Car for family of 5

Started by mylestheslasher, May 12, 2013, 09:50:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Hi all. Hopefully some of you have been in my situation and so can save me from making a mistake. I've 3 kids ages 6, 3 and 4 months. The four month old uses a car chair using the Isofix points in the car. The other two are (or should be) in booster seats with backs on them. The missus has a 5 seater outlander, which is a big enough yoke, however when the Isofix base and chair go in one side and the booster on the other there is hardly any space in between so my poor eldest has to sit cruched up. Really the problem is that most of these modern cars only have 2.5 seats in the back and not 3 full ones.

So I am thinking of changing. Ideally I want them all in the back seat as it leaves the boot free for gear when we go on longer journeys. However, I am struggling to find any vehicle that can take the 3 seats above in the back. The only one that looks promising is the Peugeot 5008, which is a 7 seater, but I think the 3 seats will fit in the middle row so no need to use the other 2. I'd prefer not to have to put any of the kids in the "boot" seats of any 7 seater but that might be the only other option.

Anyone got any ideas?

lawnseed

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 12, 2013, 09:50:35 AM
Hi all. Hopefully some of you have been in my situation and so can save me from making a mistake. I've 3 kids ages 6, 3 and 4 months. The four month old uses a car chair using the Isofix points in the car. The other two are (or should be) in booster seats with backs on them. The missus has a 5 seater outlander, which is a big enough yoke, however when the Isofix base and chair go in one side and the booster on the other there is hardly any space in between so my poor eldest has to sit cruched up. Really the problem is that most of these modern cars only have 2.5 seats in the back and not 3 full ones.

So I am thinking of changing. Ideally I want them all in the back seat as it leaves the boot free for gear when we go on longer journeys. However, I am struggling to find any vehicle that can take the 3 seats above in the back. The only one that looks promising is the Peugeot 5008, which is a 7 seater, but I think the 3 seats will fit in the middle row so no need to use the other 2. I'd prefer not to have to put any of the kids in the "boot" seats of any 7 seater but that might be the only other option.

Anyone got any ideas?
wait til you get number 4!!! been there done that the car problem will cost you loads. ive tried most of them and blew a good few quid in the process. try toyota avensis verso but they are pricey. avoid merc the fresh ones are shite. peugeot gives its share of problems. vaxuall zafira petrol are not too bad`the diesel ones are troublesome. use 'what car' and which. what kind of mileage are you doing maybe a rav 4 or a suzuki jeep would let you away
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

bridgegael

did u look at the quasqai2. they seem to be very spacious in the back
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: bridgegael on May 12, 2013, 09:56:28 AM

I did. Won't get my three seats in the back, still 2.5 seats. It would be an option if I used the 2 boot seats. Nice car otherwise, test drove one yesterday.

laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 12, 2013, 09:59:40 AM

I did. Won't get my three seats in the back, still 2.5 seats. It would be an option if I used the 2 boot seats. Nice car otherwise, test drove one yesterday.

Looking at a +2 myself.
Did you like the Outlander? Have considered one aswell.
The 5008 are a lovely car to drive, a friend has one and he also has three kids like yourself, plenty of space in them.
Peugeot aren't a bad brand, we have a 308 at home and have never had any bother with it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thejuice

This is what we had. We often got 8 into it.

Cars in the 80's must have been so much safer since it wasn't necessary to put seats in for kids. Not like today's death traps. Sure you could even leave the youngest on her lap in the front it was that safe.

They just don't make them like they usta.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thejuice on May 12, 2013, 10:12:38 AM

This is what we had. We often got 8 into it.

Cars in the 80's must have been so much safer since it wasn't necessary to put seats in for kids. Not like today's death traps. Sure you could even leave the youngest on her lap in the front it was that safe.

They just don't make them like they usta.

This one was the job with 3 of us in the boot and 4 in the back seat, no need for Isofix seats and seat-belts, the craic we had taking corners on 2 wheels in this yoke was unreal, but my da was a mental driver!!!

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

This was our 'minibus' many a time, and not just for going to games in Belfast, we'd have hit the Glens in this taking up to 9 players FFS!!

After the game the driver would have had a couple of pints and off we went home!!! Oh they were the days
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

In ten years we will be wearing helmets in the car.

In twenty years we will be wearing helmets everywhere.

That gives me an idea.

Anyone know how to make helmets?
MWWSI 2017

Milltown Row2

Quote from: muppet on May 12, 2013, 10:38:41 AM
In ten years we will be wearing helmets in the car.

In twenty years we will be wearing helmets everywhere.

That gives me an idea.

Anyone know how to make helmets?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roUYCbzYkvY
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mylestheslasher

Quote from: laoislad on May 12, 2013, 10:11:55 AM

Looking at a +2 myself.
The 5008 are a lovely car to drive, a friend has one and he also has three kids like yourself, plenty of space in them.
Peugeot aren't a bad brand, we have a 308 at home and have never had any bother with it.

Thanks for info on the 5008, I am leaning towards it but there are damn all of them in Ireland 2nd hand and those that are seems to be all down south which isnt manageable for me. I see there are a few up north but they'll not take a southern yoke as a trade in.

Outlander is a decent machine. Its probably the best of the mid price jeeps and has the 4x4 option on it. Ours is an 0 and is 740e to tax. The new version is 280e but the damn thing is 38k new so its hard to justify over say a qashqai which, although smaller, is 10k less. I drove an outlander yesterday too, again I like it but can't see what an extra 10k gets me and I still wont get three seats in the back.

mylestheslasher

Lads when we were being crammed into those cars the roads were less busy, you couldn't go  too fast on them as they were in shite condition, there were hardly any high powered cars. Things are a lot different now as you all know. For the same reasons people don't let their kids cycle on the roads anymore to go to school. While we might all think the world is gone mad would you still pile your own kids into a car that way? I doubt it. Anyway that's probably for another thread.

Anyone got a Ford S max?

oakleafgael

Have a new model Seat Alhambra since last Feb, very pleased with it to date. Averaging in the high 40's in day to day use and over 50 on long runs. We have a 4 year old, 3 year old, one turning two in June and an 8 month old. The bigger three comfortably fit across the middle row which are individual seats and can be slid back and forth as required. Plenty of room in the back row when its needed and it still leaves a decent boot when all 7 seats are in use. 20,000 mile service intervals as well. Very comfortable to drive.

laoislad

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 12, 2013, 10:45:41 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 12, 2013, 10:11:55 AM

Looking at a +2 myself.

Thanks for info on the 5008, I am leaning towards it but there are damn all of them in Ireland 2nd hand and those that are seems to be all down south which isnt manageable for me. I see there are a few up north but they'll not take a southern yoke as a trade in.

Outlander is a decent machine. Its probably the best of the mid price jeeps and has the 4x4 option on it. Ours is an 0 and is 740e to tax. The new version is 280e but the damn thing is 38k new so its hard to justify over say a qashqai which, although smaller, is 10k less. I drove an outlander yesterday too, again I like it but can't see what an extra 10k gets me and I still wont get three seats in the back.

€38k for a Outlander is expensive alright, A Range Rover Evoque starts at €39k so for a extra grand I'd go for a Range Rover if I had that sort of money to spend.
My mate paid €22k for a 2012 5008.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.