Armagh v Galway AIQF

Started by tonto1888, June 13, 2022, 03:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 27, 2022, 09:43:36 AM
Quote from: Dreadnought on June 27, 2022, 09:33:28 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 27, 2022, 09:28:29 AM
Penalties is not a gaa skill and should never be used to determine the winner of such an important match - it's a lottery. At this stage of championship I'd prefer replays (with a much reduced admission price). If this isn't possible then ball thrown in again and next score wins (toss for who plays which way - the wind might be an advantage). This would make much more sense than penalties and wouldn't take too long to determine the winner.

Well I must have missed it when penalties have been used in GAA for ages now for fouls in the box. And not a lottery, both the taker and keeper can affect the outcome of the kick. Nowhere near a lottery at all. Galway supposedly practiced them, at the end of challenge matches. They trained for it, and won it.

How does next score win work in a gale force win? That now is far more of a lottery than penalties... You can't call it that, and then give that suggestion.

It's a lottery as it's not a skill of the game. I'd much prefer the game won using next score. The wind could be a factor (but won't be a lot of times for big games in the summer) but that's part of every match (sometimes it only picks up for a half giving a team advantage etc).

How so? It is a skill of the game. If we're at a point where 5 inter County players selected can't take a penalty then we're in a bad place. Most teams have a fair few players who take placed balls, even at club level. Getting 5 to take them is not a huge deal for players at this level. It's far less a lottery than your other suggestion

Applesisapples

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 12:33:29 AM
I thought the red card was wrong and only a yellow originally but the replays showed different. Armagh should lost Morgan as well.
The red was probably correct but a yellow would also have been ok, just timed it wrong and it was a clash of heads that caused the damage, but as an Armagh man I can't complain. On Morgan though after he was deservedly yellow carded he was targeted by Galway for the second yellow and I think that's what saved him. Its an aspect of the game that I don't like trying to get players sent off.

AustinPowers

Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Penalties:
Losers hate them obviously.

Winners are happy but will say it's a terrible way to lose blah, blah, blah.

Neutrals think it's the best way to finish on the day.
Most neutrals seem to be saying it's no way to lose any match.

Yeah, but it's the way these games finish.

You'd think, from Armagh's point of view, that the referee just decided on penalties himself at the end of extra-time.

Sour grapes - Armagh lost. Raw now but that's life. It happened in the Munster game earlier this year and no one, outside Clare and Limerick, gave a fiddlers. It happens in club games.  Get over it ffs.

The main issue is this;
In the cold light of day, Galway were the better team. They almost threw it away.  Galway were 6 or 7 pts up in the 70+ mins. Armagh got lucky with the goals. Papered over that they were badly outplayed.

That's the reality.

So if Galway were  the better team, why take penalties at all then? Why not just award them the  semi final place based on that?

Regardless of who was better on the day, the number of points on the scoreboard is what matters.  The better team doesn't always win.

I'm sure most  Armagh fans would admit Galway were better but what does that matter ?  None of them would care about how good or bad their teams performance was yesterday  as long as they were in the AI semi final

Gael80

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 10:05:13 AM
Everybody knew this rule for a while, was there any mass objection at the annual convention, more a attitude it never happen to us. Reality is Galway were better in most positions yesterday. Armagh had got well on top first 20/25mins but struggled badly in the 2nd Half, extra time was a even affair. Best game in years as some say, was littered with mistakes and 3 goalkeeper/defensive errors from Galway kept Armagh in the game. Only Campbell stood out for Armagh, as expected if you reduce O'Neill impact from play, Armagh do not have the threats elsewhere to heavily score.

Galway probably did shade it but they weren't way out in front and ultimately didn't beat Armagh in open play. I actually thought Armagh shaded extra time. Armagh will get over it and take great heart from not playing as well as they can but not losing the match over 90 minutes. I do expect Galway to reach the final which should give Armagh even more hope how close they are.

As for O'Neill - what a free, might win him an All Star and Rafferty might not be far from one either.

Wildweasel74

Morgan got nothing at the time for hitting Walsh on the blindside.

Armamike

Quote from: Taylor on June 27, 2022, 10:07:33 AM
Not much chat of the time wasting in the second half from Galway when they went in front.

The amount of stoppages was scandalous and much of it play acting from their players.

The timewasting from Galway came back to bite at the end of normal time. That extra 8 minutes gave Armagh and the supporters a massive lift.  Galway probably gambled the ref would just give the standard 3 or 4.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 12:31:00 AM
And what about the nxt time their another Armagh melee, will the subs ever learn to stay out of it, if the managers attitude is, someone pushes you, push them back. He still on the playground in primary school or sthing?
Nothing wrong with that attitude and I'd say you' not find too many successful footballers or people in general life who'd disagree with McGeeney.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 10:14:06 AM
Morgan got nothing at the time for hitting Walsh on the blindside.
Didn't see that. Walsh could have had a black when he took Morgan out off the ball after Morgan was on a yellow.

Applesisapples

Quote from: sam03/05 on June 27, 2022, 08:25:26 AM
The only suspension out of it all should be the Armagh eye gouger - the rest was handbags - bit of pushing
Understandably one of the Galway lads threw a punch at the gouger so might be in bother if the video is looked at closely. The GAA need to look at how they manage games, yesterday they could have been in dressing rooms at opposite sides of the pitch which would have avoided this type of thing.

general_lee

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 12:31:00 AM
And what about the nxt time their another Armagh melee, will the subs ever learn to stay out of it, if the managers attitude is, someone pushes you, push them back. He still on the playground in primary school or sthing?
Ive seen enough melees in Derry club football, is it different when you boys do it? Comer started it, Armagh fell for it. If/when Kelly gets his ban there won't be too many in Armagh defending him. 

shawshank

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 27, 2022, 10:05:13 AM
Everybody knew this rule for a while, was there any mass objection at the annual convention, more a attitude it never happen to us. Reality is Galway were better in most positions yesterday. Armagh had got well on top first 20/25mins but struggled badly in the 2nd Half, extra time was a even affair. Best game in years as some say, was littered with mistakes and 3 goalkeeper/defensive errors from Galway kept Armagh in the game. Only Campbell stood out for Armagh, as expected if you reduce O'Neill impact from play, Armagh do not have the threats elsewhere to heavily score.

Galway probably did shade it but they weren't way out in front and ultimately didn't beat Armagh in open play. I actually thought Armagh shaded extra time. Armagh will get over it and take great heart from not playing as well as they can but not losing the match over 90 minutes. I do expect Galway to reach the final which should give Armagh even more hope how close they are.

As for O'Neill - what a free, might win him an All Star and Rafferty might not be far from one either.

A team that won only two qualifiers won't get any All Stars. Galway won't win the All Ireland as their defense isn't good enough. A game they were in control of with a 5 minutes to go and they conceded junior b golas to give Armagh a draw. Derry will beat Galway. Credit to both teams for a very enjoyable game, a mix of everything in it. Outside of Kellys pathetic and trampish behaviour there was only abit of pushing shoving and wrestling. FFs it added to the occassion.

marty34

Quote from: Gael80 on June 27, 2022, 10:00:05 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:53:45 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 27, 2022, 09:45:40 AM
Quote from: marty34 on June 27, 2022, 09:43:54 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 27, 2022, 09:19:23 AM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with penalties. Anyone who expects players and fans to go to croke park 3 weekends in a row in the middle of a cost of living crisis forgets all the whinging there used to be about how expensive it was for families beforehand.
I feel like some people just do not want anything that comes from soccer in the GAA. Its anglophobia and belongs in the past.

Penalties:
Losers hate them obviously.

Winners are happy but will say it's a terrible way to lose blah, blah, blah.

Neutrals think it's the best way to finish on the day.
Most neutrals seem to be saying it's no way to lose any match.

Yeah, but it's the way these games finish.

You'd think, from Armagh's point of view, that the referee just decided on penalties himself at the end of extra-time.

Sour grapes - Armagh lost. Raw now but that's life. It happened in the Munster game earlier this year and no one, outside Clare and Limerick, gave a fiddlers. It happens in club games.  Get over it ffs.

The main issue is this;
In the cold light of day, Galway were the better team. They almost threw it away.  Galway were 6 or 7 pts up in the 70+ mins. Armagh got lucky with the goals. Papered over that they were badly outplayed.

That's the reality.

The most vocal opponents to the pens post game was actually Pádraic Joyce and Sean Cavanagh. This goes beyond 'sour grapes' which I don't think the discussion is about. I think most football people accept it's a problem that needs looking at. I'd much rather listen to legends of the game to be honest who understand the effort required to compete at inter county level.

It is sour grapes.

As time passes, this will all move on. Of course Joyce would say that - every winning manager says that. It's the norm.

I don't like penalties either but it's the way it is.

I never hear a team in the run up to a match complaining about penalties being on the cards.

Galway probably practisied penalty kicks during the week. Did Armagh I wonder?

Armagh were well beat, got lucky with a few high balls but Galway were the better team.

Armagh18

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 27, 2022, 10:17:16 AM
Quote from: sam03/05 on June 27, 2022, 08:25:26 AM
The only suspension out of it all should be the Armagh eye gouger - the rest was handbags - bit of pushing
Understandably one of the Galway lads threw a punch at the gouger so might be in bother if the video is looked at closely. The GAA need to look at how they manage games, yesterday they could have been in dressing rooms at opposite sides of the pitch which would have avoided this type of thing.
I really hope theres no further action taken apart from TK who should get a ban. What did all those Dublin and Kerry players get for eye gouging those times? Something similar to that. Hope the lad who threw a punch at him doesn't get cited and that Kelly (Galway) gets back for the semi.

Applesisapples

On the actual game, Galway shaded it one the 70 minutes, fairly even in ET imo. Penalties not the way to end it again imo. Armagh had chances to win it, two goal chances spurned prior to Galway revival in the first half and Rowland at the end took on a difficult shot with space in front of him. That said had it gone over he'd a hero.

marty34

Quote from: yellowcard on June 27, 2022, 10:07:43 AM
If we had won that match it would have been a great steal but it is still hard to take given the nature of the defeat. That said I don't understand all the hand wringing over penalty kicks. The rules are the same for both sides and we had 100+ minutes to win the match and didn't do so. As well as Rafferty played, I thought that Armagh should have brought on an actual shot stopper for the penalty kicks. That was a huge mistake by management. 

Kelly will get suspended for the gouging incident but he is a young lad who got carried away with the emotion and will have regrets this morning but some of the reaction is way ott. 

As a fellow Ulster man I would like to see Derry get to an AI final but nor would I be too disappointed to see Galway there either as they have great supporters and have a long tradition of producing great footballers none more so than Padraig Joyce who was very gracious in victory afterwards.

Good post Yellowcard.

Funnily enough, lads on tv were talking about changing Rafferty for a 'normal keeper' in the last minute of extra-time.