Buying and selling shares

Started by tiempo, December 30, 2014, 12:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Thinking of taking a dabble into the stock market.

Does anyone have experience of trading online and what would the best sites be to use?

I've been able to find out what fees are charged per purchase but not as clear about the comission/taxes paid when selling.

Hereiam

Tiempo if ur askin on here for advice on playin the stock market I would say ur not the type of person who should bother about it and just stick to the lotto.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on December 30, 2014, 01:14:20 PM
Good point. I'm thinking of doing the lottery this week, can anyone recommend any decent numbers I should pick?

6 is a good one

ONeill

Good point. I'm thinking of doing the lottery this week, can anyone recommend any decent numbers I should pick?

NUMBER CRUNCHING: THE STATISTICS OF SUCCESS

Never make selections based on birthdays. The reason is simple: no date contains a number above 31, thereby excluding 18 numbers in the draw and diminishing the chances of success.

Those aged 31-49 can improve their odds by including their ages as well.

Don't pick 13 - it really is unlucky, appearing just 154 times as a main ball in the Lottery.

And 16 performs equally poorly, while 41 and 20 do even worse.

The luckiest number in the Lottery is 38 with 206 main ball appearances, well ahead of the next luckiest number, 31, which has turned up 195 times.

A ticket comprised of the six best performing numbers in the draw would read 38, 31, 11, 9, 23, 25. But ...

Most popular combination over the past year is 3, 5, 7, 11, 23, 27. So if you win the jackpot with this ticket, you'll be splitting it an awful lot of ways.

Least popular combination over the past year is 32, 35, 37, 38, 43, 46. So if you win with this, you'll have it all to yourself! Until everyone rushes out and chooses it.

It is more efficient to buy 20 tickets for one Lottery draw than one ticket for 20 draws, presumably because you cover a greater spread of numbers.

Ensure your numbers add up to more than 177: according to a study of the Swiss lottery, this improves your chances, possibly because high numbers seem to be picked less often and therefore there are fewer winners to share with.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1212117/How-win-lottery-A-guide-home-jackpot.html#ixzz3NO3CG4Ms
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

None is the most lucrative number.
MWWSI 2017

tiempo

Quote from: Hereiam on December 30, 2014, 01:12:25 PM
Tiempo if ur askin on here for advice on playin the stock market I would say ur not the type of person who should bother about it and just stick to the lotto.

Ok, takeover bid shelved, the multinationals can rest easy, cheers spud

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ONeill on December 30, 2014, 01:20:07 PM

Never make selections based on birthdays. The reason is simple: no date contains a number above 31, thereby excluding 18 numbers in the draw and diminishing the chances of success.

Don't pick 13 - it really is unlucky, appearing just 154 times as a main ball in the Lottery.

The luckiest number in the Lottery is 38 with 206 main ball appearances, well ahead of the next luckiest number, 31, which has turned up 195 times.

A ticket comprised of the six best performing numbers in the draw would read 38, 31, 11, 9, 23, 25. But ...

Most popular combination over the past year is 3, 5, 7, 11, 23, 27. So if you win the jackpot with this ticket, you'll be splitting it an awful lot of ways.

Least popular combination over the past year is 32, 35, 37, 38, 43, 46. So if you win with this, you'll have it all to yourself! Until everyone rushes out and chooses it.

It is more efficient to buy 20 tickets for one Lottery draw than one ticket for 20 draws, presumably because you cover a greater spread of numbers.

Ensure your numbers add up to more than 177: according to a study of the Swiss lottery, this improves your chances, possibly because high numbers seem to be picked less often and therefore there are fewer winners to share with.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1212117/How-win-lottery-A-guide-home-jackpot.html#ixzz3NO3CG4Ms

Not sure I agree with the first bit. Every time you choose 6 numbers your excluding 43 numbers. Any 6 numbers have the same statistical chance of coming out as any other. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

JoG2

Quote from: tiempo on December 30, 2014, 10:21:38 PM

Unless you really know what yer at, stay clear. I tried it about 5 years ago. Went big on the advice of 'someone in the know'....the share price went from 1.80 odd to about 4p in a few months. I didn't cash out as I was told they would come good after a few middle eastern deals. (All advice from someone within the company who I knew and trusted). These shares ended up being suspended and when re floated the shares were devalued by 1000%. 8000 shares with  a keystroke became 8 shares! Still paying for it. Wife never let's me forget it too (which is worse)

Alot of locals were hit hard with the old BT shares back in the day

Avoid! !

orangeman

Quote from: JoG2 on December 30, 2014, 11:01:16 PM

Unless you really know what yer at, stay clear. I tried it about 5 years ago. Went big on the advice of 'someone in the know'....the share price went from 1.80 odd to about 4p in a few months. I didn't cash out as I was told they would come good after a few middle eastern deals. (All advice from someone within the company who I knew and trusted). These shares ended up being suspended and when re floated the shares were devalued by 1000%. 8000 shares with  a keystroke became 8 shares! Still paying for it. Wife never let's me forget it too (which is worse)

Avoid! !

Did Eircom go bad as well ?

macdanger2

TD Waterhouse have reasonable rates, the cheapest I've been able to find online

I'd disagree with some of the the blanket advice above about avoiding shares. But don't invest anything more than you can afford. If you invest in a blue chip company, their shares are unlikely to be suspended but the returns will obviously be lower but likely to be better than what the banks will offer.

If you're investing a reasonable amount, it might be worth paying a financial advisor for professional advice based on what you're looking for i.e. expected returns, duration of investment, etc

macdanger2

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 30, 2014, 10:58:05 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 30, 2014, 01:20:07 PM

Not sure I agree with the first bit. Every time you choose 6 numbers your excluding 43 numbers. Any 6 numbers have the same statistical chance of coming out as any other. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

You're correct

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: JoG2 on December 30, 2014, 11:01:16 PM

Avoid! !

you should be more careful, in more ways than one.