Long weekend break in Derry

Started by mylestheslasher, August 31, 2007, 07:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: hardstation on November 11, 2009, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 11, 2009, 08:34:18 PM
There was a pub in the city center I actually watched an Ireland game in when I did go. It had an Irish surname and had sort of two pubs joined in the ctr by a door.
Peadar O'Donnell's and the Gweedore Bar?

Yeh, O Donnells rings a bell. Didn't notice the Gweedore name.

ziggysego

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 11, 2009, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: hardstation on November 11, 2009, 08:37:13 PM
There was a pub in the city center I actually watched an Ireland game in when I did go. It had an Irish surname and had sort of two pubs joined in the ctr by a door.
Peadar O'Donnell's and the Gweedore Bar?

Yeh, O Donnells rings a bell. Didn't notice the Gweedore name.

Gweedore Bar is on Waterloo Street.

Isn't Peadar and Gweedore the same place?
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Yis are some clowns. Sure I started this thread 2 years ago!

I believe 5 sams is now asking the questions about Derry. There was a pub in the city center I actually watched an Ireland game in when I did go. It had an Irish surname and had sort of two pubs joined in the ctr by a door. Had good craic in there.

Take the tour of the city bus just for the historical innaccuracies - it will make you laugh (Apparently there is a monument in Derry for the british army and Irish army that fought in WW2!!)

There was a tour in the museum on the histroy of Derry too that was funny. If you were loyalist/unionist you turned left and read their version of history of the early 1900's. If you were nationalist/republican you went right and got a different story.

There is also an excellent museum in the bogside covering the civil rights struggle well worth a visit. I enjoyed my time in Derry.
How did Ireland get on in that match then?

Hardy

It's not really a long weekend in Derry . It just seems that way.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 11, 2009, 10:14:25 PM
Yis are some clowns. Sure I started this thread 2 years ago!

I believe 5 sams is now asking the questions about Derry. There was a pub in the city center I actually watched an Ireland game in when I did go. It had an Irish surname and had sort of two pubs joined in the ctr by a door. Had good craic in there.

Take the tour of the city bus just for the historical innaccuracies - it will make you laugh (Apparently there is a monument in Derry for the british army and Irish army that fought in WW2!!)

There was a tour in the museum on the histroy of Derry too that was funny. If you were loyalist/unionist you turned left and read their version of history of the early 1900's. If you were nationalist/republican you went right and got a different story.

There is also an excellent museum in the bogside covering the civil rights struggle well worth a visit. I enjoyed my time in Derry.
How did Ireland get on in that match then?

Can't remember - why?

thejuice

Hello, my wife is going to Derry for a hen night. She's flying to belfast and taking the Airporter bus. Just wondering where she needs to get off to be closest to the city centre. The stops are Altnagelvin, Claudy Crossroads, Dungiven, Maghera Flyover, Toome and the Junction One Retail Park as well as the bus station on Bay Road/culmore rd.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thejuice on February 18, 2015, 10:12:59 PM
Hello, my wife is going to Derry for a hen night. She's flying to belfast and taking the Airporter bus. Just wondering where she needs to get off to be closest to the city centre. The stops are Altnagelvin, Claudy Crossroads, Dungiven, Maghera Flyover, Toome and the Junction One Retail Park as well as the bus station on Bay Road/culmore rd.
Read your list backwards from airport to Derry. Junction One is near Belfast "International" Airport, about 60 miles away from Derry. Prob as handy going to the bus station and getting a taxi to the hotel.

JoG2

The airporter terminates at the culmore road, beside da vincis hotel. Airporter office will sort a taxi into the centre.

thejuice

Cheers for the replies. How much is a taxi to the town centre roughly? Also any good spots for lunch in the centre?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thejuice on February 18, 2015, 10:56:22 PM
Cheers for the replies. How much is a taxi to the town centre roughly? Also any good spots for lunch in the centre?
I wouldn't say it's much more than a mile, so a few quid.

theticklemister

When is she coming juice? I'm back from Liverpool for the week and I could go and meet her lad, I just live around the corner.

JoG2

Quote from: thejuice on February 18, 2015, 10:56:22 PM

Cafe del Mondo in the Craft Village...beuatiful feed and you get to tick the Craft Village off the list....thats 2 birds right there

Rois

Custom House restaurant is lovely if she's looking for a "ladies that lunch" kind of place.  Nice old building down kind of near the river. 

oakleaflad

Quote from: Rois on February 19, 2015, 04:18:07 PM
Custom House restaurant is lovely if she's looking for a "ladies that lunch" kind of place.  Nice old building down kind of near the river. 
Avoid Custom House unless you want to be waiting all day to be fed. Go to the Exchange instead.

theticklemister

Quote from: oakleaflad on February 19, 2015, 05:11:16 PM
Quote from: Rois on February 19, 2015, 04:18:07 PM
Avoid Custom House unless you want to be waiting all day to be fed. Go to the Exchange instead.

Yip. Good shout. Up there the day actually. Exchange, good place.

Probably best place is Peadars before 12 and then onto Metro if she wants a girly night out