Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnysboys

What a fantastic podcast with wee Pete. A legend of the game and a very clear thinker.

An even better result tonight v Mayobridge though. Joe Magee playing the football of his life..

Sheedy

Falling attendances and ticket prices are topics that have been widely discussed already on different platforms but for me charging £22 into Newry on Saturday evening is going to do only one thing and that is keep people away.

2 matches or not it's too much and will keep families away. How many people in honesty are going to stay in pairc esler with kids from 4 to 8.30/9 by the time the second game is over.

nil satis nisi optimum

naka

tbf i though price was fair
its €25 to watch armagh on sunday

manwithnoplan

Quote from: Sheedy on June 13, 2024, 01:37:25 PMFalling attendances and ticket prices are topics that have been widely discussed already on different platforms but for me charging £22 into Newry on Saturday evening is going to do only one thing and that is keep people away.

2 matches or not it's too much and will keep families away. How many people in honesty are going to stay in pairc esler with kids from 4 to 8.30/9 by the time the second game is over.

Agreed. £27 for a parent and one child to go, and for younger kids there is little chance of them sitting for 5 hours in total so likely only stay for the Down game. And with the possibility of a semi final next weekend, it quickly adds up. There may be some who decide to wait for next week's game, hoping Down go through, as to go two weeks in a row just isn't affordable.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: naka on June 13, 2024, 01:50:13 PMtbf i though price was fair

That is a rip off.

Sheedy

Quote from: manwithnoplan on June 13, 2024, 02:53:40 PM

That is a rip off.

it's €25 for the Down match as well, the price I had was sterling, imo it's too much
nil satis nisi optimum

Mourne Red

Quote from: Sheedy on June 13, 2024, 03:20:10 PM

That is a rip off.

it's €25 for the Down match as well, the price I had was sterling, imo it's too much

Euros starting this weekend and shite weather.. Really someone needs to have a bit of cop on and consider that

snoopdog

Quote from: Mourne Red on June 13, 2024, 05:41:46 PM
Quote from: Sheedy on June 13, 2024, 03:20:10 PM

That is a rip off.

Euros starting this weekend and shite weather.. Really someone needs to have a bit of cop on and consider that
GAA don't do cop on.

Sheedy

Job done, into the semi finals. Performance in the first half was poor, second half was good bit better.
Unless they're injured or carrying knocks, Liam Kerr, Ceilium Doherty and Ryan Johnston have to start imo
nil satis nisi optimum

snoopdog

We will Play Sligo in the Semi final. Wicklow were never really threatening. Down would need to lift their game for Croke pk next Sunday.

AnDúnAbú94

Quote from: Sheedy on June 15, 2024, 06:45:43 PMJob done, into the semi finals. Performance in the first half was poor, second half was good bit better.
Unless they're injured or carrying knocks, Liam Kerr, Ceilium Doherty and Ryan Johnston have to start imo

Sums it up perfectly. Second half was a big improvement.

Gaelforce123

Price is fair of course. Why would GAA worry about the Euros, 3 games on a day there do you want GAA to play in the morning? Some 'GAA people' need the cop on. £25 for 2 games is good value... if we win the taitleann there will be some crying done over championship prices next year if in all ireland groups as they are dearer tickets every week. Dear for a family yes of course, so is any family day out. People always wanting something for nothing

PAULD123

Price is fair if you want the two games. How many people from Down would have paid to see Derry v Westmeath if Down hadn't been playing? maybe a few hundred at a push? So Down supporters weren't paying for two games, they were paying way over the odds for the one game they wanted because they would never have bought the second game.

Also like a lot of Down supporters I didn't even get to see the second game because I brought my little nephew and it's too long for his concentration to sit from 4pm to nearly 9pm.

manwithnoplan

Quote from: PAULD123 on June 17, 2024, 09:32:04 AMPrice is fair if you want the two games. How many people from Down would have paid to see Derry v Westmeath if Down hadn't been playing? maybe a few hundred at a push? So Down supporters weren't paying for two games, they were paying way over the odds for the one game they wanted because they would never have bought the second game.

Also like a lot of Down supporters I didn't even get to see the second game because I brought my little nephew and it's too long for his concentration to sit from 4pm to nearly 9pm.

100% correct. To suggest people are just looking something for nothing is ridiculous. With the later game also being streamed, at a time when most could make it home from Newry to watch it, I'd doubt there were huge numbers who sat through both games.

Gaelforce123

Did you look onto the pitch before you left then at half time? Did you get to see the tv at full time? The pitch was full of young people at half time in the second game, a lrge proportion of which were young Down fans. Did you see the amount of young Down fans around Conor Glass at full time? Young Down kids getting to see the likes of Glass play intercounty in the flesh well worth the extra... it appeared to me that many others did stay for the second game. Not many want to see the junior club final before the senior... or any club junior/intermediate game before senior champ game but price will reflect 2 games.... Maybe we should just stop all double headers, after all, not everyone wants to see both games 🙄