Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: robertfisk on November 05, 2011, 09:39:01 PM
Bright red they were, with that particularly silly green leaf out of the top – it was never part of the original Lady Haig appeal – and not one dared to appear on screen without it. Do these pathetic men and women know how they mock the dead?

As a young boy, I also went to Ypres with my Dad, stayed at the "Old Tom Hotel" (it is still there, on the same side of the square as the Cloth Hall) and met many other "old soldiers", all now dead. I remember that they wanted to remember their dead comrades. But above all, they wanted an end to war. But now I see these pathetic creatures with their little sand-pit poppies – I notice that our masters inthe House of Commons do the same – and I despise them. Heaven be thanked that the soldiers of the Great War cannot return today to discover how their sacrifice has been turned into a fashion appendage.

That's about the height of it all.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Mont

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 05, 2011, 09:55:55 PM
The BBC have obviously relaxed their laws, or else Mark Sidebottom has said f**k yous, i will wear what i want

Louis obviously hasn't said that!

Minder

The BBC have obviously relaxed their laws, or else Mark Sidebottom has said f**k yous, i will wear what i want

His great Granda fought in WW1 I think.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Minder on November 05, 2011, 10:00:29 PM

well you probably know him minder being from down there, i think last year was the same if i can remember right. Maybe things have relaxed after the whole Donna Trainor episode from a few years back.

Jackie Fullerton had one interviewing Oran Kearney, who didnt. On other channels, this wouldnt happen
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Minder

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 05, 2011, 10:04:09 PM

well you probably know him minder being from down there, i think last year was the same if i can remember right. Maybe things have relaxed after the whole Donna Trainor episode from a few years back.

Jackie Fullerton had one interviewing Oran Kearney, who didnt. On other channels, this wouldnt happen

They shouldn't be put in the position where it is forced upon them, if they want to wear it fair enough and if they don't, the same.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Minder on November 05, 2011, 10:06:08 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on November 05, 2011, 10:04:09 PM

They shouldn't be put in the position where it is forced upon them, if they want to wear it fair enough and if they don't, the same.

thats my opinion too. Just watching the main BBC News here, and every person who has been interviewed has one on, some of the are speaking for lass than 10 seconds. As you say, if you want to wear one, wear one.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Have they interviewed anyone from the SDLP or SF?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Brought up on Spotlight tonight. Raymond McCartney, Conal McDevitt and Arlene Foster all happy to say they have no objection to a member of the other community wearing/not wearing (delete as appropriate) a poppy.

Mike Nesbitt shown to be a bit of a bollox saying he does get het up when he sees people not wearing one.

BennyCake

I heard people ringing into 606 on 5 live on Sunday. They were saying that the England team should be wearing poppies on their shirts just like the Premier League players. FIFA are against it though.

I wouldnt have thought NI catholic players aren't too happy about being forced to wear them. Also, how would a Premier League player from Iraq or Afghanistan feel if they were forced to wear a poppy on their shirts?

gallsman

Quote from: BennyCake on November 08, 2011, 11:59:56 PM
I heard people ringing into 606 on 5 live on Sunday. They were saying that the England team should be wearing poppies on their shirts just like the Premier League players. FIFA are against it though.

I wouldnt have thought NI catholic players aren't too happy about being forced to wear them. Also, how would a Premier League player from Iraq or Afghanistan feel if they were forced to wear a poppy on their shirts?

What would the reaction of The Sun and the Daily Mirror if the German national team decided to honour their war dead?

BennyCake

I'd buy the German shirt if it had a big Swastika on it  :D

ziggysego

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on November 09, 2011, 12:39:31 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2011, 12:26:30 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 08, 2011, 11:59:56 PM

What would the reaction of The Sun and the Daily Mirror if the German national team decided to honour their war dead?
FIFA have a ban on such international team kits having logos or emblems on them. One reason is that without such a rule you could have say Iran have an Anti-Isreal slogan on their shirts. Sweden a while back wanted an anti-drug slogan on their shirt but were refused permission.

The last few years over in England have seen a big rise in poppy facism, where if you're not seen wearing one you're automatically accused of being unpatriotic.

You only had to read the text and tweets coming into Spotlight tonight to see evidences of that.
Testing Accessibility

Declan

I don't get the whole Poppy thing on the football shirts myself. Martin Lipton was  on Newstalk last night saying there has always been a connection beteween the armed forces and football even bringing up the game on the front at Christmas in WW1 and then mentioning the infamous Nazi salute the England gave in Berlin in 1938 - Still didn't make sense to me though in making a case for the national team wearing them.

Very interesting piece from Fisk

magpie seanie

They've gone crazy about not being able to wear their Royal British Legion symbol on the soccer teams shirts against Spain. Massive outcry altogether. They can't understand FIFA's stance at all which makes me laugh. If they were playing Germany would it be ok to wear the poppy? Such clowns. Poppy fascism is rampant. FIFA are correct on this one.

Doogie Browser

I see from Gabrielle Marcotti on twitter that England played Sweden 10/11/01 and had no poppies or black armbands so what makes them more relevant now?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBJMlXOzJxc