Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogball88

Was one of those poppies with a shamrock on it

marty34

Quote from: bogball88 on November 01, 2019, 10:41:52 AM
Was one of those poppies with a shamrock on it

Is that to represent Irish soldiers who fought?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: marty34 on November 01, 2019, 10:25:15 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 31, 2019, 11:54:43 PM
I'd have expected better from her >:(

Doesn't surprise me - FG are wanna be Brits.
That smug p***k Richmond was wearing one on some BBCNI show the other night too.

Itchy

You would?? Id expect nothing from a pig but grunts.

Outside of the poppy, the voting against helping refugees in the Mediterranean was disgusting.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on November 01, 2019, 12:50:20 PM

You would?? Id expect nothing from a pig but grunts.

Outside of the poppy, the voting against helping refugees in the Mediterranean was disgusting.

Yeah, that was a disgrace.  Very bad form and should be brought up on a regular basis.

Wildweasel74

G lads u get rattled over very little.

marty34

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 01, 2019, 09:35:43 PM
G lads u get rattled over very little.

Are you talking about the vote in Europe or the poppy?

Dougal Maguire

As regards the Shamrock Poppy, it is different from the normal poppy on that it just remembers the Irish soldiers who fought in WW1 and the monies raised stay in Ireland. While I wouldn't wear one myself I think it's important to remember that many Irishmen, encouraged by people like John Redmond, fought in WW1 on the understanding that Ireland would get Home Rule as a result. I can understand why some would want to recognise their sacrifice.
Careful now

Armagh18

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 02, 2019, 05:27:23 AM
As regards the Shamrock Poppy, it is different from the normal poppy on that it just remembers the Irish soldiers who fought in WW1 and the monies raised stay in Ireland. While I wouldn't wear one myself I think it's important to remember that many Irishmen, encouraged by people like John Redmond, fought in WW1 on the understanding that Ireland would get Home Rule as a result. I can understand why some would want to recognise their sacrifice.
Poor fellas duped by the Brits and sent to be cannon fodder. Not unlike the ordinary Brits who died in WW1 as well.

BennyCake

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 02, 2019, 07:50:49 AM
Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 02, 2019, 05:27:23 AM
Poor fellas duped by the Brits and sent to be cannon fodder. Not unlike the ordinary Brits who died in WW1 as well.

Totally agree.  Also, it's not like the Brits to go back on their word, is it?

I actually think WW1 in particular was designed as one big cull of the population. The war to end all wars, eh? Whatever.

brokencrossbar1

The average English Tommy was no different from the Irish men that fought in WW1. All sold a lie by the powers that be and all used as a human sacrifice to determine a battle of royalty in middle Europe. All working class and lower in the eyes of the upper echelons so all dispensable.

RedHand88

Kings cross station, London
Do i get a prize?

BennyCake

No poppy on Kevin Kilbane earlier on Focus.

Expect to hear about it on Nolan come Monday morning.

Orior

Were all the Irish league players wearing them today in the occupied six?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

BennyCake

Interesting to note Derryman Shane Duffy wearing one on his Brighton shirt yesterday.