Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Minder on November 13, 2010, 10:51:37 PM
Did some bucko state MUFC were the only EPL team that wouldn't be tooling up this weekend? Lies.

with their white shirts it was the most obvious one today. Along with the Great Wall of China it's the only other thing which could be seen from the moon !
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: deiseach on November 13, 2010, 09:54:10 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 12, 2010, 03:18:15 AM
So I gave $5 for a poppy today. I didn't take one - am I still ok to post here/still an Irish man???

I attend a Remembrance Sunday service every year (although not tomorrow; I have a christening to attend where I'm expected to do something). The Irish version is diminished by the absence of Jerusalem, which is ace. I will cut up my passport.

Sell it man, sell it, ya might as well make some money out of it. Is there no recession down in Norman Waterford or what?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 13, 2010, 10:52:19 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2010, 10:29:20 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 08, 2010, 11:28:44 PM
Lads, I was feeling hungry last night and was too tired to cook something. I ordered in a chippy. The guy that delivered it, was wearing a Poppy. Just want to double check here first. Should I be aggrieved by this, or is it ok to let this one slide?
I know you like to sit on the fence but has it got that bad that you can't make up your own mind on something like this?
He is actually mocking people that get upset at the merest sight of a poppy.
I didn't know that because although I've only skimmed the thread I don't see anyone saying they get "upset" at the sight of a poppy. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

spanner

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 04, 2010, 01:12:36 PM
Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on November 04, 2010, 12:55:36 PM
Quote from: BerfArmagh on November 04, 2010, 12:37:26 PM
Mary Byrne & the young lad from west meath were wearing them on the xfactor. Shame on them

Good to see free choice is alive and well. If they want to wear them, so what and yes i know symbolisim etc. Plenty of Irish men in the ranks of the British Army over the years.
Money talks, all those Irish working in england wear them, its more a symbol of the irish licking the holes of brits, pandering for votes or money. I see it as selling your soul. Do they realise there supporting the comfortable retirement of all those brit soldiers who killed innocent people up North.
Is it complusary on brit tv to wear one?

My bold above.

Not forgetting that it wasn't only Brits and Loyalist Death Squads who killed innocent people up north?

As for wearing a Poppy.  I imagine that most people who do choose to wear it, would probably  do so in remembrance of those men and women ( Yes - including many Irish volunteers who didn't want to be ruled by a Fascist regime) who died in two World Wars so that most of Western Europe including Ireland, wouldn't be speaking German today.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2010, 10:25:17 PM
So I gave $5 for a poppy today. I didn't take one - am I still ok to post here/still an Irish man???
I dont think Canadian forces killed too many in Ireland so I'd say you're alright.

So is it OK to support Canadian forces if you're in the UK?
Is it an issue because money raised from these sales goes to the British army?
Is it then OK to wear a poppy provided you didnt pay for it?
Assuming (dangerously so) yes to these questions, surely there wouldnt be a problem with people on the tv wearing poppies, that surely they dont pay for???
Hasta la victoria siempre

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on November 14, 2010, 12:04:34 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 13, 2010, 10:25:17 PM
I dont think Canadian forces killed too many in Ireland so I'd say you're alright.

So is it OK to support Canadian forces if you're in the UK?
Is it an issue because money raised from these sales goes to the British army?
Is it then OK to wear a poppy provided you didnt pay for it?
Assuming (dangerously so) yes to these questions, surely there wouldnt be a problem with people on the tv wearing poppies, that surely they dont pay for???
Are you asking me?

1. I don't care (gabs in Canada btw)
2. An issue for who? Personally I wouldn't contribute to the British Army.
3. I wouldn't wear a poppy no matter who paid for it.
4. I don't have a problem with anyone wearing a poppy as long as their reasons are sincere. I have a problem with poppy fascism and people who want to mark their territory. 

Nally Stand

Quote from: spanner on November 13, 2010, 11:19:27 PM
Mary Byrne & the young lad from west meath were wearing them on the xfactor. Shame on them

Good to see free choice is alive and well. If they want to wear them, so what and yes i know symbolisim etc. Plenty of Irish men in the ranks of the British Army over the years.
Money talks, all those Irish working in england wear them, its more a symbol of the irish licking the holes of brits, pandering for votes or money. I see it as selling your soul. Do they realise there supporting the comfortable retirement of all those brit soldiers who killed innocent people up North.

My bold above.

Not forgetting that it wasn't only Brits and Loyalist Death Squads who killed innocent people up north?

As for wearing a Poppy.  I imagine that most people who do choose to wear it, would probably  do so in remembrance of those men and women ( Yes - including many Irish volunteers who didn't want to be ruled by a Fascist regime) who died in two World Wars so that most of Western Europe including Ireland, wouldn't be speaking German today.

The discussion is about poppies. Hence the relevance of brits murdering in Ireland.

If you are trying to stir sh1t, at least do so in terms relevant to the discussion ffs.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2010, 12:29:31 AM

My bold above.

The discussion is about poppies. Hence the relevance of brits murdering in Ireland.

If you are trying to stir sh1t, at least do so in terms relevant to the discussion ffs.
He's trying desperately all evening to get someone to bite and you're going to give it to him...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 14, 2010, 12:35:42 AM
Quote from: Nally Stand on November 14, 2010, 12:29:31 AM

My bold above.

He's trying desperately all evening to get someone to bite and you're going to give it to him...

I'd rather wear 1,000 PSNI GAA jersies than a single Poppy tbh.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 13, 2010, 10:54:08 PM
Did some bucko state MUFC were the only EPL team that wouldn't be tooling up this weekend? Lies.

with their white shirts it was the most obvious one today. Along with the Great Wall of China it's the only other thing which could be seen from the moon !

I don't think United wore them last year against Chelsea so I was a bit disgusted to see it this year. Just saw Tevez wearing one. Bet that will play well in Argentina!

thebigfella

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 14, 2010, 06:09:59 AM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 13, 2010, 10:54:08 PM

I don't think United wore them last year against Chelsea so I was a bit disgusted to see it this year. Just saw Tevez wearing one. Bet that will play well in Argentina!

FFS I can understand to a certain point some of the Celtic scum fans getting wound up but getting wound up cause an English club has it on their jersey, catch a grip.

lurganblue

Seanie, I was watching a show about maradona last week in which he outlined the hatred the players felt towards England before the 86 game because of the recent war. I was just thinking would tevez wear one this weekend. Can't believe he did

seanmacdiarmada

Lads, I work in the BBC, on the 11th there was a 2 minute silence in the office, I simply logged myself out of the computer and went to the toilet for 2 minutes, there was about 4 people in my office out of 20 or so wearing a poppy...on Easter I wear my Lilly for the whole week of Easter, I had only one complaint about that last year, i refused to remove it due to the poppy issue and no more was said, I have no problem with the ordinary working class unionist or Stoops (as they know no better) people wearing a poppy, I do get annoyed tho when I see the likes of Colin Farrell, Frank Mitchell (big Down GAA man, yeah rite) and the other so-called Irish celebrities who wear the poppy just because they are told to.

reddgnhand

My bold above.

And what kind of regime was the brits running here?

Bord na Mona man

The Daily Mail has orchestrated a campaign to get all football clubs wearing the poppy.
It has been rounding on clubs that don't and declaring victory for each one that relents.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1225325/Poppy-power-Now-Premier-clubs-refusing-Sportsmails-campaign-honour-heroes.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1324698/A-simple-message-Manchester-United-Why-wont-wear-poppy-pride.html

United and Liverpool were the final ones to give in this year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1325026/A-set-Manchester-United-join-proud-poppy-club.html

Far from symbol of respectful remembrance, this sort of jingoistic drum banging is turning the poppy into the new Union Jack.

However we shouldn't underestimate that while English people are generally clued in and usually healthily cynical, when it comes to subjects like history and their armed forces, dissent from the party line is not so common.