Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: snoopdog on November 09, 2010, 09:42:41 PM
Lads i would have my opinions on Poppys and i wouldnt buy one. But i feel this linki is a bit pointless and maybe even hypocritical. How many of us have relatives who fought in World War 1 or 2 or even both.
I am all for remembering the dead of those 2 wars, alot of them were Irish and they died for a cause against a greater evil.
But im sure some people posting on this site would have prefered if the Nazis had won the war.
I just think people get annoyed every year over this whole poppy thing and for what.
The irish on tv in the uk that wear it most of them havent a clue what happened in the north during the troubles, wewere put to the back of their minds as it didnteffect the vast majority of them.
maybe it would serve better to educate them on the troubles than getting all hot and bothered as these guys arent really making a statement as they prob are not really sure what it is all about.
i have lived down here long enough to know the vast majority dont really know what the troubles were about.

ON another note Manchester United will be the only club in the premiership not to have a poppy sewn on to their shirts this weekend.

And I would suggest that if an emblem were produced which would be specific to those lost in the world wars, then the Irish people could wear them happily however the poppy appeal is not specific to WW veterans. It is also worn in support of, and for the financial benefit of, the scumbags who ran rampage in Ireland/Afghanistan/Iraq.

i have lived down here long enough to know the vast majority dont really know what the troubles were about.

It's to the shame of many (most?) in the south who don't know and don't want to know about the injustices and bloodshed (from both sides) which occurred in our own country. Sure as long as my county is one of the 26 free one's who gives a f**k about the north. Free-Stateism at it's worst.

ON another note Manchester United will be the only club in the premiership not to have a poppy sewn on to their shirts this weekend.
Why's that Snoop? Pity Celtic and plenty more besides wouldn't do likewise and not bow to poppy fascism.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armagho9

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 09, 2010, 09:37:32 PM
Quote from: armagho9 on November 09, 2010, 09:20:37 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 09, 2010, 09:07:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on November 09, 2010, 08:44:27 PM
Other than on TV / in the paper, I can't recall ever seeing anyone wear an Easter Lilly.

At easter in Killeshandra when I was in my early 20's they used to sell easter lillys in the pubs and most would buy them (except the protestants) but it seems to have died a death. Can't remember the last time I saw them on sale. Maybe we should form a cult demanding everyone wears them or else...

still happens in Armagh town and most people still get them
Most people? Really?

well i have never counted but certainly alot

armagho9

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 09:53:34 PM
Lads i would have my opinions on Poppys and i wouldnt buy one. But i feel this linki is a bit pointless and maybe even hypocritical. How many of us have relatives who fought in World War 1 or 2 or even both.
I am all for remembering the dead of those 2 wars, alot of them were Irish and they died for a cause against a greater evil.
But im sure some people posting on this site would have prefered if the Nazis had won the war.
I just think people get annoyed every year over this whole poppy thing and for what.
The irish on tv in the uk that wear it most of them havent a clue what happened in the north during the troubles, wewere put to the back of their minds as it didnteffect the vast majority of them.
maybe it would serve better to educate them on the troubles than getting all hot and bothered as these guys arent really making a statement as they prob are not really sure what it is all about.

And I would suggest that if an emblem were produced which would be specific to those lost in the world wars, then the Irish people could wear them happily however the poppy appeal is not specific to WW veterans. It is also worn in support of, and for the financial benefit of, the scumbags who ran rampage in Ireland/Afghanistan/Iraq.

It's to the shame of many (most?) in the south who don't know and don't want to know about the injustices and bloodshed (from both sides) which occurred in our own country. Sure as long as my county is one of the 26 free one's who gives a f**k about the north. Free-Stateism at it's worst.

Why's that Snoop? Pity Celtic and plenty more besides wouldn't do likewise and not bow to poppy fascism.

unfortunately alot of people seem to think it is only to do with the world wars

rosnarun

Quote from: haranguerer on November 09, 2010, 08:55:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 07:46:42 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2010, 11:51:04 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 01:21:09 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 08, 2010, 11:25:22 PM
Keith Woods wore one on BBC for the Ireland game, it made me sick.

You're not supposed to eat them.  ::)

Well I defiantly found it hard to swallow.   ;)

You can't beat a bit of defiance.

(Who's Keith Woods?
)

Thats not Keith Woods

look at the shape of the ball that all you need to know
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

muppet

Ireland is going bankrupt and there are people more worried about other people wearing flowers.

Come to think of it that is probably why were are going bankrupt.......
MWWSI 2017

Bogball XV

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:34:12 PMI think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about the BBC's Britishness, rather they're complaining about the fact that people appearing on the media are being forced to wear a poppy.

You chose that line of debate, citing Jon Snow, who will only wear his for one day.

I am referring to those who seem to take offense at anything British, while watching British TV.
[/quote]

You are still missing the point. Firstly, I never cited Jon Snow, but the issue is that of presenters and people appearing on the media being forced to wear a poppy, with particular reference to Irish people. I haven't seen one person here complain about British people wearing them, if they choose to do so.
[/quote]

Sorry it was Doogie Browser citing Jon Snow. Confused the names.

Firstly is there any proof that Irish people are being 'forced' to wear poppies? That is what you say the issue is.

Secondly do you see the hypocrisy of giving out about 'British' things while watching British TV. What do you expect? Tracy Piggott always wears Shamrock, on RTE, on Paddy's Day. If any english person gave out about that they would be laughed out of it, and if a Unionist gave we'd have a field day.
[/quote]
I heard Robert Ballagh say that Donna Trainer (sic?) on BBC NI was threatened with the sack if she didn't wear one - can't comment on the veracity or otherwise of that, but I know that such is the extent of the poppy facism, it would most likely have been intimated to her.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: rosnarun on November 09, 2010, 10:26:09 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on November 09, 2010, 08:55:17 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 07:46:42 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 09, 2010, 11:51:04 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 09, 2010, 01:21:09 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on November 08, 2010, 11:25:22 PM
Keith Woods wore one on BBC for the Ireland game, it made me sick.

You're not supposed to eat them.  ::)

Well I defiantly found it hard to swallow.   ;)

You can't beat a bit of defiance.

(Who's Keith Woods?
)

Thats not Keith Woods

look at the shape of the ball that all you need to know

Are you lads being pedantic, thats Keith Woods
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

snoopdog

Quote from: Nally Stand on November 09, 2010, 09:53:34 PM

Im not totally sure why. I think it is more to do with the reason that one of the tabloids was pressuruising teams into wearing it. United just said they didnt need to wear it to show support.
They played Chelsea at stamford bridge last year and the pensioners got upset
Maybe they will wear it this year but i read somewhere that they wont.

Milltown Row2

Bogball, if that is true then the BBC would be open to a serious court action, wearing a poppy would be a choice I'd imagine she takes herself. Radio and TV presenters say Londonderry are they also being forced to say that also??

Getting beyond a joke, who really gives a flying FCUK??? Sad sad sad. Maybe when we stop thinking about other religions and worry about things that really matter in life then Ireland could be in a better place.

Living through the troubles was enough for me. seeing some of the things that went on over those years is a place where I wouldn't want to bring my kids up in. But if the hatered still continues (as it does on this board) I'd have no problem leaving.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

rosnarun

what have poppies got to do with religion?
they are a celebration of englands war efforts and the soldiers that survive them.. that includes the Irish Wars and the mercenaries from Eire that fought for them.
support it if you will but call a spade a spade and dont't try and Drag religion into it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: rosnarun on November 09, 2010, 11:14:55 PM
what have poppies got to do with religion?
they are a celebration of englands war efforts and the soldiers that survive them.. that includes the Irish Wars and the mercenaries from Eire that fought for them.
support it if you will but call a spade a spade and dont't try and Drag religion into it

I don't often argee with Rosnarun but I find the Poppy disturbing they provide financial support for groups that have done terrible things in Ireland. I have no problem with people Irish or otherwise commemorating war dead. I may even attend such a commemoration, but I will not provide financial support. Despite what people say and despite some (in more recent times) French and Germans wearing them, it is a symbol of the British Empire and the British Commonwealth that does not sit easily with me. Irish people are clearly being strong armed into wearing them on U.K. tv, I am sure many would out of choice but I am pretty sure many more would not.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Orior

Gusty Spence (probably wearing a poppy) calls the the UVF to be disbanded.

I reckon the UVF will give him the V sign and say F U.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fitzroyalty

What are peoples thoughts on an individual who wears TWO poppies?

Orior

Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 10, 2010, 12:22:56 AM

Twice as loyal, or else suffering from Alzheimer's
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Orior on November 10, 2010, 12:52:57 AM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 10, 2010, 12:22:56 AM

Twice as loyal, or else suffering from Alzheimer's

:D Nice one