Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 27, 2022, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 27, 2022, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 03:28:39 PM
I would agree with a lot of that. I would have preferred Armagh won but I do generally like Galway. Comer was wired in that game and I honestly thought he should have had red. Walsh while wasn't fantastic was subject to some not great treatment by Morgan so I wouldn't have his behaviour down as quite as bad as you would but still expected better from him both behaviour wise and taking the game to armagh wise.
On what basis should Comer have seen red?
Some of the claptrap here since the match yesterday is incredible. That was a great game, fair play to both sets of players, a phenomenal atmosphere in the stadium which the Armagh support contributed to in a massive way. The melee was the usual handbags with the exception of one complete tr**p who should be fucked out from playing for a year.

Shane Walsh "feigning injury", I'll be kind and assume this person wasn't in CP, how Morgan didn't get a second yellow is the only "remarkable" thing. It's even noted in the IT match report, "they should also have been without James Morgan whose enthusiasm for wrestling Shane Walsh and clattering into him off the ball miraculously failed to draw further punishment than one yellow card.". Presumably this will be disavowed as West Brit propaganda.

I met some absolute gents from Armagh both pre and post match in and around CP, a much fairer appraisal of the match and the controversies was had with them, so to come online and read back through this thread is surprising, either people weren't at the match or if they were, have put some quare slant on what happened out there. I would have preferred a replay for the game but both teams knew that penalties were a possibility.
Galway turned up and once they got over the first 15 minutes gave the performance that was required on a big day. Finnerty, Tierney and McDaid came of age in Galway jerseys yesterday, Tierney had not been in top form in Connacht but came alive in CP. Shane Walsh did not have a good game, he'll know that himself, the great thing is that there is another match to try and play better in only two weeks away.
The Galway collapses are seriously troubling as against Mayo, Roscommon and now Armagh, Galway have been the better team and have contrived to make comfortable victories into something that would take years off you. Gleeson and the kickouts have been flagged as a huge weakness for a long time and it is hard to believe that we got away with those catastrophic errors yesterday. Armagh were gifted 3 goals and still didn't win, the grit and clutch play from McDaid in ET to ensure that they didn't was a sight to behold.

Derry are a formidable team and the league result will have no bearing on the semi final whatsoever. Galway need to show up and play better again the next day again, simple as that.

Good post. Best of luck in a fortnights time

tonto1888

6th sam

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 27, 2022, 04:15:57 PM
Quote from: galwayman on June 27, 2022, 03:29:42 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 27, 2022, 03:28:39 PM
I would agree with a lot of that. I would have preferred Armagh won but I do generally like Galway. Comer was wired in that game and I honestly thought he should have had red. Walsh while wasn't fantastic was subject to some not great treatment by Morgan so I wouldn't have his behaviour down as quite as bad as you would but still expected better from him both behaviour wise and taking the game to armagh wise.
On what basis should Comer have seen red?
Some of the claptrap here since the match yesterday is incredible. That was a great game, fair play to both sets of players, a phenomenal atmosphere in the stadium which the Armagh support contributed to in a massive way. The melee was the usual handbags with the exception of one complete tr**p who should be fucked out from playing for a year.

Shane Walsh "feigning injury", I'll be kind and assume this person wasn't in CP, how Morgan didn't get a second yellow is the only "remarkable" thing. It's even noted in the IT match report, "they should also have been without James Morgan whose enthusiasm for wrestling Shane Walsh and clattering into him off the ball miraculously failed to draw further punishment than one yellow card.". Presumably this will be disavowed as West Brit propaganda.

I met some absolute gents from Armagh both pre and post match in and around CP, a much fairer appraisal of the match and the controversies was had with them, so to come online and read back through this thread is surprising, either people weren't at the match or if they were, have put some quare slant on what happened out there. I would have preferred a replay for the game but both teams knew that penalties were a possibility.
Galway turned up and once they got over the first 15 minutes gave the performance that was required on a big day. Finnerty, Tierney and McDaid came of age in Galway jerseys yesterday, Tierney had not been in top form in Connacht but came alive in CP. Shane Walsh did not have a good game, he'll know that himself, the great thing is that there is another match to try and play better in only two weeks away.
The Galway collapses are seriously troubling as against Mayo, Roscommon and now Armagh, Galway have been the better team and have contrived to make comfortable victories into something that would take years off you. Gleeson and the kickouts have been flagged as a huge weakness for a long time and it is hard to believe that we got away with those catastrophic errors yesterday. Armagh were gifted 3 goals and still didn't win, the grit and clutch play from McDaid in ET to ensure that they didn't was a sight to behold.

Derry are a formidable team and the league result will have no bearing on the semi final whatsoever. Galway need to show up and play better again the next day again, simple as that.

I've stated I wanted to see Galway win , so I'm at the very least giving a neutral viewpoint. I wasn't at the match, my opinion is formed after watching live Tv,  and replays and analysis , which those at the match didn't benefit from. I equally accept there are things not picked up on camera that I didn't see .
Shane Walsh is as gifted a player as there is in the country. But Look at the video , in the first half he was in agony with an ankle injury , but he managed to strike a free immediately afterwards with perfect technique and balance and run at 100mph. The incident with Morgan looked as if he was in real trouble , writhing about , but again running without impediment immediately after. Morgan was on a booking, who had most to lose by the wrestling match towards the end with Walsh and another?
Armagh are no angels, but it seems to me that Galway escaped scrutiny from the pundits for questionable tactics . Questionable antics are part and parcel for every county team, but RTE seem to cherry pick who they want to scrutinise.

Sportacus

With all the complaining about penalties, I wonder did Armagh and Galway delegates vote for or against penalties when the proposal came forward at Congress?

Champion The Wonder Horse

Four match ban. Would have been one match if he was a player, so doubling that and doubling it again because he wasn't a member of the match day squad and because he shouldn't have been anywhere near the melee is about right.

You want to deal with gouging properly, have a rule that allows you to deal with it properly.

inroundthesquare

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 27, 2022, 08:25:26 AM
The only suspension out of it all should be the Armagh eye gouger - the rest was handbags - bit of pushing

Blaine Hughes went straight in to headlock take down Galway No. 4 so he was an escalator

armaghniac

Quote from: inroundthesquare on June 27, 2022, 07:49:34 PM
The only suspension out of it all should be the Armagh eye gouger - the rest was handbags - bit of pushing

Blaine Hughes went straight in to headlock take down Galway No. 4 so he was an escalator

Steps should be taken against escalators.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armamike

Quote from: Sportacus on June 27, 2022, 05:04:56 PM
With all the complaining about penalties, I wonder did Armagh and Galway delegates vote for or against penalties when the proposal came forward at Congress?

It doesn't really resonate until your county's involved in one. It didn't for me anyway.  Try being in that position and then see how you feel about penalties.
That's just, like your opinion man.

AustinPowers

Quote from: armaghniac on June 27, 2022, 07:58:18 PM
Quote from: inroundthesquare on June 27, 2022, 07:49:34 PM

Steps should be taken against escalators.

;D

Throw ball

I gave up reading this thread and skipped to this page where a Galway man talked the most sense.

Before going further I will say TK deserves a ban and I hope he learns from it. He has the potential to be a very good player. People do stupid things and all they can do is learn from it. Other players have done the same without half the abuse.

As for the accusations Armagh somehow are especially profound at dirty tricks and starting melees - wise up. Every team has players who will push the line. Armagh no more than others. And the melees can only start if 2 teams get involved.

For me a big part of the problem with this Armagh team is that they aren't cute enough. Without criticising Galway they had players to win frees, lie injured to stop momentum and block runners with half fouls that go unpunished. Most Armagh players take it as an affront to be treated by the physio! I think this more than anything contributes to them getting involved in melees. It is not in their nature to walk away.

As for what started yesterday's row. From were I sat Morgan gave Comer a bit of a shove and Comer overreacted - probably mad at the finish to game. He then pushed someone else and everyone charged in. The majority were trying to separate others.

I have been at nearly every game possible,  home and away, that Armagh have played since Geezer took over. The majority of the time the games have been exciting. There is a reason so many went to support them yesterday.  Even those who wouldn't know a football if it hit them on the head. Armagh are good to watch .

Good luck Galway in rest of championship. I didn't hear their supporters complain about dirty tricks yesterday.

Armagh18

After the match, someone said to me, "It wasn't Armagh's day", but they were wrong. Yesterday WAS Armagh's day, and it was one of the all-time great days in Croke Park.
Armagh brought everything to Croker yesterday, the noise, the fans, the colour, the excitement, the atmosphere, the chaos, the unpredictability, the hail marys, the goals, the comebacks, the schmozzle, the penalties. The list goes on.
The media are focusing on the row, but real GAA people will always remember yesterday for the amazing sense of occasion.
The Armagh game was followed by 2nd gear Kerry beating perennial losers Mayo, and was preceded the previous night by boring boring Dublin handpassing around a gutless Cork team who only brought about 300 supporters with them. If this is the sort of safe and sanitized football that RTÉ and the rest of the outraged media want then good luck to them.
Yesterday Armagh people voted with their feet, and thronged to Dublin in their tens of thousands to watch a team that are not afraid.  They rose to the challenge to 'Turn Croker Orange'  Someone has to win, and someone has to lose, but Armagh helped to restore something great to the GAA yesterday. They lost the game, but they never gave up, they made mistakes but were willing to take the risks. If you combine a team like this with the most fervent supporters in Ireland then you create the special kind of aura that we were lucky to witness yesterday and if they can keep that going next year then there is a chance that maybe Armagh can become the Saviours of Gaelic Football.

Stolen from another site

seafoid

Quote from: Armamike on June 27, 2022, 08:10:16 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on June 27, 2022, 05:04:56 PM

It doesn't really resonate until your county's involved in one. It didn't for me anyway.  Try being in that position and then see how you feel about penalties.
Losing sucks. The method is irrelevant.

Galway had been practicing penalties for weeks. Very similar to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhlNKcyNCI
Attention to detail
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:11:01 PM
After the match, someone said to me, "It wasn't Armagh's day", but they were wrong. Yesterday WAS Armagh's day, and it was one of the all-time great days in Croke Park.
Armagh brought everything to Croker yesterday, the noise, the fans, the colour, the excitement, the atmosphere, the chaos, the unpredictability, the hail marys, the goals, the comebacks, the schmozzle, the penalties. The list goes on.
The media are focusing on the row, but real GAA people will always remember yesterday for the amazing sense of occasion.
The Armagh game was followed by 2nd gear Kerry beating perennial losers Mayo, and was preceded the previous night by boring boring Dublin handpassing around a gutless Cork team who only brought about 300 supporters with them. If this is the sort of safe and sanitized football that RTÉ and the rest of the outraged media want then good luck to them.
Yesterday Armagh people voted with their feet, and thronged to Dublin in their tens of thousands to watch a team that are not afraid.  They rose to the challenge to 'Turn Croker Orange'  Someone has to win, and someone has to lose, but Armagh helped to restore something great to the GAA yesterday. They lost the game, but they never gave up, they made mistakes but were willing to take the risks. If you combine a team like this with the most fervent supporters in Ireland then you create the special kind of aura that we were lucky to witness yesterday and if they can keep that going next year then there is a chance that maybe Armagh can become the Saviours of Gaelic Football.

Stolen from another site

That's similar positive spin I've seen by certain soccer supporters on social media on a mediocre season
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armagh18

Quote from: Throw ball on June 27, 2022, 09:09:12 PM
I gave up reading this thread and skipped to this page where a Galway man talked the most sense.

Before going further I will say TK deserves a ban and I hope he learns from it. He has the potential to be a very good player. People do stupid things and all they can do is learn from it. Other players have done the same without half the abuse.

As for the accusations Armagh somehow are especially profound at dirty tricks and starting melees - wise up. Every team has players who will push the line. Armagh no more than others. And the melees can only start if 2 teams get involved.

For me a big part of the problem with this Armagh team is that they aren't cute enough. Without criticising Galway they had players to win frees, lie injured to stop momentum and block runners with half fouls that go unpunished. Most Armagh players take it as an affront to be treated by the physio! I think this more than anything contributes to them getting involved in melees. It is not in their nature to walk away.

As for what started yesterday's row. From were I sat Morgan gave Comer a bit of a shove and Comer overreacted - probably mad at the finish to game. He then pushed someone else and everyone charged in. The majority were trying to separate others.

I have been at nearly every game possible,  home and away, that Armagh have played since Geezer took over. The majority of the time the games have been exciting. There is a reason so many went to support them yesterday.  Even those who wouldn't know a football if it hit them on the head. Armagh are good to watch .

Good luck Galway in rest of championship. I didn't hear their supporters complain about dirty tricks yesterday.
Very well said. Hopefully our lads can learn something and come back next year. I'll tell you what, the championship is going to be wide up for the next few years- the 4 semi finalists this year plus ourselves, will all be knocking about at the top table for the next while- theres another 3/4 good teams in Ulster who will be sitting a home licking their wounds and ready for a charge at next year and Mayo will always be knocking about as well.

charlieTully

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:11:01 PM

Stolen from another site

Read it all now. Ffs.