Sinn Fein? They have gone away, you know.

Started by Trevor Hill, January 18, 2010, 12:28:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 20, 2021, 12:07:59 AM
Murder is murder. If a civilian dies outside of that then there is never justification.

It doesn't matter if it happened 20 years ago or 200 years ago. Anyone who feels that time will make it ok is a fool

It's not just Ireland where you'll find this curiosity. Go to Mongolia and you'll find Genghas khans head on money, bottles of alcohol etc, yet the man wiped out 10% of the entire human race.

tiempo

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 20, 2021, 09:05:10 AM
Murder is murder. If a civilian dies outside of that then there is never justification.

It doesn't matter if it happened 20 years ago or 200 years ago. Anyone who feels that time will make it ok is a fool

It's not just Ireland where you'll find this curiosity. Go to Mongolia and you'll find Genghas khans head on money, bottles of alcohol etc, yet the man wiped out 10% of the entire human race.

Give GK a break, at least he was carbon neutral, has upwards of 20m descendents running amok in the world today

general_lee

Quote from: trailer on February 19, 2021, 10:58:27 PM
General Lee.........Southern slave states....No similarities though.......

For me it says everything........
Dukes of hazzard fan but keep trying

grounded

Yep, but to quote an old cliché ' history is written by the Victors '

Look at the fire bombing of Dresden by the allies. Plenty of apologists for that including one or two on this forum i'd guess.

RedHand88

Quote from: tiempo on February 20, 2021, 10:09:30 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 20, 2021, 09:05:10 AM

Give GK a break, at least he was carbon neutral, has upwards of 20m descendents running amok in the world today

1 in every 200 men or something carry his Y chromosome, up to 1 in 10 in China.
He knew it wasn't for stirring tae with...

Rossfan

Quote from: grounded on February 20, 2021, 12:46:27 PM

Look at the fire bombing of Dresden by the allies. Plenty of apologists for that including one or two on this forum i'd guess.

You could say the same about Le Mon!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Rossfan on February 20, 2021, 01:39:16 PM

Or sectarian purge by the Old IRA in Dunmanway.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

grounded

Yep, you're right. That's my point. Milltown has it 100% right. All murder of civilians is morally wrong and should be condemned.
         Unfortunately thats not the way it works. Morally unforgiveable acts like Dresden were justified ' for the greater good ' and to limit the loss of allied troops. Ditto Horishima and Nagasaki.
         The allies won. They got to say what was morally justified. They got to call out the Nazis for the cruel bast@rds they were and rightly so.
       If the axis had of won the reverse would be true. The genocide they perpetrated against the Jewish, gypsy, Slavic and other peoples would have brushed under the carpet
       Whats the lesson? Might is right and don't be on the loosing side?

Main Street

Quote from: grounded on February 20, 2021, 06:53:06 PM

Yep, you're right. That's my point. Milltown has it 100% right. All murder of civilians is morally wrong and should be condemned.
         Unfortunately thats not the way it works. Morally unforgiveable acts like Dresden were justified ' for the greater good ' and to limit the loss of allied troops. Ditto Horishima and Nagasaki.
         The allies won. They got to say what was morally justified. They got to call out the Nazis for the cruel bast@rds they were and rightly so.
       If the axis had of won the reverse would be true. The genocide they perpetrated against the Jewish, gypsy, Slavic and other peoples would have brushed under the carpet

You all should brush up on your  understanding of WW2 history before offering glib references. But perhaps  that just exemplifies the  paucity of informed debate which burdens this thread  ;D

The London  blitz bombing  was a failed tactic in WW2 to begin with and in the end  managed to achieve the opposite of what was intended . The carpet bombing of German cities did not work for the Allies cause either, it was an expression of the madness of Bomber Harris.  It had no effect on the outcome of WW2.  It was a total waste of human and material resources. There was no justification for Dresden and  there was no military positive benefit either.
WW2 was won in all the other theatres , nothing was achieved militarily  by carpet bombing of civilian areas.

grounded

Quote from: Main Street on February 20, 2021, 09:13:26 PM
Quote from: grounded on February 20, 2021, 06:53:06 PM

You all should brush up on your  understanding of WW2 history before offering glib references. But perhaps  that just exemplifies the  paucity of informed debate which burdens this thread  ;D

The London  blitz bombing  was a failed tactic in WW2 to begin with and in the end  managed to achieve the opposite of what was intended . The carpet bombing of German cities did not work for the Allies cause either, it was an expression of the madness of Bomber Harris.  It had no effect on the outcome of WW2.  It was a total waste of human and material resources. There was no justification for Dresden and  there was no military positive benefit either.
WW2 was won in all the other theatres , nothing was achieved militarily  by carpet bombing of civilian areas.

I think you've missed the point.
      Perhaps you could help me brush up on my knowledge of ww2 by pointing out were any of the top brass in either of the British or Us Armed forces/government ever condemned the ' madness of bomber Harris ' as you put it?

trailer

I see Minister Murphy on TV yesterday asking for new taxes in NI. What is most scary is that he wouldn't look at the NICS and see one of the easiest ways to save money would be for at least 10% of the workforce to be made redundant. The NICS and our government here in general waste huge amounts of money every single year. Look at the schemes that they came up with, RHI for example. Look at the costs for this troubles pension... over 1.2 billion!!

I don't know what planet SF and Conor Murphy are on but raising taxes in NI unilaterally is f**king madness. Someone in SF needs to shout stop.

Rossfan

The Brits reducing their "laziness" subvention?

trailer

This is a taste of what's coming in the South. When they get into government at the next election, it'll be huge tax rises and new taxes all round.

Louther

Quote from: trailer on March 08, 2021, 11:55:42 AM
This is a taste of what's coming in the South. When they get into government at the next election, it'll be huge tax rises and new taxes all round.

Ah, part of me would like to see them on power because it will be the last time as they'd not deliver and leave their base support who would vote them into power in a worse position. They pitching to workers now and getting support there but never commit to what their cut off point is for what they define as "working class" is. They'd hammer these with addition taxes and struggle to attract FDI.

On the flip side, I don't think they actually see themselves in power and happy to sit on fence and be in opposition. I'd imagine Mary Lou prays every night her thanks that they didn't run enough candidates the last time and look to form a government with what has happened with Covid since.

We don't have many great politicians in many parties or in Government, or rather have too many more interested in the political game, but SF have no depth at all bar 3/4 at top and rest are local councillors pushed up the line to contest seats that where won by party profile rather than individuals. Happens a lot in elections but can't see how they could run a ministry.

Rossfan