Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: thejuice on November 21, 2010, 10:45:31 PM
While I do my best to avoid X-Factor, much more offensive to the senses than the Poppy, I do feel Britain is turning much like the USA in its attempts to shift the focus of the masses.

Where the troops are now sacrosanct and their suffering has become a vehicle for propaganda for the illegal war. I find it strange that there seems to be no mention of the fact that they really shouldn't be in Afghanistan in the first place. Its always about these "poor brave soldiers", how does it get lost that their suffering is totally unnecessary as is, that of the people of Afghanistan.

Whatever about the horror inflicted on those involved in the war, the butchery carried out on David Bowies 'Heroes' was probably the most vile thing about the whole episode. Stop the X-Factors illegal war on music now.
It was horrendous
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Milltown Row2

The 'war' in Afghanistan and Iraq is wrong we all know that, no justification at all in my view.

the Politicians are the ones who should be personally notifying the families of these young men who are out fighting a war if they are injured or killed. Its senseless and will as they have always done prove fruitless.

For me i don't personally blame the British army, its the political parties that send these men out to a country that does not want them there. It will continue as long as the voters vote them in.

Do we hate every army or country that are in these countries of conflict?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: thejuice on November 21, 2010, 10:45:31 PM
While I do my best to avoid X-Factor, much more offensive to the senses than the Poppy, I do feel Britain is turning much like the USA in its attempts to shift the focus of the masses.

Where the troops are now sacrosanct and their suffering has become a vehicle for propaganda for the illegal war. I find it strange that there seems to be no mention of the fact that they really shouldn't be in Afghanistan in the first place. Its always about these "poor brave soldiers", how does it get lost that their suffering is totally unnecessary as is, that of the people of Afghanistan.

Whatever about the horror inflicted on those involved in the war, the butchery carried out on David Bowies 'Heroes' was probably the most vile thing about the whole episode. Stop the X-Factors illegal war on music now.

I've heard commentators say that the poppy should remind us all of the horror of the two world wars, and stop it happening again.

Yet, the british have marched off to war against (among others) Argentina, Iraq and the Taliban in Afghanistan.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

thejuice

But no one voted in favour of the war, no one wanted it.

In case anyone STILL thinks they are out there protecting the 'West' from terrorism:

http://centurean2.wordpress.com/2009/08/05/afghanistan-a-war-for-gas-and-oil-pipelines-2/
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Milltown Row2

No one believes they are protecting the West from terrorism.

If the British public were given the chance to vote for the war in Iraq or Afghanistan then i believe they would be home now.

What countries are the Irish army in at the minute?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thejuice

Interestingly enough this was in the paper;

QuoteIrish troops preparing for their role in the new year in the EU Nordic battlegroup are currently being put through their paces in an intensive training exercise in Sweden.

The aim of the exercise, codenamed Joint Action 2010, is to test the battlegroup's operational capability in the event of a deployment during the first half of next year.

The Defence Forces are contributing 153 personnel to the battlegroup and they will be joined by troops from Sweden, Estonia, Norway and Finland.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/irish-troops-on-exercises-in-sweden-2427225.html

And the new British-French military co-op on the go as well, is that old European Army thing that was a hot topic around the Lisbon treaty in the pipe-line. Probably not but a nice bit of fodder for the Euro-sceptics.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

theskull1

Lets be honest here the british public are more interested in voting on the Xf****r

Bill Hicks had this all worked out. Here he is talking about the John F. Kennedy assassination

Go back to bed, America. Your government has figured out how it all transpired. Go back to bed, America. Your government is in control again. Here. Here's American Gladiators. Watch this, shut up. Go back to bed, America. Here is American Gladiators. Here is 56 channels of it! Watch these pituitary retards bang their f**king skulls together and congratulate you on living in the land of freedom. Here you go, America! You are free to do as we tell you! You are free to do what we tell you!

Another relevant sketch of his also on the first iraq war
You know we armed Iraq. I wondered about that too, you know. During the Persian Gulf war, those intelligence reports would come out: "Iraq: incredible weapons – incredible weapons." "How do you know that?" "Uh, well ... we looked at the receipts. But as soon as that check clears, we're goin' in. What time's the bank open? Eight? We're going in at nine. We're going in for God and country and democracy and here's a fetus and he's a Hitler. Whatever you f**king need, let's go. Get motivated behind this, let's go!"

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

thejuice

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 21, 2010, 11:16:19 PM
If the British public were given the chance to vote for the war in Iraq or Afghanistan then i believe they would be home now.

And that fact alone makes me more wary of the whole attention the suffering of the soldiers is getting. The media focus, especially using something like X-Factor which has a huge grip on the public's attention has shifted away from the war and more on "Get Behind Our Boys".

I remember last year during the poppy-fest was on the go and Gordon Brown and all the others putting wreaths down and looking all solemn and talking about sacrifice and it stink of shite then as it's starting to become unbearable now.

Evil Genius

Well, it's the 25th October and I saw my first Poppies for sale today - bought one, too.

It was in the Chemists. An Asian-owned Chemists. In England. I'm disappointed that NI got beaten to it - must do better next year, if we're to keep Nationalists feeling intimidated and oppressed.

And if I'm honest, I'm feeling a wee bit disappointed that my gesture in wearing one isn't going to achieve the maximum effect.

Fortunately I'm due back in NI at the weekend, so I'll make sure and wear mine prominently, so as to be able to "force it down peoples throat" [sic] properly.

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 25, 2011, 08:42:48 PM
Well, it's the 25th October and I saw my first Poppies for sale today - bought one, too.

It was in the Chemists. An Asian-owned Chemists. In England. I'm disappointed that NI got beaten to it - must do better next year, if we're to keep Nationalists feeling intimidated and oppressed.

And if I'm honest, I'm feeling a wee bit disappointed that my gesture in wearing one isn't going to achieve the maximum effect.

Fortunately I'm due back in NI at the weekend, so I'll make sure and wear mine prominently, so as to be able to "force it down peoples throat" [sic] properly.

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)

Scotland beat everyone to it, McCoist had one on at the weekend
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Minder

I saw someone wearing one almost two weeks ago.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Nally Stand

Quote from: Minder on October 25, 2011, 08:48:45 PM
I saw someone wearing one almost two weeks ago.

Margaret Ritchie?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Milltown Row2

One of my students had one on today, I never give it a second thought

stew

Faugh a Ballagh!  ;)

Wear it with pride son, I have no issue with you wearing a poppy, I could not care less what you wear.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Faugh a Ballagh;) Fág an Bealach

O is it that time of year again, pointless triumphalism and an inability to realise the romantic empire is dead and gone, its with old Cromwell in his grave.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.