Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on October 27, 2011, 09:31:53 PMBallaghadereen in County Mayo,
Stop living in the past y'eejit.
Ballagh has now spent 113 years in God's own special place and most of its residents ( except for the backward yahoos who run the GAA club) delight in the fact that their ancestors were rescued from the evil darkness .
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2011, 09:26:47 PMOf course there was a standardised spelling of Irish from the time we became Christianised ( 5th Century ) till we were enslaved and impoverished in the 17th ( by the forebears of the EGs of this world no doubt ).
As Hardstation would say, "Really?" I think you're bluffing on this one...

And as for the enslavement and impovishment, are you trying to tell me that Ireland was entirely free of such afflictions between the 5th and 17th Centuries?

I mean to say, have you not heard of eg the Viking raiders from Iceland and Scandinavia or the Corsairs from the Barbary Coast? Do you think Ireland was immune to eg The Black Death*? Do you imagine that there were no raids on Ireland from eg Scotland, Wales or the Western Isles? Or that there weren't internal feuds and wars which led to slavery and impoverishment?

And in any case, if as a poor, put-upon Gael you're feeling especially downtrodden and oppressed by us nasty Planters, you might ask yourself this: Were the Celts really the first people to settle in Ireland and if not, how do you think they got on with the people already there before them?  ::)

* - Try reading this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/ashorthistory/archive/topic38.shtml
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2011, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 08:41:31 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 27, 2011, 07:15:51 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 05:35:17 PMin 1811 ... the phrase was first used

I hardly think so.
OK, I shall indulge your pedantry.

"In 1798 the phrase was adopted by the 87Th (Princess of Wales's Irish) Regiment of Foot as its Regimental Motto, becoming especially famous following an engagement by the 2nd Battalion in the Battle of Barossa in 1811. It was subsequently retained by several other Irish Regiments of the British Army until the present day, it being the motto of the Royal Irish Regiment"

Happy now? For if you are, perhaps you could tell me (Apples, actually) whether there was any official, standardised way of spelling in Irish in 1798?

P.S. Could you tell me which of the following is correct spelling in today's Irish, "Fág an Bealach" or "Fág a' Bealach"?
Fág an Bealach, strictly speaking but it would take a complete t**t to pull you on that. I actually prefer the a' rather than the an.

There wouldn't have been an official, standardised way of spelling back then, I don't think.

Applesisapples, why not go up to Carey Faughs and tell them that they have it wrong? Just to point out again, btw, you have the wrong Irish spelling of Armagh on your profile.
Yes I've seen the debate on the spelling of Ard Mhaca before, but this is the accepted version as used by the team and County I support as goes also for Carey. Irrespective of the spelling the point I was really making was the Unionist Loyalist acceptance/obsession with the Irish motto of the RIR/UDR as opposed to their objection to an Irish Language Act which would strengthen and promote the language across all boundaries. And I suppose also EG's hypocrisy on the subject. Any way as he rightly pointed out this thread is really about another divisive symbol and so I digress. Pardon me please. Any way the debate is good and sure even Hardy and EG aren't always right so I'm in good c'pany! :D

Applesisapples

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2011, 09:58:06 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 28, 2011, 09:01:05 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2011, 08:57:04 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 08:41:31 PM
Quote from: Hardy on October 27, 2011, 07:15:51 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 05:35:17 PMin 1811 ... the phrase was first used

I hardly think so.
OK, I shall indulge your pedantry.

"In 1798 the phrase was adopted by the 87Th (Princess of Wales's Irish) Regiment of Foot as its Regimental Motto, becoming especially famous following an engagement by the 2nd Battalion in the Battle of Barossa in 1811. It was subsequently retained by several other Irish Regiments of the British Army until the present day, it being the motto of the Royal Irish Regiment"

Happy now? For if you are, perhaps you could tell me (Apples, actually) whether there was any official, standardised way of spelling in Irish in 1798?

P.S. Could you tell me which of the following is correct spelling in today's Irish, "Fág an Bealach" or "Fág a' Bealach"?
Fág an Bealach, strictly speaking but it would take a complete t**t to pull you on that. I actually prefer the a' rather than the an.

There wouldn't have been an official, standardised way of spelling back then, I don't think.

Applesisapples, why not go up to Carey Faughs and tell them that they have it wrong? Just to point out again, btw, you have the wrong Irish spelling of Armagh on your profile.
Yes I've seen the debate on the spelling of Ard Mhaca before, but this is the accepted version as used by the team and County I support as goes also for Carey. Irrespective of the spelling the point I was really making was the Unionist Loyalist acceptance/obsession with the Irish motto of the RIR/UDR as opposed to their objection to an Irish Language Act which would strengthen and promote the language across all boundaries. And I suppose also EG's hypocrisy on the subject. Any way as he rightly pointed out this thread is really about another divisive symbol and so I digress. Pardon me please. Any way the debate is good and sure even Hardy and EG aren't always right so I'm in good c'pany! :D
No it fcukin isn't, ya lunatic. They use Ard Mhacha, not Ard Mhaca!!!
oops, typo.Egg running down face as we speak... :D :D :D
Now fixed.

Rossfan

Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 11:41:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 27, 2011, 09:26:47 PMOf course there was a standardised spelling of Irish from the time we became Christianised ( 5th Century ) till we were enslaved and impoverished in the 17th ( by the forebears of the EGs of this world no doubt ).

I think you and that other buck will find that the learned classes that gave us the Book of Kells , Annals of the 4 Masters , Annals of Loch Cé etc etc would all have learned to spell the same way  ;).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Minder

A complaint by a Poundland employee in Lisburn has led to the company changing its policy over the wearing of poppies.

BBC

The woman walked out of the store in Bow Street Mall after she was asked to remove the poppy from her uniform as it was against company's dress policy.
Poundland said after listening to customer and staff feedback it had reviewed its UK policy.
The company apologised for any unintended offence caused.
"We have for some years operated a clear and simple dress code that store colleagues are requested to observe," said Jim McCarthy, Poundland's chief executive.
"The policy was designed to prevent issues arising that for whatever reason could upset individuals or communities and to focus our energy on raising money for colleague-nominated charities.
"On 28 October a situation in Northern Ireland was brought to the company's attention where a store colleague was politely asked to remove a poppy by our store manager in order to comply with company policy.
Staff discretion
"The store colleague decided to walk out and stated that she would return on Monday next wearing her poppy."
Mr McCarthy said the company had decided in the case of the poppy appeal to allow store colleagues to use their own discretion in wearing poppies.
"This change in policy is consistent with recent reviews of policy made by other leading high street retailers," he added.
Lagan Valley DUP MLA Paul Givan has welcomed the decision by Poundland to allow members of staff to wear poppies on their uniform.
"I was shocked and angered that my constituent, a member of staff in Poundland, Lisburn, had been treated in this manner by the company," he said.
"My constituent, who came to me for help, wears a poppy annually to commemorate the many servicemen who paid the ultimate sacrifice during various conflicts over the last century but, in particular, her own family members that served in Northern Ireland's security forces.
"Poundland by their absurd political correctness caused deep offence and politicised an emblem that is universally regarded as a symbol of remembrance and they failed to take into account clear guidance by the Equality Commission that the poppy is not regarded as an emblem that is contentious.
"Poundland seriously underestimated the hurt caused to their employee and the wider community."
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Minder on October 29, 2011, 04:57:58 PM
A complaint by a Poundland employee in Lisburn has led to the company changing its policy over the wearing of poppies.

BBC

The woman walked out of the store in Bow Street Mall after she was asked to remove the poppy from her uniform as it was against company's dress policy.
Poundland said after listening to customer and staff feedback it had reviewed its UK policy.
The company apologised for any unintended offence caused.
"We have for some years operated a clear and simple dress code that store colleagues are requested to observe," said Jim McCarthy, Poundland's chief executive.
"The policy was designed to prevent issues arising that for whatever reason could upset individuals or communities and to focus our energy on raising money for colleague-nominated charities.
"On 28 October a situation in Northern Ireland was brought to the company's attention where a store colleague was politely asked to remove a poppy by our store manager in order to comply with company policy.
Staff discretion
"The store colleague decided to walk out and stated that she would return on Monday next wearing her poppy."
Mr McCarthy said the company had decided in the case of the poppy appeal to allow store colleagues to use their own discretion in wearing poppies.
"This change in policy is consistent with recent reviews of policy made by other leading high street retailers," he added.
Lagan Valley DUP MLA Paul Givan has welcomed the decision by Poundland to allow members of staff to wear poppies on their uniform.
"I was shocked and angered that my constituent, a member of staff in Poundland, Lisburn, had been treated in this manner by the company," he said.
"My constituent, who came to me for help, wears a poppy annually to commemorate the many servicemen who paid the ultimate sacrifice during various conflicts over the last century but, in particular, her own family members that served in Northern Ireland's security forces.
"Poundland by their absurd political correctness caused deep offence and politicised an emblem that is universally regarded as a symbol of remembrance and they failed to take into account clear guidance by the Equality Commission that the poppy is not regarded as an emblem that is contentious.
"Poundland seriously underestimated the hurt caused to their employee and the wider community."

Wasn't there a similar story in Asda a few years ago in relation to people wearing GAA jersies.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

fitzroyalty

I don't mind people wearing poppies but people who take a hissyfit because they can't wear it to work is a joke.

Well for some that they can walk out of a shift to go and gurn to the local DUP who in turn runs with a root on to the media to ganch about the "great offence" caused. Shows were this person's priorities lie. Commemerate my hole.

The Worker

Quote from: fitzroyalty on October 29, 2011, 05:39:41 PM
I don't mind people wearing poppies but people who take a hissyfit because they can't wear it to work is a joke.

Well for some that they can walk out of a shift to go and gurn to the local DUP who in turn runs with a root on to the media to ganch about the "great offence" caused. Shows were this person's priorities lie. Commemerate my hole.

I concur. They are lucky to have a job in this current climate.

JUst retired

MGHU, the Asda problem was different. It was because kids were wearing GAA jersey`s in a fund raiseing effort to get funds for their club. A lot of Poppy wearer`s in this part of the world wear them as a badge of some kind of loyalty or show of their percieved loyalty. Or " up yours"  mentality. :(

Applesisapples

Quote from: JUst retired on October 30, 2011, 07:03:56 AM
MGHU, the Asda problem was different. It was because kids were wearing GAA jersey`s in a fund raiseing effort to get funds for their club. A lot of Poppy wearer`s in this part of the world wear them as a badge of some kind of loyalty or show of their percieved loyalty. Or " up yours"  mentality. :(
Actually it was Tesco in Antrim. Bizzarely the Antrim GAA Club has Protestant's playing for it.

turk

Quote from: Rossfan on October 28, 2011, 12:16:55 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on October 27, 2011, 11:41:20 PM

I think you and that other buck will find that the learned classes that gave us the Book of Kells , Annals of the 4 Masters , Annals of Loch Cé etc etc would all have learned to spell the same way  ;).

The Book of Kells is in Latin, so the standards body that dealt with spelling for these learned classes must have messed up there somewhere on the way.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 30, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
Actually it was Tesco in Antrim. Bizzarely the Antrim GAA Club has Protestant's playing for it.
Do mean "ironically" or do you mean bizarrely?

Applesisapples

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 30, 2011, 09:59:37 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 30, 2011, 09:21:20 PM
Do mean "ironically" or do you mean bizarrely?
I mean the protesters were bizarre.