FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 06, 2017, 02:37:12 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 06, 2017, 02:32:12 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 06, 2017, 02:24:52 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on September 06, 2017, 12:15:21 PM
So you can point to two passes in nearly 100mins of football? Point is you said that they kept the ball well, my point is they were allowed too in areas that werent of concern to Serbia.

O'Dowda one cross from numerous chances to get the ball into a dangerous area.

The approach didnt change the approach was evident from the get go, long balls down the channels for Long to run on too. No point dressing it up that is what is was, they arent the only international side to do it.
I'm tired. One last question. You believe that the Irish team's approach to the game was the same when Hoolahan was on the field as when he off it?

Isnt that what I just said, the approach is long ball down the channels, regardless of when Hoolahan was on the field or not. Obviously the propensity to hit the long ball was even more evident as the clock ran down and the pressure was coming on.
It is. I thought my eyes were deceiving me so I thought I'd just clarify. We'll leave it at that.

;)

magpie seanie

Do NI have more talented players than the ROI? I don't believe so. I like Roy and Martin but their tactics and selections are inconsistent and hard to understand. O'Neill's massive strength as a manager was getting everyone working together, great morale and really a "team" mentality. I'm not saying the lads don't have good morale or team ethic but perhaps MON's management style is not transferable to a scenario where he doesn't have the players day in day out?

Frustrating thing is last night was a reasonable performance against a good team which shows that Ireland can play. Why does it not happen against the lesser sides? Does MON simply believe it's easier to overpower them?

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 06, 2017, 03:32:11 PM
Do NI have more talented players than the ROI? I don't believe so. I like Roy and Martin but their tactics and selections are inconsistent and hard to understand. O'Neill's massive strength as a manager was getting everyone working together, great morale and really a "team" mentality. I'm not saying the lads don't have good morale or team ethic but perhaps MON's management style is not transferable to a scenario where he doesn't have the players day in day out?

Frustrating thing is last night was a reasonable performance against a good team which shows that Ireland can play. Why does it not happen against the lesser sides? Does MON simply believe it's easier to overpower them?

We quailifed fro the Euros, made the second round and gave France a right go under O'Neill. Still have this qualification in our own hands too. We're some yokes blaming the manager despite our dismal record of non-qualification for tournaments.

He's done a mostly excellent job with a very old group of bit players for Prem and Championship clubs.

AFS

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2017, 04:05:09 PM

We quailifed fro the Euros, made the second round and gave France a right go under O'Neill. Still have this qualification in our own hands too. We're some yokes blaming the manager despite our dismal record of non-qualification for tournaments.

He's done a mostly excellent job with a very old group of bit players for Prem and Championship clubs.

No we don't. Even with six points we'll have to rely on an upset or two in another group to make the playoffs.

Syferus

Quote from: AFS on September 06, 2017, 04:57:29 PM

No we don't. Even with six points we'll have to rely on an upset or two in another group to make the playoffs.

Trying to predict who will be the worst runner up with so many variables is mad this far out.

NetNitrate

Quote from: Syferus on September 06, 2017, 05:32:08 PM
Quote from: AFS on September 06, 2017, 04:57:29 PM

Trying to predict who will be the worst runner up with so many variables is mad this far out.

Anything can happen but our chances are further narrowed when you take into account we can only gain a potential 3 more points (as the points against Moldova would not count in Runners  Up sot). The team in 8th place above Wales has a potential 6 points to play for. And to secure the 3 points, we'd need to win away in Cardiff, a game that has 0-0 draw written all over it. So one more point does not get us above 9th, and even 3 may not be enough. Not in our hands.

Cunny Funt

Comparing the two Irish teams.

Northern Ireland have scored 16 goals in their 8 games that's 2 goals a game and have conceded just two goals both against Germany in a 2-0 defeat, so 7 clean sheets. The other night they had just 23% possession 3 shots on target and won 2-0.

Republic of Irelands defence is doing as well as expected with 6 goals conceded but just nine goals scored in their 8 games is the problem area and very few clear cut chances are created in games either. Wales will be unbeaten going into the final game i also think 0-0 is written all over that game.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 06, 2017, 08:06:20 PM

Northern Ireland have scored 16 goals in their 8 games that's 2 goals a game and have conceded just two goals both against Germany in a 2-0 defeat, so 7 clean sheets. The other night they had just 23% possession 3 shots on target and won 2-0.

Republic of Irelands defence is doing as well as expected with 6 goals conceded but just nine goals scored in their 8 games is the problem area and very few clear cut chances are created in games either. Wales will be unbeaten going into the final game i also think 0-0 is written all over that game.

Actually watched the Welsh game, they play at better standard than both Irish teams...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

No irish players are playing for top teams anymore, R Keane; D Irwin Man utd; P Mcgrath; S Staunton; A Townsend;Aston Villa;  R Houghton; P Babb, R Whelan; J McAteer; John Alridge; Liverpool; Damian Duff; Chelsea; R keane; G kelly (leeds who were strong at the time); who outside of Coleman playing for a strong team;

Capt Pat

We don't have the players at the moment especially attacking players. However when we had Duff and Robbie Keane we failed to qualify as well after 2002. Steve Staunton as manager has a lot to answer for.

Wales should beat us as well, we might get lucky and get the win but it is too little too late.

Syferus

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 06, 2017, 09:43:05 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 06, 2017, 08:06:20 PM

Actually watched the Welsh game, they play at better standard than both Irish teams...

Hard to say that when their record against all but Moldova is one win and five draws. Bang average, just like ourselves. Do-or-die brings out the best in us. Plenty of reason to expect us to put in the best shift of the campaign in Cardiff.

T Fearon

Does it matter? Both Irish teams would be an embarrassment currently at World Cup Finals,though the IFA and FAI only really care about the money qualification would bring.

On the other hand,emboldened by Mc Gregor's effort against Mayweather,maybe Martin O'Neill should send out the Dubs against Wales

mouview

Quote from: T Fearon on September 07, 2017, 07:49:58 AM
Does it matter? Both Irish teams would be an embarrassment currently at World Cup Finals,though the IFA and FAI only really care about the money qualification would bring.

On the other hand,emboldened by Mc Gregor's effort against Mayweather,maybe Martin O'Neill should send out the Dubs against Wales

The Norn at least would have a go at playing something approaching football. Then again, given that the World Cup nowadays has become a bang-average after-thought tournie, I doubt anyone would take much notice of Irelands' paucity.