The Luke "Ming" Flanagan Thread

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, March 08, 2011, 11:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

Read somewhere that he didn't rule out setting up his own new grouping if necessary.

macdanger2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 30, 2014, 08:32:14 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 29, 2014, 11:24:01 PM
Sorry, I must have misconstrued this as referring to non-Irish workers

I understand what foxcommander is saying on 'taking our jobs' as I now plenty of construction workers/tradesmen who were working in various sites, to be replaced by EU immigrants and non eu immigrants because they were cheaper
That refers to actual cases I know about ( I missed out my usual qualification about skilled/unskilled here - as that's my beef, not replacing unskilled workers with cheaper alternatives - that's just capitalism , which I'm all for)

But the issue that needs to be fixed could also be the reverse

Is it racist to point out actual examples?
I think you will find what I've said all along is that measures must be taken to stop unskilled replacing skilled, protecting rights of all workers and ensuring that unscrupulous builders no longer can get away with abuse and shoddy/unsafe work

That's fair enough Lynchboy and TBF it's a completely different stance than foxcommander has.

To answer your question, I would consider it racist to deliberately (as opposed to inadvertently in your case) only point out such examples of non-Irish people while ommiting the fact that it's independent of race/nationality.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2014, 05:18:16 PM
Anyone who is not a genuine refugee and is not allowed in the country, should not be allowed stay in the country. But throwing phrases like 'most of them are liars' or 'a lot' of refugees are not actual refugees is a pandering to the notion that these people are somehow responsible for what big builders and other chancers have done to the country.

Anyone who is an EU national deserves to be here. If they are undercutting Irish workers, then either Irish workers are pricing themselves out of the market (and in the boom that's exactly what they were doing) or else the employer is cutting the corners. And who are the employers?

I'm not a complete liberal, if you are not supposed to be in the country, then I'm sorry but you can't stay. If however you are a genuine hardship case, trying to flee from a country where you are either oppressed or starving, then I think there's nothing wrong with a humane approach to that question.
Az, your post is a bit like the curate's egg, it's good in parts.
I've no problem with genuine refugees or other EU nationals staying and working here but I certainly won't accept that all other non-EU people coming here are genuine asylum seekers. Many are economic refugees okay but not political ones.
Remember the craic a few years ago when the number of people seeking political asylum in the EU reached an all time high.
My understanding of the relevant laws is that the first member state they arrive in is obliged to look after them. But at one time there were hundreds of "asylum seekers" camped at the French entrance to the channel tunnel, attempting to get into Britain and quite probably here also.
The French didn't want to have any thing to do with them and  just passed them along. They flouted the law as do most other EU states. How else can one explain the numbers arriving here as this is definitely not the first EU port of call for many?
I know Irish emigrants are entering other, richer countries illegally and have been doing this for generations so it's  reasonable that others are doing the same to us. That's human nature for you!
Remember the last instance of volcanic ash?
The numbers of Polish citizens claiming social welfare payments  dipped dramatically. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why.
I don't know what social payments are in Poland but I'll wager that they aren't as good as they are here.
Some employers pay immigrants the minimum wage but make them work additional hours without pay that are not recorded.
Is this a widespread practice? I dunno but I know at least two supermarkets where this goes on and from anecdotal evidence I'm convinced that it is.
I don't now where Enda Kenny is getting his live register figures from but two taxi men who pick up at Dublin airport tell me that there are at least as many arriving to settle here as there are leaving the country to look for employment elsewhere.
You don't have to be a racist to look for a level playing field for all.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

deiseach

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2014, 10:09:45 AM
Remember the last instance of volcanic ash?
The numbers of Polish citizens claiming social welfare payments  dipped dramatically. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out why.

Citation needed.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 13, 2014, 10:09:45 AM
I don't now where Enda Kenny is getting his live register figures from but two taxi men who pick up at Dublin airport tell me that there are at least as many arriving to settle here as there are leaving the country to look for employment elsewhere.

Ah, that kind of 'citation'.

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on July 14, 2014, 08:40:00 PM
Here you go.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ash-cloud-crisis-exposes-welfare-tourists-26664210.html

Get my dole money wire transferred to me abroad? How do I get in on this one?

That just says around 3,500 less people signed on.

It doesn't state where they were from. The journalist fills those blanks in for us.

Quote"With this figure of 3,515 there is a certain number of people every signing day that do not show up because they forget to attend," said a department spokesperson.

"They may be unwell, they may have taken up employment or a holiday, so that 3,515 would include those people as well.

The Social Welfare spokesperson even speculates that it could be people on holiday. Couldn't that mean some Irish people?
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Here you go.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ash-cloud-crisis-exposes-welfare-tourists-26664210.html

We're talking about less than 2% of applicants there, a lot of whom may have been Irish people on holiday - yes, even people on the dole are entitled to take a holiday. The Social Welfare department spokeswomen:

Quote"It's increased on other weeks but it's not huge," she said.

I will accept that the numbers asking for their dole payments to be transferred abroad is a fecking liberty.

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2014, 09:01:25 PM
Here you go.

It doesn't state where they were from. The journalist fills those blanks in for us.

Quote"With this figure of 3,515 there is a certain number of people every signing day that do not show up because they forget to attend," said a department spokesperson.

"They may be unwell, they may have taken up employment or a holiday, so that 3,515 would include those people as well.

The Social Welfare spokesperson even speculates that it could be people on holiday. Couldn't that mean some Irish people?

Yes, you're right....because no-one would try fiddle the irish welfare system....

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on July 14, 2014, 09:08:49 PM
Here you go.

Yes, you're right....because no-one would try fiddle the irish welfare system....

Are you saying no Irish person would fiddle the Irish Welfare System?
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2014, 09:15:52 PM
Here you go.

Read what I wrote...you're far too quick to get on the bandwagon.

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on July 14, 2014, 09:25:27 PM
Here you go.

Which bandwagon would that be?
MWWSI 2017

foxcommander

Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2014, 10:03:29 PM
Here you go.

I think you know  :D
Now back to selling raffle tickets for SARI with you....

muppet

Quote from: foxcommander on July 14, 2014, 10:05:27 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2014, 10:03:29 PM
Here you go.

I think you know  :D
Now back to selling raffle tickets for SARI with you....

I was 100% sure you wouldn't answer that question. Which is why I asked it.  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

Foxcommader, which part of the Irish republic tax paying constituency do you reside ?