Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Maguire01,

Alex Maskey was acting in his capacity as Mayor when he laid his wreath. His wreath was also not a poppy one. He laid a laurel wreath with an inscription of:
"In memory of all the men who made the supreme sacrifice at the Battle of the Somme and during the First World War and in recognition of the sorrow, suffering and sense of loss of their relatives, friends and comrades".

Ritchie, acting in her capacity as stoop leader, wore an emblem which commemorates, and is used as a fund raiser for ALL british veterans. This was a WW commemoration yes, but why not follow Alex Maskey's lead and lay a wreath or simply be in attendance, if remembrance of WW1 was her honest objective, rather than wear a symbol representative of every british army veteran of every british army campaign of occupation, terrorism and imperialism?

From what I can see, it is yet one more sad instance of the stoops stooping lower as they slowly but surely morph into a UUP/Alliance Party blend.

I wonder how the families of Ireland's many british army victims felt yesterday watching a "nationalist" (I use the term lightly) "leader" (again, I use the term lightly) adorn herself with a poppy.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Banana Man

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 15, 2010, 10:25:59 AM
Maguire01,

Alex Maskey was acting in his capacity as Mayor when he laid his wreath. His wreath was also not a poppy one. He laid a laurel wreath with an inscription of:
"In memory of all the men who made the supreme sacrifice at the Battle of the Somme and during the First World War and in recognition of the sorrow, suffering and sense of loss of their relatives, friends and comrades".
Ritchie, acting in her capacity as stoop leader, wore an emblem which commemorates, and is used as a fund raiser for ALL british veterans. This was a WW commemoration yes, but why not follow Alex Maskey's lead and lay a wreath or simply be in attendance, if remembrance of WW1 was her honest objective, rather than wear a symbol representative of every british army veteran of every british army campaign of occupation, terrorism and imperialism?

From what I can see, it is yet one more sad instance of the stoops stooping lower as they slowly but surely morph into a UUP/Alliance Party blend.

I wonder how the families of Ireland's many british army victims felt yesterday watching a "nationalist" (I use the term lightly) "leader" (again, I use the term lightly) adorn herself with a poppy.

that was exactly my point, some lads here need to open their eyes

theskull1

Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 10:47:05 AM
that was exactly my point, some lads here need to open their eyes

:)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

lynchbhoy

maybe there should be some kind of 'joining together' in the 'sprit' of embracing all sides of the communities....we should honour all of our fallen dead - from ancient celtic warriors and before, to ww1 and ww2, modern day rebels from early part of the 20th century and our more recent IRA/UVF etc etc
that way all sides have their heroes/soldiers remembered and the poppy symbol will no longer be divisive...

seafoid

It is only right to remember the cannon fodder of the 2 world wars but the poppy is about more than that.

The British war machine is now murdering civilians in Afghanistan and that's as much part of remembrance day as the somme in 1916. I never liked the poppy. Too much hypocrisy.  This was in today's Sun.

"PRINCE William paid heartfelt tribute to Britain's fallen heroes yesterday - as he spent Remembrance Sunday in Afghanistan. His visit to Camp Bastion in Helmand Province had been kept a close secret for his safety. So 2,500 British and Commonwealth troops were surprised and delighted when the Prince joined them for their parade ground service.  He solemnly saluted after laying a poppy wreath at the camp's memorial to lost comrades.   And, as the Queen led the traditional remembrance ceremony at the Cenotaph in Whitehall, 28-year-old William paid tribute to the nation's backing for its heroes.
He said in an interview: "The country is as fervent today in its support for our Armed Forces and the sacrifices that they make as it has ever been.   "The awareness of what young men and women are doing for us in the most extreme and hostile environments imaginable is striking and moving.  "I find this remarkable and, frankly, humbling."
William, an RAF Search and Rescue chopper pilot, honoured two of his friends yesterday.   A poignant message on his wreath said: "For Jo, Lex and all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country."  Joanna Dyer, 24, was a fellow officer cadet at Sandhurst. She joined the Intelligence Corps but was killed in 2007 in Iraq.   Major Lex Roberts, 32, of the Royal Gurkha Rifles, was William's mentor at Sandhurst. He also died in 2007, victim of a roadside bomb in Afghanistan. The Prince attended his funeral.
Defence Secretary Liam Fox, who was with William at Camp Bastion, said: "When you are talking about the sacrifices, this is where they are made.   "This is where it's at its most raw, its most painful and its most proud."   The troops - told of William's visit only 15 minutes before he arrived - included old pals. One, a Lynx helicopter pilot, said: "I know him from flying training when he came through with the Army Air Corps at Middle Wallop. He remembered us - it's a small world."
William's trip took him one step closer to fulfilling his ambition of serving on the frontline - as his soldier brother Harry already has. "

Pointless deaths in Afghanistan and nothing to be proud of. When they pull out of Afghanistan they won't have achieved anything. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

Saw a guy wearing one as he past me in gordons chemist earlier. Now that
Rememberance Sunday is over, when are they put away?

Rossfan

I see some of those commemorating the Connaught(sic) Rangers in Boyle yesterday were wearing the hated poppy symbol of the British Murder Machine  >:( >:( :(
Why the fcuk can they not simply remember the men from the former Regiment who died without strutting around with that hated yoke stuck on their coats.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 09:01:49 AM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 07:50:14 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 15, 2010, 12:42:46 AM

::)
Again, the difference between this and Alex Maskey laying a wreath at the City Hall?

For a start Alex Maskey is better looking  :D
Genius.

Maskey led a wreath and not at the same time as the pomp and triumphalist ceremonial activities that Ritchie partook in. His was a wreath not a poppy, it was to acknowledge that yes, men did die, Irishmen among them and they deserve to be remembered. About that I think we can all agree. The point is she is wearing a poppy that represents just British servicemen and all wars that they fought in. There is a clear difference and yes it is pandering to maintain her votes.
Well she has stated the basis for her wearing it:
QuoteMs Ritchie, South Down MP, said her party believed in reconciliation on the island of Ireland and wanted to acknowledge Irish nationalists who fought in two world wars and had been airbrushed out of history.
"We have to reach out and I was doing that by reaching out to those who lost loved ones in both wars," she said.
"I simply see this as an act of remembrance, an act of respect, moving on and reaching out."

Some will agree, some won't. Although I wouldn't call it a 'triumphalist' ceremony.
It's no doubt part of the wider strategy to reach out to Unionists.

Maguire01

Quote from: deiseach on November 15, 2010, 09:12:14 AM

Again, the difference between this and Alex Maskey laying a wreath at the City Hall?

The difference is that Maskey's wreath-laying was part of his official duties as Lord Mayor. It was part of the job description. Margaret Ritchie chose to wear hers. Although given the overwhelming pressure on people to conform as exemplfied by the whole Donna Traynor incident, I'm not sure she was entirely free to choose. And that is the crucial point
Rubbish. Since when did Sinn Fein do something because it was "part of the job description"? The job description for Westminster says you sit in Westminster.
He did it because he wanted to - and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Banana Man

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:21:24 PM

Genius.

Maskey led a wreath and not at the same time as the pomp and triumphalist ceremonial activities that Ritchie partook in. His was a wreath not a poppy, it was to acknowledge that yes, men did die, Irishmen among them and they deserve to be remembered. About that I think we can all agree. The point is she is wearing a poppy that represents just British servicemen and all wars that they fought in. There is a clear difference and yes it is pandering to maintain her votes.
QuoteMs Ritchie, South Down MP, said her party believed in reconciliation on the island of Ireland and wanted to acknowledge Irish nationalists who fought in two world wars and had been airbrushed out of history.
"We have to reach out and I was doing that by reaching out to those who lost loved ones in both wars," she said.
"I simply see this as an act of remembrance, an act of respect, moving on and reaching out."

Some will agree, some won't. Although I wouldn't call it a 'triumphalist' ceremony.

maguire that's sugarcoating if ever i heard it  :D

outreach to unionists in this instance in your words is a pathetic attempt on spin of pandering and stooping for votes to maintain her unquenchable thirst for power and you know it well.

The Shinners appointed a dedicated party member to deal with unionist outreach long ago and work quietly behind the scenes, not strutting about a memorial, stoney faced with a flower hanging off their lapel

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 10:27:14 PM

Genius.

outreach to unionists in this instance in your words is a pathetic attempt on spin of pandering and stooping for votes to maintain her unquenchable thirst for power and you know it well.

The Shinners appointed a dedicated party member to deal with unionist outreach long ago and work quietly behind the scenes, not strutting about a memorial, stoney faced with a flower hanging off their lapel
And what has she achieved?

There are serious double standards at play. Gerry says a handful of protestants in West Belfast voted for him and it's hailed as a success (even if the claim itself was dubious). Thousands of protestants vote for Ritchie in South Down and it's a source of ridicule.

At the end of the day, you can mock, but if you're trying to convince Unionists that a United Ireland is a good idea, i'd put my money on Ritchie before Anderson.

Banana Man

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:38:33 PM

Genius.

There are serious double standards at play. Gerry says a handful of protestants in West Belfast voted for him and it's hailed as a success (even if the claim itself was dubious). Thousands of protestants vote for Ritchie in South Down and it's a source of ridicule.

At the end of the day, you can mock, but if you're trying to convince Unionists that a United Ireland is a good idea, i'd put my money on Ritchie before Anderson.

Tell me this Maguire, do you honestly and genuinely believe that a United Ireland is high on the agenda of Ritchie or even the SDLP for that matter?

Maguire01

Quote from: Banana Man on November 15, 2010, 10:44:29 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 15, 2010, 10:38:33 PM

Genius.

Tell me this Maguire, do you honestly and genuinely believe that a United Ireland is high on the agenda of Ritchie or even the SDLP for that matter?
It's as high on their agenda as anyone else's.
But it's not happening in the near future anyway, for any amount of reasons - anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves. So a long-term strategy is normalisation and integration.

Hereiam

I'm sorry but this woman hasn't a clue. She is counting on the young people who never really expearinced the troubles and are fresh voters to vote SDLP. They won't its as simple as that.

theskull1

Arguing about united irelands one minute then x-factor the next

Personally find it hard to take someone seriously when x factor takes up part his/her daily thoughts.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera