Michael Coleman
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: Orior on June 28, 2022, 05:49:03 PM
https://twitter.com/StevenMcD13/status/1541823194797166595?s=20&t=Si7nNv2BfGtz5D2Pp8x37g

Load of shite.

However at least the lad has apparently approached Galway to apologise and has accepted he was wrong. Oisin McConville on 2nd captains rightly said Armagh GAA should get ahead of the issue and punish the player. That would require real leadership from McGeeney and the County Board.

tonto1888

Quote from: Itchy on June 28, 2022, 06:29:48 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 28, 2022, 05:49:03 PM
https://twitter.com/StevenMcD13/status/1541823194797166595?s=20&t=Si7nNv2BfGtz5D2Pp8x37g

Load of shite.

However at least the lad has apparently approached Galway to apologise and has accepted he was wrong. Oisin McConville on 2nd captains rightly said Armagh GAA should get ahead of the issue and punish the player. That would require real leadership from McGeeney and the County Board.

What exactly is shite about it?

Armagh Girl

Well at this stage this thread has been exhausted, and the absolutely appalling statements being made on this Forum and on other media outlets are a disgrace.  A 22 year old boy makes a mistake and people are almost calling for him to be hanged!  A relative of TK works with me, and there is no better a young lad helping keep younger children out of trouble in his area, working hard training and from really good decent family.  He is devastated as are his family and friends along with his club and i sincerely hope that he gets past this and gets the support he needs......it is up to the GAA to decide on this NOT Trial by social media! He done wrong and knows he done wrong ......we all make mistakes ......and it is great for all the keyboard warriors, Policitians, Sports Analysts who weren't even at the match to make all the comments of the day, 1 in particular from a well known barrister who can't wait to represent people who a do lot more wrong than this and if it came to making money would defend this boy in a flash!!  As an Armagh Supporter who supports them in the depths of Winter to the great day we all had on Sunday.....what a magnificent display from both Teams, and special credit to Rian, what a player!.  I sincerely hope a conclusion is brought to this quickly so we can all move on.  (The Handbags incident which led to this happened in front of us, and everyone could see that Comer was the instigator, closely followed by Morgan.....those 2 should have been sent off for extra time, but Good Luck to Galway in the next match as we enjoyed the craic with the Corofin crew next to us at the match!)  Hopefully Rian gets his All Star !